    The only thing that the camera MUST have is the ability to use it as a
    meter. (for the 50 year old film camera I use)

    Zemmy!!

    Zemmy!!, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Zemmy!!

    Alan Guest

    "Zemmy!!" <> wrote in message
    news:vLPJe.68$...
    > I need a new digital and I've got it narrowed down to the Canon A95 or the
    > Nikon Coolpix 5600, or 5900.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > The only thing that the camera MUST have is the ability to use it as a
    > meter. (for the 50 year old film camera I use)
    >
    > Zemmy!!

    FWIW, I narrowed it down to the Coolpix 5600/5900/7600 or the A95. You need
    to go to a store and hold them. I went with the A95 because it felt better
    in my hand. I also liked that it was heavier, and uses standard batteries.

    Alan, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Zemmy!!

    ASAAR Guest

    ASAAR, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Zemmy!!

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Zemmy!!" <> wrote in message
    >I need a new digital and I've got it narrowed down to the Canon A95 or the
    >Nikon Coolpix 5600, or 5900.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > The only thing that the camera MUST have is the ability to use it as a
    > meter. (for the 50 year old film camera I use)

    I have the Nikon 5900 and the Canon A95, and both are great.

    However, if you "MUST have . . . the ability to use it as a meter" that
    pretty much eliminates the 5900, since it does not indicate aperture or
    shutter speed.

    If that's very, very important to you as it seems to be, you might want to
    look at the Pentax Optio 750Z also. That has an actual metering mode which
    turns the camera into a spot meter, reads out in 1/2 EV steps as well as
    shutter speeds and f-stops, and works very well. Also of course you can use
    the camera's regular metering arrangement just as you could with the A95.
    The 750Z is a terrific little camera in every other respect too, my favorite
    digital compact in fact. Costs a little more than either of the models
    you're asking about, but it's worth it.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Aug 16, 2005