    the one that's going bad? I'm afraid it has been discontinued.

    Thanks for any help!

    David
    dh@., Aug 22, 2010

  2. dh@.

    - Bobb - Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I work at a night club and we have a lighting control board that
    > has two mother boards. The other day it wouldn't try to come on
    > at all, acting like it wasn't getting power. So I made sure it
    > was getting power, unplugged and plugged it back several times,
    > and tried starting it several times. Finally after a number of
    > attempts it started up and ran fine, but a couple of tech people
    > said it sounds like the power supply is going bad. It has a HIGH
    > POWER® HPC-360-302 DF power supply. If I remember right it has
    > five connectors: 1 twenty wire, 3 four wire, and 1 two wire. We
    > tried replacing it with a newer type from Micro Center, and had
    > to use an adapter to try to make the two wire connector work. It
    > looked like everything connected right but it never would boot up
    > with that power supply, and said it needed us to insert a system
    > disc or something. When I put the old power supply back in it
    > started up fine again. Can anyone let me know what happened, and
    > suggest what to do if we can't get another power supply just like
    > the one that's going bad? I'm afraid it has been discontinued.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > David

    Not being obvious, but was the 'two wire' for the disk drive ? The 'adapter
    that you needed' apparently didn't work ? IT did FIT though ? Can you give
    us a link to what you have and details.
    On the good PS , check the voltage across those 2 pins and compare. I'd go
    to the website for the "lighting control board" / motherboard company to see
    specs.
    - Bobb -, Aug 22, 2010

  3. dh@.

    noi ance Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:20:39 -0400, dh typed this message:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I work at a night club and we have a lighting control board that has two
    > mother boards. The other day it wouldn't try to come on at all, acting
    > like it wasn't getting power. So I made sure it was getting power,
    > unplugged and plugged it back several times, and tried starting it
    > several times. Finally after a number of attempts it started up and ran
    > fine, but a couple of tech people said it sounds like the power supply
    > is going bad. It has a HIGH POWER® HPC-360-302 DF power supply. If I
    > remember right it has five connectors: 1 twenty wire, 3 four wire, and 1
    > two wire. We tried replacing it with a newer type from Micro Center, and
    > had to use an adapter to try to make the two wire connector work. It
    > looked like everything connected right but it never would boot up with
    > that power supply, and said it needed us to insert a system disc or
    > something. When I put the old power supply back in it started up fine
    > again. Can anyone let me know what happened, and suggest what to do if
    > we can't get another power supply just like the one that's going bad?
    > I'm afraid it has been discontinued.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > David

    Did you need to attach the extra 4pin connector to the motherboard? The
    2 wire is typically to power fans, so, maybe the motherboard needs the
    24pin power connection instead of a 20pin connection from that power
    supply. Or you could have just missed securely plugging in the
    connections.

    noi ance, Aug 25, 2010
  4. dh@.

    Paul Guest

    dh@. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I work at a night club and we have a lighting control board that
    > has two mother boards. The other day it wouldn't try to come on
    > at all, acting like it wasn't getting power. So I made sure it
    > was getting power, unplugged and plugged it back several times,
    > and tried starting it several times. Finally after a number of
    > attempts it started up and ran fine, but a couple of tech people
    > said it sounds like the power supply is going bad. It has a HIGH
    > POWER® HPC-360-302 DF power supply. If I remember right it has
    > five connectors: 1 twenty wire, 3 four wire, and 1 two wire. We
    > tried replacing it with a newer type from Micro Center, and had
    > to use an adapter to try to make the two wire connector work. It
    > looked like everything connected right but it never would boot up
    > with that power supply, and said it needed us to insert a system
    > disc or something. When I put the old power supply back in it
    > started up fine again. Can anyone let me know what happened, and
    > suggest what to do if we can't get another power supply just like
    > the one that's going bad? I'm afraid it has been discontinued.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > David

    Most likely reason the Micro Center supply doesn't "work", is
    modern supplies are missing the -5V output.

    http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc360302df.htm#sp

    The HPC-360-302 does have -5V. The usage of -5V was discontinued
    years ago (10+ years ???). Motherboards really should not be using
    it, but occasionally you run into an older system that still has
    that dependency. Such an old motherboard won't start, unless -5V
    is present.

    It is pretty hard to detect whether a motherboard needs it or not.
    Even if you took an ammeter, and measured current flow from the
    -5V pin on the main connector, the current draw could be so small
    as to be inconclusive. The motherboard won't be drawing gobs of
    power from that rail.

    If you look at the Micro Center supply, you'll find one pin is
    missing from the main connector. When the latest ATX standard
    removed -5V, they just removed the pin from the connector, so
    that there would be no connection to the motherboard on that
    pin. You can use that fact, or you can look at the label
    on the side of the supply, to see there is no mention of
    a current rating for -5V.

    You have two choices. Find an older supply, one with -5V on it.
    Or, if you have a friend who is acquainted with electronics,
    get the friend to hook up a 7905 regulator to the -12V, and
    make -5V from that. (You'll also need to install a pin
    in the "empty" location on the main connector, and connect
    your -5V circuit to that pin.) As long as the current draw
    from -5V is not too large, it might work. That alternative
    should only be contemplated if you really can't find an
    older supply. (Some day, finding a supply with -5V on it,
    is going to be impossible.)

    I think I have one computer in the house here, that needs
    -5V. And I'm not looking forward to finding another
    supply for it.

    (Power supply specs, oldest to newest. The first spec
    is for a supply that still has -5V. Compare that, to
    the other two specs.)

    http://web.archive.org/web/20030424...org/developer/specs/atx/ATX_ATX12V_PS_1_1.pdf

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/ATX12V_1_3dg.pdf

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    This is an example of a supply that claims to have some -5V
    output. This is not particularly balanced with respect to
    older motherboards. Some of the older ones, have more
    load on 3.3V and/or 5V, and the 12V might only need 15 amps
    or a bit more. This one has a lot of 12V capacity (good for
    modern systems, where the processor uses the 12V rail, as
    well as PCI Express video cards). But the 3.3V and 5V could
    use more amperes, to help older systems. (I have a system here,
    that needs 25 amps from +5V, an old S462 Athlon system>)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338022

    Sorry I can't find anything better than that. You may have to
    visit a smaller retailer, search around some surplus place,
    to find the right kind of supply.

    I have no idea where this company is located, what their reputation
    is, but at least the basic power numbers look good.

    http://www.mypccase.com/46foramdduat.html

    (This page has a few pictures of the ZIPPY HP2-6460P-SATA version.)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103707

    (This page claims to have one unit in stock.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Zippy-HP2-646...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283071387&sr=8-1

    (This page has connector details. You would connect the 2x2 ATX12V
    to your system, and leave the 2x4 12V connector disconnected. This
    supply is also capable of powering dual Xeon systems with the eight
    pin power connector for the processors.)

    http://www.btostech.com/store/pc/HP2-6460P-Zippy-Emacs-460-watts-PS2-power-supply-56p124.htm

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, Aug 29, 2010