    "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone else
    had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
    happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

    Chris, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Chris

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe it's the mechanical gremlins, eh? They don't need no stinkin'
    details to phark up your system.

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:07:28 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bs1e1v$q6c$>
    Chris scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 20, 2003

  3. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
    > necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

    more
    > mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of

    time
    > simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the

    thought
    > of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might

    be
    > dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
    > "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it,

    anyone else
    > had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
    > happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

    CPU may be overheating

    Steven Pilbeam, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I dont think its on long enough to overheat, plus the fans working.
    thanks for that anyway.

    Chris, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Chris

    CB Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    || I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
    || necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's
    || a more mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random
    || amounts of time simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a
    || virus... no, then the thought of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me
    || that the power supply unit might be dodgy. Made sure all wires were
    || firmly pressed in, but still it simply "turns off". Before I sling
    || it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone else had a similar
    || experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things happen to
    || ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

    Well this is tricky! What's the random amount of time? minutes, hours.

    I'd check in the the BIOS as well and use the default settings.Are you sure
    that there aren't any loose electrical connections?
    As for a dodgy power supply the only way is either to test it, not easy if
    you don't have the necessary tools or plug a known good one to the MoBo.

    Why not download Aida32 a diagnostics programme run it on the machine & see
    if it finds anything?

    Not much help sorry!

    CB
    --
    Craven and District Bird News
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    CB, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Chris

    marcus booth Guest

    Hi,

    I had exactly the same problem................it was the power supply,
    everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put everything into
    another computer & went through a process of elimination.

    The power supply would work ok sometimes for an hour, other it would for
    just 30mins before it cut out & restarted............the fan in the power
    supply unit would slow down also as the cut out began...........this is what
    led me to believe it was the psu & nothing else.

    I had 3 new power supply units all of different wattages before i got one to
    work ok. I had a 500,350 & a 300 watt psu all showed the same problem, it
    was only when i took my system into a pc shop & had it bench tested were my
    suspicions confirmed, i now have a 400watt psu & all works ok.

    Hope this helps, & good luck.

    Marcus
    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
    > necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

    more
    > mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of time
    > simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the thought
    > of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might be
    > dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
    > "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone

    else
    > had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
    > happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

    ---
    When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

    ---
    When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

    marcus booth, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Chris

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "marcus booth" <> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
    : I had exactly the same problem................it was the power supply,
    : everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put everything
    into
    : another computer & went through a process of elimination.

    Yup its the power supply. Your fans will work even if the power supply is
    bad.

    Ghostmaster, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi Marcus, thats a great help. Could you tell me if the three you tried
    exhibited the same problem? I dont understand why 3 should repeat the fault
    if the problem lay with one that was kaput?

    Chris, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Chris

    CB Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    || Hi Marcus, thats a great help. Could you tell me if the three you
    || tried exhibited the same problem? I dont understand why 3 should
    || repeat the fault if the problem lay with one that was kaput?
    || "marcus booth" <> wrote in message
    ||| Hi,
    ||| I had exactly the same problem................it was the power
    ||| supply, everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put
    ||| everything into another computer & went through a process of
    ||| elimination.
    ||| The power supply would work ok sometimes for an hour, other it
    ||| would for just 30mins before it cut out & restarted............the
    ||| fan in the power supply unit would slow down also as the cut out
    ||| began...........this is what led me to believe it was the psu &
    ||| nothing else.
    ||| I had 3 new power supply units all of different wattages before i
    ||| got one to work ok. I had a 500,350 & a 300 watt psu all showed the
    ||| same problem, it was only when i took my system into a pc shop &
    ||| had it bench tested were my suspicions confirmed, i now have a
    ||| 400watt psu & all works ok.
    ||| Hope this helps, & good luck.
    ||| Marcus
    ||| "Chris" <> wrote in message
    ||| ---
    ||| When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.
    ||| ---
    ||| When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

    Nor do I!

    CB, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Well chaps, thanks a lot. It's up in the loft. Can't be bothered until after
    Chrimbo now. Theres only one thing worse than having a knackered computer
    lying around and thats a knackered car.!!!

    Chris, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Chris

    Ghostmaster Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    : Hi Marcus, thats a great help. Could you tell me if the three you tried
    : exhibited the same problem? I dont understand why 3 should repeat the
    fault
    : if the problem lay with one that was kaput?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : "marcus booth" <> wrote in message
    : news:bs1hdq$io9$...
    : > Hi,
    :
    <snip>

    : >
    : > Marcus
    : > "Chris" <> wrote in message
    : > news:bs1e1v$q6c$...
    : > > I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
    : > > necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a
    : > more
    : > > mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of
    : time
    : > > simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the
    : thought
    : > > of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might
    be
    : > > dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
    : > > "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it,
    anyone
    : > else
    : > > had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
    : > > happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.
    <sniP>
    : >
    :
    :
    Did you happen to notice the beeps when you booted up?

    Look at PC notice if your light is coming on (if you have one) If the light
    is on, and the fan is on then you are getting power to the pc. Never judge
    if you have bad power by the fans working or not. The main fan is not
    connected to the power supply. You will still hear a fan running. If the
    fan is not working, and the pc is not working, then no power is getting to
    the pc. They can test the power supply to see if it is bad. If you wanted
    to know if it was guess work in the shop. No it isnt. They can use a
    voltmeter to test this. That is, they can test it if you was taking it to
    the shop.

    Ghostmaster, Dec 20, 2003