    Am I not entitled to expect that a workstation advertised as being equipped
    with Windows XP has the power saving features active?

    Thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, May 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

    Graham Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > I bought recently a powerful, power hungry and not inexpensive workstation
    > equipped with Windows XP Professional.

    This is an x64 newsgroup? Is this an x64 problem?

    > To my surprise the power saving features (Standby and Hibernation), which I
    > frequently use, were not working.

    This can occur when you don't have the correct video drivers installed.
    Of course, if they aren't enabled, they won't work either.

    Graham.
    Graham, May 20, 2006

  3. I should add that the manufacturer told me that this behaviour is by design.

    So, I could rephrase my question: should an ad which specifies Microsoft
    Windows XP Professional as the OS, not specify also what features are
    excluded (if any), in this case the power saving features?

    Thank you,
    Dan
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, May 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

    Graham Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > I should add that the manufacturer told me that this behaviour is by design.

    Either there is something exceedingly unusual about this system, or they
    don't know what they are doing. Is this some fly-by-night operattion you
    bought this from, or one of the first or second tier brands?

    > So, I could rephrase my question: should an ad which specifies Microsoft
    > Windows XP Professional as the OS, not specify also what features are
    > excluded (if any), in this case the power saving features?

    Why should it? There are many features of an operating system which
    aren't available on particular machines. I've not seen many ads
    proclaiming the absence of SCSI for notebook computers for example, but
    the support for SCSI is still in the operating system despite the fact
    the notebook doesn't contain any SCSI hardware.

    Graham.
    Graham, May 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

    Patrick Guest

    The suspense is killing me!
    Who is the manufacturer of this fine machine?

    Patrick, May 21, 2006
  6. I would really very much appreciate if you could give me a valid example.
    Because I'm not sure this one, with SCSI, is that good: when the ad says
    that the hard drive is SATA or whatever one knows that it is not SCSI.
    Dan

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, May 22, 2006
  7. You made my day Patrick!

    In fact, your two lines became the cheer-up for any matter, not only for
    that
    never-rest-leaf-blower-Really-Powerful-PC-Workstation-by-a-popular-manufacturer-we use(d)-to-praise issue...

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, May 22, 2006