    and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.

    Thanks
    John

    fitzybhoy, Oct 7, 2004

  2. "fitzybhoy" <> wrote in message
    news:_T09d.1107$...
    > First off sorry for the xpost

    Wuh?

    Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D., Oct 7, 2004

  3. Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D. wrote:
    > "fitzybhoy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>First off sorry for the xpost

    > Wuh?

    My good doctor, he meant his demeanor is a bit cross.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 7, 2004
  4. fitzybhoy wrote:
    > First off sorry for the xpost
    >
    > Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than normal
    > running noises etc...
    >
    > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
    > supplies.
    >
    > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
    > will blow the motherboard.
    >
    > Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
    > computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
    > another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
    > and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.
    >
    > Thanks
    > John

    Because it has more wattage available doesn't mean it's going to be
    pumping that much juice into the motherboard all the time. With 4 hard
    drives, 2 DVD devices, you'll probably not cause a 450 to "sweat". Just
    a quick tally of likely power consumption of normal components came in
    around 310 watts. This may vary quite a bit, but probably not by 140
    watts. And you'll be unlikely to ever get all the different drives to be
    using much power at the same time.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 7, 2004
  5. fitzybhoy

    Smoker Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > fitzybhoy wrote:
    > > First off sorry for the xpost
    > >
    > > Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than

    normal
    > > running noises etc...
    > >
    > > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
    > > supplies.
    > >
    > > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the

    above
    > > will blow the motherboard.
    > >
    > > Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
    > > computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
    > > another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices

    connected
    > > and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking

    sweat.

    > > Thanks
    > > John

    > Because it has more wattage available doesn't mean it's going to be
    > pumping that much juice into the motherboard all the time. With 4 hard
    > drives, 2 DVD devices, you'll probably not cause a 450 to "sweat". Just
    > a quick tally of likely power consumption of normal components came in
    > around 310 watts. This may vary quite a bit, but probably not by 140
    > watts. And you'll be unlikely to ever get all the different drives to be
    > using much power at the same time.

    ---
    All hardware requires maximum power on a cold boot.

    Smoker, Oct 7, 2004
  6. fitzybhoy

    Smoker Guest

    "fitzybhoy" <> wrote in message
    > First off sorry for the xpost
    >
    > Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than

    normal
    > running noises etc...
    >
    > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
    > supplies.
    >
    > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
    > will blow the motherboard.
    >
    > Also if not, then what is the best one to get, there are 4 devices in my
    > computer, 2 hd's and a DVDRW and a DVDROM. I may in the future go for
    > another HD controller card, so there may be as many as 6 devices connected
    > and would like to know which PSU will handle all 6 without breaking sweat.

    You don't care about the quality or brand name? You can't just buy a PSU
    based on how many watts the mfr. boasts it is. An Antec 300W is much, much
    better than a 500W PowMax, for instance. The Antec 300W unit costs more. Why
    do you think that is? Antec and Enermax are well known for their quality,
    warranties, and customer service. Would you compare an 8 cylinder Dodge with
    a Cadillac and figure they're both the same because they each have 8
    cylinders?

    There's a label on the side of your power supply. When you know what those
    mean and how they relate to the hardware you have and might acquire in the
    future, then you can confidently buy a power supply. If you buy either an
    Antec or Enermax that's over 400W then you don't have to be concerned about
    details and they should carry you well into the future.

    There's no such thing as too much power.

    Smoker, Oct 7, 2004
  7. fitzybhoy wrote:
    > First off sorry for the xpost

    > Secondly, my PSU is on it's way out, causing hd crashes, louder than normal
    > running noises etc...

    > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
    > supplies.

    > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
    > will blow the motherboard.

    No. That rating is about what's *available* from the PSU. You're not
    rating death rays, here. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 7, 2004

    OP: look at some PSU surveys at places like http://tomshardware.com and
    http://anandtech.com.

    > warranties, and customer service. Would you compare an 8 cylinder Dodge with
    > a Cadillac and figure they're both the same because they each have 8
    > cylinders?

    I'd go with the Dodge. Cadillacs are still your grandfather's car. The little
    old lady from Pasadena drove a (brand-new shiny red superstock) Dodge. :)

    > There's a label on the side of your power supply. When you know what those
    > mean and how they relate to the hardware you have and might acquire in the
    > future, then you can confidently buy a power supply. If you buy either an
    > Antec or Enermax that's over 400W then you don't have to be concerned about
    > details and they should carry you well into the future.

    Best bang for the buck I've seen in that range (and what I have,
    therefore) has been the 480W Antec TruPower.

    > There's no such thing as too much power.

    Arrrrrr!

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 7, 2004
  9. fitzybhoy

    fitzybhoy Guest

    "Monsignor Larville Jones, M.D." <> wrote in
    message news:ck285f$fpr$...

    > "fitzybhoy" <> wrote in message
    > > First off sorry for the xpost

    > Wuh?

    I forgot to actually add the other group

    fitzybhoy, Oct 7, 2004
  10. fitzybhoy

    Larry Crites Guest

    The Dodge is better.

    --

    Larry
    Unlock the Universe

    Larry Crites, Oct 7, 2004
  11. fitzybhoy

    Plato Guest

    Smoker wrote:

    > There's no such thing as too much power.

    If you dont need it there is. ie compare this to ram. eg a senior who
    only needs a pc to check email and play solitaire with his 2 drive pc
    dont need a gig of ram :)

    Plato, Oct 8, 2004
  12. fitzybhoy

    Plato Guest

    fitzybhoy wrote:

    > My local computer shop sells 350,400,450,550 and 650 replacement power
    > supplies.
    >
    > I have an ABIT KT7A motherboard and would like to know if any of the above
    > will blow the motherboard.

    The watt rating is how much power can be drawn from the power supply if
    required. A higher watt ps wont blow your mobo. ie more devices - more
    watts needed

    Go for the 450.

    Plato, Oct 8, 2004
  13. fitzybhoy