Power Supply Requirements

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Can anyone help me figure out
    1. Tell me if a specific system I have in mind would work without problems
    with a 350 watt power supply.
    2. What happens if you use too low of a power supply with a system.
    3. How to measure or determine the right power supply for a given system.
    Details follow.

    1. Basically, I'm trying to get a new system for myself (while keeping
    costs as low as possible). The current place I'm considering buying from
    offers me a 350 Watt Power Supply by default. I'd love to get it to 420
    watts, however, the way this place is set up, I'd have to change the case to
    get which raises the price by almost $50 which I rather not do unless I have
    to. The system is Athlon 2800 XP with 3 case fans (or 2 LED case fans if
    that matters). 2 hard drives. 1 DVD-ROM. 1 Flash Media Card Reader.
    Quite possibly also 1 CD-RW (I can leave this off as I have another system
    with a CD-RW I can use to burn CDs with). The case doesn't come with all
    the glowing neon lights everywhere...but considering it's only a few
    dollars, I might add some in IF it won't boost my power supply requirements
    by any noticeable amount. It will of course have video card (GeForce5600),
    fax/modem, etc. as well. So, with this system, am I safe with a 350 watt
    power supply (remember the CD-RW and any LED lights are optional for me if
    they present a problem)? Or must I have a 420 or higher watt power supply?

    2. So what happens, generally speaking, if you use a power supply that is
    too low for all your system needs? Will it still turn on? Does it have any
    possible chance of causing damage? Will the system perform at 100%
    functionality and if not, how will it be reduced?

    3. I vaguely remember there being some sort of rule of thumb for
    determining how big of a power supply is needed based on type or number of
    devices as well as a more exact way of measuring how much power your devices
    will take and buying the corresponding power supply to match it. If my
    vague memories are right, you also have take into account about the extra
    power the devices might draw at boot up as well as their normal drain.
    Unfortunately, it's all vague and been a while. Can someone tell me exactly
    how it all works for both the rule of thumb version as well as the more
    exact version? If the exact version requires, though, knowing the exact
    power each device draws, it won't help as I haven't bought the system in
    question.

    Thanks!

    Joe, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Joe

    philo Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help me figure out
    > 1. Tell me if a specific system I have in mind would work without

    problems
    > with a 350 watt power supply.
    > 2. What happens if you use too low of a power supply with a system.
    > 3. How to measure or determine the right power supply for a given system.
    > Details follow.
    >
    > 1. Basically, I'm trying to get a new system for myself (while keeping
    > costs as low as possible). The current place I'm considering buying from
    > offers me a 350 Watt Power Supply by default. I'd love to get it to 420
    > watts, however, the way this place is set up, I'd have to change the case

    > get which raises the price by almost $50 which I rather not do unless I

    have
    > to. The system is Athlon 2800 XP with 3 case fans (or 2 LED case fans if
    > that matters). 2 hard drives. 1 DVD-ROM. 1 Flash Media Card Reader.
    > Quite possibly also 1 CD-RW (I can leave this off as I have another system
    > with a CD-RW I can use to burn CDs with). The case doesn't come with all
    > the glowing neon lights everywhere...but considering it's only a few
    > dollars, I might add some in IF it won't boost my power supply

    requirements
    > by any noticeable amount. It will of course have video card

    (GeForce5600),
    > fax/modem, etc. as well. So, with this system, am I safe with a 350 watt
    > power supply (remember the CD-RW and any LED lights are optional for me if
    > they present a problem)? Or must I have a 420 or higher watt power

    supply?

    > 2. So what happens, generally speaking, if you use a power supply that is
    > too low for all your system needs? Will it still turn on? Does it have

    any
    > possible chance of causing damage? Will the system perform at 100%
    > functionality and if not, how will it be reduced?

    <snipped>

    A 350 watt supply should do the job...just be sure to get one of good
    quality...
    believe me...not all power supplies are built equally...

    If you get a "cheap" powersupply or use one that is undersized...
    you will probably end up with overheating and poor voltage regulation.

    philo, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Joe

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:32:51 GMT, "Joe" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >Can anyone help me figure out
    >1. Tell me if a specific system I have in mind would work without problems
    >with a 350 watt power supply.
    >2. What happens if you use too low of a power supply with a system.
    >3. How to measure or determine the right power supply for a given system.
    >Details follow.

    <chop>

    Quality is more important than quantity. Put another way, pay now or pay later... I
    prefer to avoid headaches whenever possible.
    A quality 350 watt p.s. is ample for that system. You may also want to consider the
    noise factor as well. Your vid card has a fan, right? They all add up.

    Shel-hed, Dec 20, 2003