Power supply noise

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sab, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    This morning, I switched my pc on and I noticed a loud noise coming out of
    the power supply. I already had that about a month ago so I cleaned my pc
    and it went away. But today I cleaned it again and it was still making this
    noise. I had to open the case and hit the top of the power supply a couple
    of times to make it stop! I think I have to replace the power supply but I
    don't know what kind I can install.
    I have a Deer DR-250C (250W AT). Can I install a 300W (or more) and does it
    have to be AT or can it be ATX? Could someone explain the differences and
    give me some advice on which power supply I should buy? Thanks.

    Config:
    Gigabyte GA-6VA motherboard
    PIII 500Mhz
    256Mb SDRAM
    120Gb Western Digital Caviar hard drive
    Creative 52x CDRom
    LG 12x8x32x CDWriter
    S3 Savage4 video card
    SoundBlaster 128 sound card
    DLink Eternet PCI
    Win98se

    Sab.
    Sab, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Sab

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sab said:

    > Hi
    > This morning, I switched my pc on and I noticed a loud noise coming out of
    > the power supply. I already had that about a month ago so I cleaned my pc
    > and it went away. But today I cleaned it again and it was still making this
    > noise. I had to open the case and hit the top of the power supply a couple
    > of times to make it stop! I think I have to replace the power supply but I
    > don't know what kind I can install.
    > I have a Deer DR-250C (250W AT). Can I install a 300W (or more) and does it
    > have to be AT or can it be ATX? Could someone explain the differences and
    > give me some advice on which power supply I should buy? Thanks.

    Oh boy, you had a noise from the power supply, so you cleaned the pc.
    The noise came back so you opened the case and whacked the power supply.
    Er.... the noise is the power supply fan, have you tried cleaning it.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Sab

    Harrison Guest

    Probably the fan in the PS.
    These can be serviced and or replaced by skilled technicians.
    You may want to just buy a new one.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

    Sab, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

    Sab, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Sab

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:32:50 -0500, "Sab" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

    300 watt or higher. ATX.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Sab

    Harrison Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:40:13 -0500, "Sab" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

    Most fans have a rubber plug or cover or some sort which can be
    removed to allow access to the bearings. A couple of drops of a good
    teflon based lubricant will usually do the trick.

    Harrison, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Sab

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sab said:

    > Hi
    > I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

    How do you know you need to buy a new one?
    You cleaned your pc and whacked the power supply because it was making a noise.

    Brian H¹©, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Sab

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sab said:

    > Hi
    > I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

    OK, how did you clean it?
    Did you take the fan out, or did you just blow on it?

    Brian H¹©, Jan 12, 2004
  10. Sab

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Sab wrote:
    > Hi
    > This morning, I switched my pc on and I noticed a loud noise coming out of
    > the power supply.

    As others have said, that is the fan. The bearings/bushing have/has
    worn so that it sometimes contacts the edge - and a little
    "Percussive Maintenance" can temporarily re-seat the blade mount.
    But you have to replace the fan. - RM
    Rick Merrill, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Sab

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:43:20 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> scribbled:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:32:50 -0500, "Sab" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I know I have to buy a new one but I don't know which one.

    >300 watt or higher. ATX.

    Didn't he say it was an AT board?

    >><Harrison> wrote in message
    >>> Probably the fan in the PS.
    >>> These can be serviced and or replaced by skilled technicians.
    >>> You may want to just buy a new one.

    >>of

    >>this

    >>couple

    >>it

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 12, 2004
  12. Sab

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:55:34 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    <-vine.co.uk.invalid> scribbled:

    >Sab said:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I did clean the fan this morning, before "whacking" the power supply.

    >OK, how did you clean it?
    >Did you take the fan out, or did you just blow on it?

    You're really not advocating that the average user should
    crack opena power supply to clean a fan, are you?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 12, 2004
  13. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    I just opened the power supply, took the fan out and cleaned it (not just
    blew on it). After than, I switched my pc on and the noise is still here!

    Sab, Jan 12, 2004
  14. Sab

    Sab Guest

    Hi
    What's the difference between AT and ATX?

    Sab, Jan 12, 2004
  15. Sab

    ICee Guest

    Sab wrote:
    > Hi
    > What's the difference between AT and ATX?

    Your motherboard uses an ATX power supply. AT is an older style of
    power supply and uses a different plug for the motherboard voltages.

    > "-= Hawk =-" <> wrote in message

    >>> 300 watt or higher. ATX.

    >> Didn't he say it was an AT board?

    >> --
    >> 'What Profiteth It A Kingdom If The Oxen Be Deflated?'
    >> Riddles II, v3
    >> - T. Pratchett

    Douglas Adams
    ICee, Jan 12, 2004
  16. Sab wrote:
    > Hi
    > This morning, I switched my pc on and I noticed a loud noise coming out of
    > the power supply. I already had that about a month ago so I cleaned my pc
    > and it went away. But today I cleaned it again and it was still making this
    > noise. I had to open the case and hit the top of the power supply a couple
    > of times to make it stop! I think I have to replace the power supply but I
    > don't know what kind I can install.
    > I have a Deer DR-250C (250W AT). Can I install a 300W (or more) and does it
    > have to be AT or can it be ATX? Could someone explain the differences and
    > give me some advice on which power supply I should buy? Thanks.
    >
    > Config:
    > Gigabyte GA-6VA motherboard
    > PIII 500Mhz
    > 256Mb SDRAM
    > 120Gb Western Digital Caviar hard drive
    > Creative 52x CDRom
    > LG 12x8x32x CDWriter
    > S3 Savage4 video card
    > SoundBlaster 128 sound card
    > DLink Eternet PCI
    > Win98se
    >
    > Sab.

    Actually the easiest way to find a compatible power supply is usually to
    just match up the plugs that go to the motherboard, to make sure you have
    a compatible power supply. And if you look around, you can probably get a
    new one for $20-25 max, whereas it's not a particularly good idea to do
    more than you've done in taking things apart when you don't know what
    you're doing. The power supply mounts with just a few screws, so it is
    fairly easy to replace. Take the old one out and bring it with you when
    you go shopping.

    One thing I want to caution -- be very careful if the system gets very
    quiet! A lot of people assume this means everything is now OK ... when
    actually it usually means the PS fan has stopped running, and the system
    can overheat and cause *serious* damage to other, much more expensive,
    components.

    -- DE
    Tergiversative, Jan 13, 2004