    I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply using
    power splitters.

    Thanks for any advice from Eddie....

    eddie, Jun 9, 2005

  2. eddie

    Yddap Guest

    In news:d87u3o$3ok$-infra.bt.com,
    eddie <> opined very noisily:
    > Hi
    > I am building my first computer
    > Abit N7 motherboard
    > 3200 CPU
    > 1 Gig of memory
    > CD writer
    > DVD writer
    > 120 Gig hard drive
    > 128 Graphics card
    > one 120mm fan and two 80mm fans
    >
    > I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply
    > using power splitters.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice from Eddie....

    First computor ?

    IBM motherboard
    > 386 CPU
    > 16 Meg of memory
    > CD Rom
    > ************
    > 120 Meg hard drive
    > Graphics card
    > one fan > .

    connect it to a Car Battery ( 12 V )
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Jun 9, 2005

  3. eddie

    FML Guest

    eddie wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am building my first computer
    > Abit N7 motherboard
    > 3200 CPU
    > 1 Gig of memory
    > CD writer
    > DVD writer
    > 120 Gig hard drive
    > 128 Graphics card
    > one 120mm fan and two 80mm fans
    >
    > I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply using
    > power splitters.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice from Eddie....

    Read this article. It will answer your question. Don't forget CPU fan
    and Video Card fan. Also, just curious, why both a CD and DVD writer. If
    I were building a system, I'd go with DVD-ROM and DVD Writer instead.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119585,00.asp

    FML, Jun 9, 2005
  4. eddie

    doS Guest

    Most dvd writers burn cds slow. I got a combo drive(dvd rom and 52x cd
    burner)

    doS, Jun 9, 2005
  5. eddie

    FML Guest

    doS wrote:
    > Most dvd writers burn cds slow. I got a combo drive(dvd rom and 52x cd
    > burner)

    Yeah, that's what I meant. A DVD ROM and a DVD/CD Combo Writer.

    FML, Jun 9, 2005
  6. You are better off with something with a little more Juice than 400 Watts.
    I'd go with 450 to be on the safe side. I can see that there may be a Video
    Card upgrade in the near future... they eat a lot of power.

    Having excess power is better than insufficient.

    I'm running P4 2.26 GHZ, 768 DDR RAM, 200 GB HDD, 40 GB HDD, 128 MB Video
    Card (GeForce FX5600) and I'm running a 400 Watt Supply, just to be on the
    safe side.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong

    Lawrence A. Wong, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Lawrence A. Wong wrote:

    > You are better off with something with a little more Juice than 400 Watts.
    > I'd go with 450 to be on the safe side. I can see that there may be a Video
    > Card upgrade in the near future... they eat a lot of power.

    A hair larger would be the Antec 480W PSU's. I have their TruePower
    480, which I bought after reading quite a few reviews/tests.

    > Having excess power is better than insufficient.

    And better PSUs are generally going to provide better regulated power,
    as well; it's not just a matter of wattage.

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/bhard.html

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 9, 2005
  8. eddie wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am building my first computer
    > Abit N7 motherboard
    > 3200 CPU
    > 1 Gig of memory
    > CD writer
    > DVD writer
    > 120 Gig hard drive
    > 128 Graphics card
    > one 120mm fan and two 80mm fans
    >
    > I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply using
    > power splitters.

    Should be fine unless you plan on purchasing a really power hungry
    graphics card. I run an AMD64 system with 3 harddrives and two optical
    drives on a 350 watt PSU, no problems.

    Jeroen

    Jeroen Wijnands, Jun 9, 2005
  9. eddie

    Plato Guest

    eddie wrote:

    > I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply using
    > power splitters.

    Yeah, no problem.

    Plato, Jun 9, 2005
  10. eddie

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:14:00 +0000 (UTC), "eddie"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am building my first computer
    >Abit N7 motherboard
    >3200 CPU
    >1 Gig of memory
    >CD writer
    >DVD writer
    >120 Gig hard drive
    >128 Graphics card
    >one 120mm fan and two 80mm fans
    >
    >I would like to know if I would get away with a 400 watt Power supply using
    >power splitters.

    In my experience splitters are best avoided but for the above sytem
    you might get away with it. If you really insist on using them, bend
    the female connectors in so they are not loose when plugged in.

    NEVER split more than once i.e. DON'T split then resplit

    I use a Thermaltake ATX420W (a bit old now) which has nine of the
    large 12 V outlets (for HD, CD drives etc) and three of the small (for
    1.44 floppy drive etc) to avoid this very problem. I have 4 HDs and 3
    CD/DVD drives in my system.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jun 10, 2005