Power Supply Prob - WinMCE 2005 HTPC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Crockett, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Crockett

    Crockett Guest

    Hi all -
    Built an HTPC this past weekend (my first diy pc).

    After some video probs and problems installing xp mce 2005, i finally got my
    pc working last night and was all psyched to be able to record tv etc.
    Powered down my PC last night and went to bed (windows shut down).

    Came home from work 2day, hit the power button, and nothing happened. No
    sign of power loss (i.e., clocks all had right time in home) during the day.
    Other peripherals (speakers, tv, cable box) all had power.

    Opened up the case, mobo shows power (green light on board). turned on and
    off the power supply - hit power on PC, power light on PC shines, but no
    boot, no turning of fans (not even on power supply).

    Took apart PC - ensuring all power cables were connected properly. Looked to
    see that there were no errant screws or anything of metal that might be
    shorting things out. put the pc back together and still the power light on
    the case works and mobo lights up, but no power any where else.

    Then selectively took power out of cd and tried to power up -- nada. Same w/
    hard drive (thinking maybe 1 piece of the puzzle was faulty).

    In any event - I'm at a total loss as to what I should do next.

    Power supply seems to be working, or else the mobo and case pwr light
    wouldn't work -- right??? Could it be the mobo is faulty? Maybe the power
    switch?

    What do you all suggest I do to eliminate faulty components?

    Anyways -- any thoughts or suggestions will be most appreaciated.

    Here are my specs (if it helps)
    os - mce 2005 msdn
    mobo - intel perll (or something like that)
    cpu - intel p4 2.8 800fsb
    psu - ultra 400watt
    dvdrw - benq 8x
    hd - wd 200 gig IDE
    sound - old turtle beach santa cruz
    tvcap - hauppage wintv 250
    vid - ati aiw 9600
    case - silvertech lco1

    thanks again -

    --
    www.rubiconsult.com
    www.funktionality.net

    Crockett, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Crockett

    James Hilton Guest

    "Crockett" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all -
    > Built an HTPC this past weekend (my first diy pc).
    >
    > After some video probs and problems installing xp mce 2005, i finally got

    my
    > pc working last night and was all psyched to be able to record tv etc.
    > Powered down my PC last night and went to bed (windows shut down).
    >
    > Came home from work 2day, hit the power button, and nothing happened. No
    > sign of power loss (i.e., clocks all had right time in home) during the

    day.
    > Other peripherals (speakers, tv, cable box) all had power.
    >
    > Opened up the case, mobo shows power (green light on board). turned on and
    > off the power supply - hit power on PC, power light on PC shines, but no
    > boot, no turning of fans (not even on power supply).
    >
    > Took apart PC - ensuring all power cables were connected properly. Looked

    > see that there were no errant screws or anything of metal that might be
    > shorting things out. put the pc back together and still the power light on
    > the case works and mobo lights up, but no power any where else.
    >
    > Then selectively took power out of cd and tried to power up -- nada. Same

    w/
    > hard drive (thinking maybe 1 piece of the puzzle was faulty).
    >
    > In any event - I'm at a total loss as to what I should do next.
    >
    > Power supply seems to be working, or else the mobo and case pwr light
    > wouldn't work -- right??? Could it be the mobo is faulty? Maybe the power
    > switch?
    >
    > What do you all suggest I do to eliminate faulty components?
    >
    > Anyways -- any thoughts or suggestions will be most appreaciated.
    >
    > Here are my specs (if it helps)
    > os - mce 2005 msdn
    > mobo - intel perll (or something like that)
    > cpu - intel p4 2.8 800fsb
    > psu - ultra 400watt
    > dvdrw - benq 8x
    > hd - wd 200 gig IDE
    > sound - old turtle beach santa cruz
    > tvcap - hauppage wintv 250
    > vid - ati aiw 9600
    > case - silvertech lco1
    >
    > thanks again -
    >
    > --
    > www.rubiconsult.com
    > www.funktionality.net

    I had the very same problem last week. Baught a new case with 350 watt power
    supply. Put it all togather and it worked fineshut it down and it would not
    come on. The led on the mother board was on but it would not do any thing
    when you pushed the power button. I tried bypassing the power button by
    shouting the two pins that the switch connects to but no good.

    I had a spare power supply so I replaced the new one with it, and it worked.
    The PC came on normally and has been working OK. I now have a new 500 watt
    power supply on it.

    I tried the power supply that came with the case on another PC and it would
    not work.

    Who knows? Try another power supply, but check the power switch first.

    James Hilton, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Crockett

    rob Guest

    "James Hilton" <> wrote in message news:<Ggkfd.15641$lp6.1005@okepread01>...
> [...]

    > > --
    > > www.rubiconsult.com
    > > www.funktionality.net
    > >

    > I had the very same problem last week. Baught a new case with 350 watt power
    > supply. Put it all togather and it worked fineshut it down and it would not
    > come on. The led on the mother board was on but it would not do any thing
    > when you pushed the power button. I tried bypassing the power button by
    > shouting the two pins that the switch connects to but no good.
    >
    > I had a spare power supply so I replaced the new one with it, and it worked.
    > The PC came on normally and has been working OK. I now have a new 500 watt
    > power supply on it.
    >
    > I tried the power supply that came with the case on another PC and it would
    > not work.
    >
    > Who knows? Try another power supply, but check the power switch first.

    Thx man - someone on another board gave me similar advice - chances
    are its a faulty pwr supply - maybe bump it up to 500 watts like you
    did...

    appreciate the help...

    rob.

    rob, Oct 26, 2004