    or down when it came to installation. I appreciate any thoughts on this.
    I want to be sure it's installed properly. Thanks.

    , Feb 4, 2004

  2. Guest Guest

    that is not good.
    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was just starting to install components for new system, and as I was
    > putting the power supply into the case, I notice that the only way it
    > will fit, based on the alignment of the screw holes and also the cutout
    > for the switch and power cord plug, places one of the two fans on the
    > top of the power supply. Therefore, between the top fan and the inside
    > top of the case, there's only about a half inch clearance. Does this
    > sound right? If it matters, it's a 500 watt power supply. I could be
    > wrong, but I was under the impression that power supplies were all the
    > same as far as fit goes. I didn't see anything about left or right, up
    > or down when it came to installation. I appreciate any thoughts on this.
    > I want to be sure it's installed properly. Thanks.

    ---

    Guest, Feb 4, 2004

  3. ICee Guest

    wrote:
    > I was just starting to install components for new system, and as I was
    > putting the power supply into the case, I notice that the only way it
    > will fit, based on the alignment of the screw holes and also the
    > cutout for the switch and power cord plug, places one of the two fans
    > on the top of the power supply. Therefore, between the top fan and
    > the inside top of the case, there's only about a half inch clearance.
    > Does this sound right? If it matters, it's a 500 watt power supply. I
    > could be wrong, but I was under the impression that power supplies
    > were all the same as far as fit goes. I didn't see anything about
    > left or right, up or down when it came to installation. I appreciate
    > any thoughts on this. I want to be sure it's installed properly.
    > Thanks.

    If the power supply has a secondary fan, it goes on the bottom, to
    "pull" in hot air and then exhaust it with the fan on the back of the
    PSU. Usually, there is a large cutout on the case, and a plate that the
    PSU is mounted to, and the plate is mounted to the case.

    ICee, Feb 4, 2004
  4. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I was just starting to install components for new system, and as I was
    > putting the power supply into the case, I notice that the only way it
    > will fit, based on the alignment of the screw holes and also the cutout
    > for the switch and power cord plug, places one of the two fans on the
    > top of the power supply. Therefore, between the top fan and the inside
    > top of the case, there's only about a half inch clearance. Does this
    > sound right? If it matters, it's a 500 watt power supply. I could be
    > wrong, but I was under the impression that power supplies were all the
    > same as far as fit goes. I didn't see anything about left or right, up
    > or down when it came to installation. I appreciate any thoughts on this.
    > I want to be sure it's installed properly. Thanks.

    That's not good at all...
    you need to either get a different supply
    or modify your case.

    philo, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Guest

    Right, there is a large cut out in the back of the case. But it's not a
    plate that can be reversed. It's just part of the case. And the way the
    psu has to go in has the fan on the top. Aren't these things all
    standardized? The case is a Jupiter case from www.skyhawk.com, and was
    not a cheap case ($100 without the psu.) The power supply on the other
    hand, I got from eBay. But again, I thought they were all standard. I
    guess I could just go with a one fan power supply.

    > wrote:
    >> I was just starting to install components for new system, and as I was
    >> putting the power supply into the case, I notice that the only way it
    >> will fit, based on the alignment of the screw holes and also the
    >> cutout for the switch and power cord plug, places one of the two fans
    >> on the top of the power supply. Therefore, between the top fan and
    >> the inside top of the case, there's only about a half inch clearance.
    >> Does this sound right? If it matters, it's a 500 watt power supply. I
    >> could be wrong, but I was under the impression that power supplies
    >> were all the same as far as fit goes. I didn't see anything about
    >> left or right, up or down when it came to installation. I appreciate
    >> any thoughts on this. I want to be sure it's installed properly.
    >> Thanks.

    >If the power supply has a secondary fan, it goes on the bottom, to
    >"pull" in hot air and then exhaust it with the fan on the back of the
    >PSU. Usually, there is a large cutout on the case, and a plate that the
    >PSU is mounted to, and the plate is mounted to the case.

    , Feb 4, 2004
  6. Guest

    I see no way to modify the case.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I was just starting to install components for new system, and as I was
    >> putting the power supply into the case, I notice that the only way it
    >> will fit, based on the alignment of the screw holes and also the cutout
    >> for the switch and power cord plug, places one of the two fans on the
    >> top of the power supply. Therefore, between the top fan and the inside
    >> top of the case, there's only about a half inch clearance. Does this
    >> sound right? If it matters, it's a 500 watt power supply. I could be
    >> wrong, but I was under the impression that power supplies were all the
    >> same as far as fit goes. I didn't see anything about left or right, up
    >> or down when it came to installation. I appreciate any thoughts on this.
    >> I want to be sure it's installed properly. Thanks.

    >That's not good at all...
    >you need to either get a different supply
    >or modify your case.

    , Feb 4, 2004
  7. ICee Guest

    wrote:
    > Right, there is a large cut out in the back of the case. But it's not
    > a plate that can be reversed. It's just part of the case. And the way
    > the psu has to go in has the fan on the top. Aren't these things all
    > standardized? The case is a Jupiter case from www.skyhawk.com, and was
    > not a cheap case ($100 without the psu.) The power supply on the other
    > hand, I got from eBay. But again, I thought they were all standard. I
    > guess I could just go with a one fan power supply.

    Yes, power supplies and cases *are* standardized. It sounds like you
    have a non- standard case or power supply. The power supply should be
    an ATX 2.01 compliant unit and the case should be an ATX case.

    ICee, Feb 4, 2004
  8. boon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I see no way to modify the case.

    i see a new case

    boon, Feb 4, 2004
  9. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I see no way to modify the case.

    would the powersupply fit "upside-down"
    if you just drilled a few new holes...

    otherwise ypu will need a new case (or exchange the ps)

    philo, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:08:28 -0500, wrote:

    >I see no way to modify the case.

    Use your imagination... :)

    http://members.aol.com/spoons1000/break/

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004
  11. ICee Guest

    ICee, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:53:37 -0500, "ICee" <> wrote:

    >This is the proper way to take care of a disk drive:
    >
    >http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/ :)

    It looked so good until you get to the "Tools Required" page... :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 4, 2004