Power Supply recommendations?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    most likely

    athlon x2 64 4600+
    2 hd's
    2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    a dvd burner
    1 floppy

    any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    suggested.

    I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
     
    Craig Sutton, Oct 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Craig Sutton

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:48:00 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    >most likely
    >
    >athlon x2 64 4600+
    >2 hd's
    >2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    >a dvd burner
    >1 floppy
    >
    >any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    >suggested.
    >
    >I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >

    Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?
     
    GraB, Oct 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > most likely
    >
    > athlon x2 64 4600+
    > 2 hd's
    > 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > a dvd burner
    > 1 floppy
    >
    > any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    > suggested.
    >
    > I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >


    My dream machine would have at least two redundant Power Factor Corrected PSUs.
     
    Mark Robinson, Oct 20, 2005
    #3
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:48:00 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > >most likely
    > >
    > >athlon x2 64 4600+
    > >2 hd's
    > >2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > >a dvd burner
    > >1 floppy
    > >
    > >any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have

    been
    > >suggested.
    > >
    > >I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    > >

    > Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?


    Yes I have seen that.. still looking for more options
     
    Craig Sutton, Oct 20, 2005
    #4
  5. Craig Sutton

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    news:dj8066$1g6$...
    > For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > most likely
    >
    > athlon x2 64 4600+
    > 2 hd's
    > 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > a dvd burner
    > 1 floppy
    >
    > any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    > suggested.
    >
    > I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >

    Thermal take 680watt butterfly perhaps?
    >
    >
    >
     
    Krazy Bob, Oct 20, 2005
    #5
  6. In article <dj8066$1g6$>,
    says...
    > For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > most likely
    >
    > athlon x2 64 4600+
    > 2 hd's
    > 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > a dvd burner
    > 1 floppy
    >
    > any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    > suggested.
    >
    > I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >


    Nexus & Antec come to mind. It so happens Ascent have a big Antec PSU on
    special on their front page. I would also second Enermax. There's a
    European make To* something that is very highly rated but I can't find
    in in Ascent and pp just now ... can't even recall the name (it's been
    nearly half a year <sigh>).

    -P.


    --
    =========================================
    firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
     
    Peter Huebner, Oct 20, 2005
    #6
  7. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:48:00 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    >most likely
    >
    >athlon x2 64 4600+
    >2 hd's
    >2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    >a dvd burner
    >1 floppy
    >
    >any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    >suggested.
    >
    >I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >
    >
    >
    >



    Ennermax have 3 year warrantee, yes I am using one..

    Keep away from PFC ones as they are tuning out to be unreliable..
     
    XP, Oct 20, 2005
    #7
  8. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:02:37 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:48:00 +1300, "Craig Sutton"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    >>most likely
    >>
    >>athlon x2 64 4600+
    >>2 hd's
    >>2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    >>a dvd burner
    >>1 floppy
    >>
    >>any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    >>suggested.
    >>
    >>I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >>

    >Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?




    Please don't..

    Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..
     
    XP, Oct 20, 2005
    #8
  9. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:34:12 +1300, "Krazy Bob" <@gmail.com> wrote:

    >
    >"Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    >news:dj8066$1g6$...
    >> For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    >> most likely
    >>
    >> athlon x2 64 4600+
    >> 2 hd's
    >> 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    >> a dvd burner
    >> 1 floppy
    >>
    >> any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    >> suggested.
    >>
    >> I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >>

    >Thermal take 680watt butterfly perhaps?




    Do not have a decent Warrantee here, only one year. 2 years is the factory
    warrantee and no decent specs like MTBF..

    So keep well away ..
     
    XP, Oct 20, 2005
    #9
  10. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:26:40 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <dj8066$1g6$>,
    >says...
    >> For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    >> most likely
    >>
    >> athlon x2 64 4600+
    >> 2 hd's
    >> 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    >> a dvd burner
    >> 1 floppy
    >>
    >> any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    >> suggested.
    >>
    >> I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >>

    >
    >Nexus & Antec come to mind. It so happens Ascent have a big Antec PSU on
    >special on their front page. I would also second Enermax. There's a
    >European make To* something that is very highly rated but I can't find
    >in in Ascent and pp just now ... can't even recall the name (it's been
    >nearly half a year <sigh>).
    >
    >-P.




    Have a look at ones that has a decent Factory warrantee and MTBF specs..
     
    XP, Oct 21, 2005
    #10
  11. Craig Sutton

    colinco Guest

    In article Peter Huebner says...
    > It so happens Ascent have a big Antec PSU on
    > special on their front page. I would also second Enermax.
    >

    The Enermax that GraB suggested is newer design and cheaper
     
    colinco, Oct 21, 2005
    #11
  12. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:26:40 +1300, Peter Huebner

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <dj8066$1g6$>,
    > >says...
    > >> For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > >> most likely
    > >>
    > >> athlon x2 64 4600+
    > >> 2 hd's
    > >> 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > >> a dvd burner
    > >> 1 floppy
    > >>
    > >> any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have

    been
    > >> suggested.
    > >>
    > >> I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    > >>

    > >
    > >Nexus & Antec come to mind. It so happens Ascent have a big Antec PSU on
    > >special on their front page. I would also second Enermax. There's a
    > >European make To* something that is very highly rated but I can't find
    > >in in Ascent and pp just now ... can't even recall the name (it's been
    > >nearly half a year <sigh>).
    > >
    > >-P.

    >
    >
    >
    > Have a look at ones that has a decent Factory warrantee and MTBF specs..
    >

    If it fails I will send it back untamperd and have it replaced
     
    Craig Sutton, Oct 21, 2005
    #12
  13. Craig Sutton

    Rex Havoc Guest

    >>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?
    >
    >
    >
    > Please don't..
    >
    > Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..


    Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!

    Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
     
    Rex Havoc, Oct 21, 2005
    #13
  14. Craig Sutton

    shannon Guest

    Rex Havoc wrote:
    >>>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Please don't..
    >>
    >>Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..

    >
    >
    > Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!
    >
    > Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
    >
    >
    >


    Woger
     
    shannon, Oct 21, 2005
    #14
  15. Craig Sutton

    EMB Guest

    Rex Havoc wrote:
    >>>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>Please don't..
    >>
    >>Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..

    >
    >
    > Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!
    >
    > Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?


    Roger Sheppard, Kapiti Coast resident.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Oct 21, 2005
    #15
  16. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:47:41 +1300, "Rex Havoc" <> wrote:

    >>>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Please don't..
    >>
    >> Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..

    >
    >Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!
    >
    >Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
    >
    >




    No they do not and I should no..
     
    XP, Oct 21, 2005
    #16
  17. Craig Sutton

    EMB Guest

    XP wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:47:41 +1300, "Rex Havoc" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Please don't..
    >>>
    >>>Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..

    >>
    >>Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!
    >>
    >>Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
    >>
    >>


    > No they do not and I should no..


    Roger

    The previous poster was Mark Francis from pp. I'd guess he might be
    just a tad more qualified than you are to comment on pp's support of the
    CGA.

    If you have evidence that they are shirking their responsibilities under
    the CGA how about you post it online.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Oct 21, 2005
    #17
  18. Craig Sutton

    Rex Havoc Guest

    >> Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
    >
    > Roger Sheppard, Kapiti Coast resident.
    >
    >
    > --
    > EMB


    Thanks EMB, that explains everything.
     
    Rex Havoc, Oct 21, 2005
    #18
  19. Craig Sutton

    Matt Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    news:dj8066$1g6$...
    > For my dream machine? any suggestions of a power supply up to the task?
    > most likely
    >
    > athlon x2 64 4600+
    > 2 hd's
    > 2 7800 gtx graphics cards
    > a dvd burner
    > 1 floppy
    >
    > any suggestions on make/model of power supply Acbel and Ennermax have been
    > suggested.
    >
    > I would say a 550 watt would be the minimum to go for?
    >


    Id second Enermax to you, been using them in dual xeon servers for 2-3 years
    now, no problems at all. Id also recommend a decent UPS, that does all your
    filtering. Probably aim for a decent sized one, ~1000VA or there abouts. Ive
    been using Belkin 1200VA ones as mid-range / cheaper potions, though you
    cant beat APC, I think they are great.

    Cheers

    Matt
     
    Matt, Oct 21, 2005
    #19
  20. Craig Sutton

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:27:36 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >XP wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:47:41 +1300, "Rex Havoc" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>>>Had a look at this: http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsD.php?pp_id=PSU00082 ?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>Please don't..
    >>>>
    >>>>Go for Ascent as they support the CGA..
    >>>
    >>>Excuse me?! Paradigm PCs do support the CGA. I should know!
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone reading this know who this XP person is?
    >>>
    >>>

    >
    >> No they do not and I should no..

    >
    >Roger
    >
    >The previous poster was Mark Francis from pp. I'd guess he might be
    >just a tad more qualified than you are to comment on pp's support of the
    >CGA.
    >
    >If you have evidence that they are shirking their responsibilities under
    >the CGA how about you post it online.




    No never as most here break the law by posting detail about people, that is
    illegal, I have posted some Facts about Ascent for you all to read see if
    other mail order site that have similar info..

    Far to many idiots here in this news group..
     
    XP, Oct 21, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    HEC Ace Power 580UB 580Watt power supply

    Silverstrand, Jul 23, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    866
    Silverstrand
    Jul 23, 2005
  2. Silverstrand

    AOpen Prima Power AO700-12ALN 700W Power Supply Review

    Silverstrand, Aug 27, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,505
    unholy
    Aug 29, 2005
  3. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,124
    Silverstrand
    Feb 21, 2006
  4. nick
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,436
  5. Ken Lucke

    Solar power supply recommendations wanted

    Ken Lucke, Feb 6, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    78
    Views:
    1,465
    Paul Rubin
    Feb 9, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page