    is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted every other
    option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and opinions anyone
    cares to offer.
    Thip, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Thip

    Sultan Guest

    Thip wrote in news:buu7ns$luluv$-berlin.de:

    > Sorry in advance for the lack of details, but all I can supply is what
    > he's given me. It's a 2-year-old Compaq running XP Home, with (he
    > thinks) 256 MB RAM, and it most likely has an Intel 815 Integrated
    > Graphics card. All hardware is original--nothing added or changed.
    > The machine is spontaneously rebooting at random. Compaq had him
    > reload the OS. I've had him run virus scans (one online, one
    > offline), download and run Ad-Aware (90 files found and deleted), and
    > then dismantle the PC to the best of his ability and clean the bejesus
    > out of the insides. It will run up to 7 hours; nothing seems to
    > trigger the reboots--they just happen whenever, and I honestly think
    > his PSU is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted
    > every other option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and
    > opinions anyone cares to offer.

    It could be any number of things. He might be best off to bring it in to
    a repair shop for a complete diagnostics, unless he has spare Ram, PS etc
    to swap out on his own.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Thip

    °Mike° Guest

    Check for overheating and bad RAM.

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:49:50 -0500, in
    <buu7ns$luluv$-berlin.de>
    Thip scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Thip

    gtg Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Check for overheating and bad RAM.

    yes, possibly mobo too
    gtg, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Thip

    Thip Guest

    "Thip" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry in advance for the lack of details, but all I can supply is what

    he's
    > given me. It's a 2-year-old Compaq running XP Home, with (he thinks) 256

    MB
    > RAM, and it most likely has an Intel 815 Integrated Graphics card. All
    > hardware is original--nothing added or changed. The machine is

    spontaneously
    > rebooting at random. Compaq had him reload the OS. I've had him run

    virus
    > scans (one online, one offline), download and run Ad-Aware (90 files found
    > and deleted), and then dismantle the PC to the best of his ability and

    clean
    > the bejesus out of the insides. It will run up to 7 hours; nothing seems

    > trigger the reboots--they just happen whenever, and I honestly think his

    PSU
    > is failing. I don't want to suggest that until I've exhausted every other
    > option. I would be very grateful for all suggestions and opinions anyone
    > cares to offer.

    Thanks, guys.
    Thip, Jan 24, 2004