Power supply fried, replaced it, computer won't start

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ., Aug 28, 2006.

  1. .

    . Guest

    Yesterday morning, ten hours after I'd last powered my PC down, I turned
    it on and noticed immediately a burning "electrical fire" smell.

    Turned the computer off (using Windows shutdown first from the login
    screen), disconnected all peripherals and the power, opened the case.
    Attached the power cord only, started it, everything worked (hard drives
    were cycling, CPU fan going, motherboard lights on, etc.), but I noticed
    the smell again. I did some sniffing and it was definitely coming from
    the power supply. Then the computer just stopped.

    I am not a "hardware guy" but I did some research on the web, consulted
    with the friend who helped me build the computer, and it seemed pretty
    open and shut. The 350 watt supply that came with the case ($35 for
    case and supply) was to blame.

    So went to CompUSA today and picked up
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283768 -
    seemed to be a worthy "bang for the buck" 400-watt supply.

    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362/ is the instructions I
    followed.

    Before disconnecting the old PSU, I carefully labelled every connection,
    showing what it was connected to, and the orientation on the drive or
    board. (The PSU had a 20-pin connection to the motherboard, the ATX12V
    comnnector, and my computer has two hard drives, a DVD drive, and a 3.5"
    floppy.)

    Plugged the computer in, turned on the PSU, and nothing. Ultimately, I
    tried a known good power cord and the new cord that came with the PSU, a
    known working outlet, several permutations, nothing. The voltage
    selector is correct (115 volts) on the back of the PSU. When I apply
    power, the CPU fan turns for about two seconds then stops (no harsh or
    unusual noises - it was turning fine yesterday). The green light on the
    motherboard stays lit. But no drive lights come on, and no sign of any
    activity.

    I don't have a multimeter. I'm not an electrician or electrical
    engineer. I just want some suggestions on what might be wrong and how
    to fix it. FWIW, the motherboard seems to show no abuse; the capacitors
    all look shiny and intact.

    My friend who built the PC for me is traveling, and I will ultimately
    bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    few useful "try this" suggestions.
    ., Aug 28, 2006

  2. .

    Rod Speed Guest

    .. <> wrote:

    > Yesterday morning, ten hours after I'd last powered my PC down, I
    > turned it on and noticed immediately a burning "electrical fire" smell.

    > Turned the computer off (using Windows shutdown first from the login
    > screen), disconnected all peripherals and the power, opened the case.
    > Attached the power cord only, started it, everything worked (hard
    > drives were cycling, CPU fan going, motherboard lights on, etc.), but
    > I noticed the smell again. I did some sniffing and it was definitely
    > coming from the power supply. Then the computer just stopped.

    > I am not a "hardware guy" but I did some research on the web,
    > consulted with the friend who helped me build the computer, and
    > it seemed pretty open and shut. The 350 watt supply that came
    > with the case ($35 for case and supply) was to blame.

    > So went to CompUSA today and picked up
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283768 -
    > seemed to be a worthy "bang for the buck" 400-watt supply.

    > http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362/ is the instructions I followed.

    > Before disconnecting the old PSU, I carefully labelled every
    > connection, showing what it was connected to, and the orientation on
    > the drive or board. (The PSU had a 20-pin connection to the
    > motherboard, the ATX12V comnnector, and my computer has two hard
    > drives, a DVD drive, and a 3.5" floppy.)

    > Plugged the computer in, turned on the PSU, and nothing. Ultimately,
    > I tried a known good power cord and the new cord that came with the
    > PSU, a known working outlet, several permutations, nothing. The
    > voltage selector is correct (115 volts) on the back of the PSU. When
    > I apply power, the CPU fan turns for about two seconds then stops

    That usually indicates that the motherboard has decided
    there is a major problem, so it shuts down very quickly.

    > (no harsh or unusual noises - it was turning fine yesterday).
    > The green light on the motherboard stays lit.

    That is just the +5VSB, standby voltage.

    > But no drive lights come on, and no sign of any activity.

    > I don't have a multimeter. I'm not an electrician or electrical
    > engineer. I just want some suggestions on what might be wrong

    Likely something got killed when the original power supply died.

    > and how to fix it.

    Unplug everything except the motherboard
    and see if the cpu fan comes on and stays on.

    If it does, plug the hard drive in and see if it will boot
    with just the motherboard and hard drive connected etc.

    > FWIW, the motherboard seems to show no abuse;
    > the capacitors all look shiny and intact.

    The tops should be flat.

    Rod Speed, Aug 28, 2006

  3. .

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/275.htm#4
    Plato, Aug 28, 2006
  4. .

    Dave C. Guest

    "." <> wrote in message
    > Yesterday morning, ten hours after I'd last powered my PC down, I turned
    > it on and noticed immediately a burning "electrical fire" smell.
    >
    > Turned the computer off (using Windows shutdown first from the login
    > screen), disconnected all peripherals and the power, opened the case.
    > Attached the power cord only, started it, everything worked (hard drives
    > were cycling, CPU fan going, motherboard lights on, etc.), but I noticed
    > the smell again. I did some sniffing and it was definitely coming from
    > the power supply. Then the computer just stopped.
    >
    > I am not a "hardware guy" but I did some research on the web, consulted
    > with the friend who helped me build the computer, and it seemed pretty
    > open and shut. The 350 watt supply that came with the case ($35 for
    > case and supply) was to blame.
    >
    > So went to CompUSA today and picked up
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283768 -
    > seemed to be a worthy "bang for the buck" 400-watt supply.
    >
    > http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362/ is the instructions I
    > followed.
    >
    > Before disconnecting the old PSU, I carefully labelled every connection,
    > showing what it was connected to, and the orientation on the drive or
    > board. (The PSU had a 20-pin connection to the motherboard, the ATX12V
    > comnnector, and my computer has two hard drives, a DVD drive, and a 3.5"
    > floppy.)
    >
    > Plugged the computer in, turned on the PSU, and nothing. Ultimately, I
    > tried a known good power cord and the new cord that came with the PSU, a
    > known working outlet, several permutations, nothing. The voltage
    > selector is correct (115 volts) on the back of the PSU. When I apply
    > power, the CPU fan turns for about two seconds then stops (no harsh or
    > unusual noises - it was turning fine yesterday). The green light on the
    > motherboard stays lit. But no drive lights come on, and no sign of any
    > activity.
    >
    > I don't have a multimeter. I'm not an electrician or electrical
    > engineer. I just want some suggestions on what might be wrong and how
    > to fix it. FWIW, the motherboard seems to show no abuse; the capacitors
    > all look shiny and intact.
    >
    > My friend who built the PC for me is traveling, and I will ultimately
    > bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    > this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    > few useful "try this" suggestions.

    Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:

    1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw), often shortly after leaving
    the factory
    2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other components
    with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power supplies kill
    motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.

    Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that the
    first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it. The second
    one can't even power itself, apparently.

    It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often spending an
    extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can save a complete rebuild,
    costing hundreds of bucks. -Dave
    Dave C., Aug 28, 2006
  5. .

    Lookout Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:30:02 GMT, "." <> wrote:

    >Yesterday morning, ten hours after I'd last powered my PC down, I turned
    >it on and noticed immediately a burning "electrical fire" smell.
    >
    >Turned the computer off (using Windows shutdown first from the login
    >screen), disconnected all peripherals and the power, opened the case.
    >Attached the power cord only, started it, everything worked (hard drives
    >were cycling, CPU fan going, motherboard lights on, etc.), but I noticed
    >the smell again. I did some sniffing and it was definitely coming from
    >the power supply. Then the computer just stopped.
    >
    >I am not a "hardware guy" but I did some research on the web, consulted
    >with the friend who helped me build the computer, and it seemed pretty
    >open and shut. The 350 watt supply that came with the case ($35 for
    >case and supply) was to blame.
    >
    >So went to CompUSA today and picked up
    >http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283768 -
    >seemed to be a worthy "bang for the buck" 400-watt supply.
    >
    >http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362/ is the instructions I
    >followed.
    >
    >Before disconnecting the old PSU, I carefully labelled every connection,
    >showing what it was connected to, and the orientation on the drive or
    >board. (The PSU had a 20-pin connection to the motherboard, the ATX12V
    >comnnector, and my computer has two hard drives, a DVD drive, and a 3.5"
    >floppy.)
    >
    >Plugged the computer in, turned on the PSU, and nothing. Ultimately, I
    >tried a known good power cord and the new cord that came with the PSU, a
    >known working outlet, several permutations, nothing. The voltage
    >selector is correct (115 volts) on the back of the PSU. When I apply
    >power, the CPU fan turns for about two seconds then stops (no harsh or
    >unusual noises - it was turning fine yesterday). The green light on the
    >motherboard stays lit. But no drive lights come on, and no sign of any
    >activity.
    >
    >I don't have a multimeter. I'm not an electrician or electrical
    >engineer. I just want some suggestions on what might be wrong and how
    >to fix it. FWIW, the motherboard seems to show no abuse; the capacitors
    >all look shiny and intact.
    >
    >My friend who built the PC for me is traveling, and I will ultimately
    >bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    >this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    >few useful "try this" suggestions.

    If all you hook up to the power supply is the MOBO (no RAM or CPU) and
    you can't even get to post (a beep, no beeps at all) then your problem
    is probably (98%) a fried MOBO. Just hope it didn't go any further.
    Lookout, Aug 28, 2006
  6. .

    Guest

    "Dave C." <> wrote:

    >Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:
    >
    >1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw), often shortly after leaving
    >the factory
    >2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other components
    >with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power supplies kill
    >motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.
    >
    >Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that the
    >first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it. The second
    >one can't even power itself, apparently.
    >
    >It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often spending an
    >extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can save a complete rebuild,
    >costing hundreds of bucks. -Dave

    I knew better, I did, but I had a spare mother board; bought a case
    and Power supply duo for $50 - the sheet metal of the case was so thin
    just tightning the screws would strip it out.

    It lasted about three weeks, or the first power fluctuation - Lost the
    power supply and mother board.

    Just agreeing with you, One should not scrimp on the power supply, buy
    the best.

    --
    Board Dots
    http://www.boredmuch.com/view.php?id=764
  7. .

    Plato Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > If all you hook up to the power supply is the MOBO (no RAM or CPU) and
    > you can't even get to post (a beep, no beeps at all) then your problem
    > is probably (98%) a fried MOBO. Just hope it didn't go any further.

    There are generally two things that cause a major smell when they burn
    out:

    1. Monitor
    2. The Case Power Supply

    The case power supply can, tho rare, also take out other parts in a
    system when it goes bad or burns.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 28, 2006
  8. .

    . Guest

    In article <>,
    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    > Unplug everything except the motherboard
    > and see if the cpu fan comes on and stays on.
    >
    > If it does, plug the hard drive in and see if it will boot
    > with just the motherboard and hard drive connected etc.

    Thanks to you and all who responded.

    My original post asserted that I wasn't an engineer. True. But I
    solved the problem with your advice above, thinking systematically like
    an engineer. I disconnected the power supply and connected everything
    one by one, and the computer is now fully functional. From a little
    research I did, I think my issue was that I'd connected the 3.5" floppy
    power incorrectly or partially.

    I also appreciate everyone's point about not being cheap. In 15+ years
    of heavy computer use, i've never had a PSU go bad on me. But given all
    the heartache this burnout caused, I'll from now on spend the extra
    money for an Antec or other name brand supply. If I'd lost something
    really important and known that an extra $40-50 would have averted the
    disaster, I'd have been kicking myself.
    ., Aug 28, 2006
  9. .

    Rod Speed Guest

    .. <> wrote
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote

    >> Unplug everything except the motherboard
    >> and see if the cpu fan comes on and stays on.

    >> If it does, plug the hard drive in and see if it will boot
    >> with just the motherboard and hard drive connected etc.

    > Thanks to you and all who responded.

    > My original post asserted that I wasn't an engineer. True. But I
    > solved the problem with your advice above, thinking systematically
    > like an engineer. I disconnected the power supply and connected
    > everything one by one, and the computer is now fully functional.
    > From a little research I did, I think my issue was that I'd connected
    > the 3.5" floppy power incorrectly or partially.

    Yeah, it isnt hard to get that on wrong.

    > I also appreciate everyone's point about not being cheap. In 15+
    > years of heavy computer use, i've never had a PSU go bad on me.
    > But given all the heartache this burnout caused, I'll from now on spend
    > the extra money for an Antec or other name brand supply. If I'd lost
    > something really important and known that an extra $40-50 would have
    > averted the disaster, I'd have been kicking myself.

    You'd be a lot better off with full backups of everything that
    matters, any power supply can die. Hard drives in spades.
    Rod Speed, Aug 28, 2006
  10. .

    JAD Guest

    "." <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Rod Speed" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Unplug everything except the motherboard
    >> and see if the cpu fan comes on and stays on.
    >>
    >> If it does, plug the hard drive in and see if it will boot
    >> with just the motherboard and hard drive connected etc.

    > Thanks to you and all who responded.
    >
    > My original post asserted that I wasn't an engineer. True. But I
    > solved the problem with your advice above, thinking systematically like
    > an engineer. I disconnected the power supply and connected everything
    > one by one, and the computer is now fully functional. From a little
    > research I did, I think my issue was that I'd connected the 3.5" floppy
    > power incorrectly or partially.

    AHHH the Ole floppy power connector woes...damn stupid
    connector.......................

    AFA PSUs go have a 6 year old codegen (touted the worst) still going
    strong and a Antec that died in 3 months.
    IOW its a crap shoot...

    JAD, Aug 28, 2006
  11. .

    ProfGene Guest

    .. wrote:
    > Yesterday morning, ten hours after I'd last powered my PC down, I turned
    > it on and noticed immediately a burning "electrical fire" smell.
    >
    > Turned the computer off (using Windows shutdown first from the login
    > screen), disconnected all peripherals and the power, opened the case.
    > Attached the power cord only, started it, everything worked (hard drives
    > were cycling, CPU fan going, motherboard lights on, etc.), but I noticed
    > the smell again. I did some sniffing and it was definitely coming from
    > the power supply. Then the computer just stopped.
    >
    > I am not a "hardware guy" but I did some research on the web, consulted
    > with the friend who helped me build the computer, and it seemed pretty
    > open and shut. The 350 watt supply that came with the case ($35 for
    > case and supply) was to blame.
    >
    > So went to CompUSA today and picked up
    > http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283768 -
    > seemed to be a worthy "bang for the buck" 400-watt supply.
    >
    > http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/362/ is the instructions I
    > followed.
    >
    > Before disconnecting the old PSU, I carefully labelled every connection,
    > showing what it was connected to, and the orientation on the drive or
    > board. (The PSU had a 20-pin connection to the motherboard, the ATX12V
    > comnnector, and my computer has two hard drives, a DVD drive, and a 3.5"
    > floppy.)
    >
    > Plugged the computer in, turned on the PSU, and nothing. Ultimately, I
    > tried a known good power cord and the new cord that came with the PSU, a
    > known working outlet, several permutations, nothing. The voltage
    > selector is correct (115 volts) on the back of the PSU. When I apply
    > power, the CPU fan turns for about two seconds then stops (no harsh or
    > unusual noises - it was turning fine yesterday). The green light on the
    > motherboard stays lit. But no drive lights come on, and no sign of any
    > activity.
    >
    > I don't have a multimeter. I'm not an electrician or electrical
    > engineer. I just want some suggestions on what might be wrong and how
    > to fix it. FWIW, the motherboard seems to show no abuse; the capacitors
    > all look shiny and intact.
    >
    > My friend who built the PC for me is traveling, and I will ultimately
    > bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    > this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    > few useful "try this" suggestions.

    I have had a powers supply smoke because the cord went bad but all it
    did was fry the power supply and after that was replace all worked well
    but perhaps yours did damage to some of the other components, the mother
    board or the other cards. Check all your connections from the cast to
    the motherboard and from the drives to the mother board and from the
    powr to the motherboard and to the drives. Make sure the RAM is seated
    properly. There is no real guessing what happened It could have been a
    power cord gone bad or a power surge.
    ProfGene, Aug 28, 2006
  12. .

    ProfGene Guest

    ProfGene, Aug 28, 2006
  13. ProfGene wrote:

    > I have had a powers supply smoke because the cord went bad but all it
    > did was fry the power supply and after that was replace all worked well
    > but perhaps yours did damage to some of the other components, the mother
    > board or the other cards. Check all your connections from the cast to
    > the motherboard and from the drives to the mother board and from the
    > powr to the motherboard and to the drives. Make sure the RAM is seated
    > properly. There is no real guessing what happened It could have been a
    > power cord gone bad or a power surge

    Isn't it more likely that (in your case, not the OP's) the PSU borked
    and drew too much power for a split second, frying the AC cord -- than
    the other way around?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 28, 2006
  14. .

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Blinky the Shark spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself

    http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=teslacoilsparks5fu4.jpg

    --
    Mhzjunkie

    1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END
    Mhzjunkie, Aug 28, 2006
  15. .

    Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
> [...]
    > > bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    > > this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    > > few useful "try this" suggestions.

    > Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:
    >
    > 1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw), often shortly after leaving
    > the factory
    > 2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other components
    > with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power supplies kill
    > motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.
    >
    > Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that the
    > first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it. The second
    > one can't even power itself, apparently.
    >
    > It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often spending an
    > extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can save a complete rebuild,

    I would have to agree with Dave, After having a computer built for me
    the power supply died on me about 1 year later. The burning smell and
    everything that goes with it including entire computer shutting down .
    After going to Store and buyng a new 400 Watt power supply, I asked how
    a new power supply could fail in only 1 year. He replied it was
    probably a cheap one if it was built in a retail store as some try to
    cut corners and save money. I installed the new 60.00 power supply and
    everthing worked fine...I was just lucky the MB or no other components
    were fried.
    , Aug 28, 2006
  16. .

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:30:02 +0000, . Has Frothed:

    > My friend who built the PC for me is traveling, and I will ultimately
    > bring the computer to him and his extensive testbench if I can't figure
    > this out myself. But I'm really at my wit's end now and am hoping for a
    > few useful "try this" suggestions.

    Take everyone off the main board except video card if an add on and power
    it up. If not then the mobo may be phucked.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2006

  17. > Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:

    > 1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw), often shortly after leaving
    > the factory
    > 2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other components
    > with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power supplies kill
    > motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.
    >
    > Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that the
    > first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it. The second
    > one can't even power itself, apparently.
    >
    > It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often spending an
    > extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can save a complete rebuild,
    > costing hundreds of bucks. -Dave

    Actually, I'm sure the power supply he bought from the store is
    perfectly fine. Don't forget about "power good"! If the power supply
    doesn't see this, it will not stay on. That is how all ATX power
    supplies are designed, and it is indeed built-in component protection.
    If anything is shorting out (as could very well be the case here, since
    his first power supply fried something), it will shut down a working
    power supply.
    David Matthew Wood, Aug 28, 2006
  18. .

    Larry Crites Guest

    Also, people should pay attention and when smelling something burning, grab
    the power cord and unplug it. In the OP, the poster said that he used the
    Windows shutdown, etc. PULL THE PLUG!

    Larry
    Behold Beware believe

    Larry Crites, Aug 28, 2006
  19. .

    Guest

    David Matthew Wood <> wrote:

    >> Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:
    >>
    >> 1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw), often shortly after leaving
    >> the factory
    >> 2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other components
    >> with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power supplies kill
    >> motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.
    >>
    >> Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that the
    >> first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it. The second
    >> one can't even power itself, apparently.
    >>
    >> It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often spending an
    >> extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can save a complete rebuild,
    >> costing hundreds of bucks. -Dave

    >Actually, I'm sure the power supply he bought from the store is
    >perfectly fine. Don't forget about "power good"! If the power supply
    >doesn't see this, it will not stay on. That is how all ATX power
    >supplies are designed, and it is indeed built-in component protection.
    >If anything is shorting out (as could very well be the case here, since
    >his first power supply fried something), it will shut down a working
    >power supply.

    Good link on the Power Good Signal
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/funcPowerGood-c.html
    and how "Some extremely el-cheapo power supplies may "fake" the Power
    Good signal by just tying it to another +5 V line."

    --
    Board Dots
    http://www.boredmuch.com/view.php?id=764
    , Aug 28, 2006
  20. .

    Rod Speed Guest

    David Matthew Wood <> wrote

    >> Poor quality power supplies have two very nasty habits:

    >> 1) They die early (that is GUARANTEED, btw),
    >> often shortly after leaving the factory
    >> 2) With no built-in component protection, they often take other
    >> components with them, when they die. In other words, cheap power
    >> supplies kill motherboards, hard drives, CPUs, RAM, etc.

    >> Your post is about TWO poor quality power supplies. I suspect that
    >> the first one died ungracefully, taking the motherboard out with it.
    >> The second one can't even power itself, apparently.

    >> It's your money, but people don't seem to understand that often
    >> spending an extra 40 bucks or so on a GOOD power supply can
    >> save a complete rebuild, costing hundreds of bucks. -Dave

    > Actually, I'm sure the power supply he bought from the
    > store is perfectly fine. Don't forget about "power good"!
    > If the power supply doesn't see this, it will not stay on.

    You've got that backwards, its PROVIDED by the
    power supply, not observed by the power supply.

    > That is how all ATX power supplies are designed,

    Nope.

    > and it is indeed built-in component protection. If anything is shorting
    > out (as could very well be the case here, since his first power supply
    > fried something), it will shut down a working power supply.

    Different issue entirely to the power good line.
    Rod Speed, Aug 28, 2006