    a 240Watt PS for this system?
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Sep 5, 2005

  2. JTJersey

    Robert Baer Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > I'm setting up a microATX system in an InWin compact case. It's got a
    > 180Watt power supply installed which I'm replacing with a 240. I'm using
    > a 3Gig Celeron, 1Gig of DDRAM and 128Mb graphics card. I'll be using a
    > multi-card reader and a DVD-RW on occasion and will use WinXP Home for an
    > OS. My research is all over the board for power supply requirements.
    > Doing the math for each component and figuring for some lee-way it seems
    > that only a 450Watt and up will do, but I see systems everywhere running
    > nothing more than a 175 or 250Watt supplies with no problems. None of my
    > current machines have a PS over 400Watts and I use one of them for gaming
    > and video editing. What gives? Should I be concerned that I'll only have
    > a 240Watt PS for this system?

    You did not give any indication on the "math" you used.
    Take some arbitrary electrical/electronic "appliance" and look at the
    sticker on the back, and most will give a current "rating".
    This is almost always wrong and much higher than reality even in the
    most extreme conditions of normal useage.
    If that is what you did, then that is why you see such a large "error".
    250 watts is fine.
    Robert Baer, Sep 5, 2005