    Does that sound like the only problem or should I remove other
    components before I replace the power pack?
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 16, 2004

  2. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:42:50 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >Never happened to me before but I am hoping that is all that burned
    >out. I heard a loud snap then everything stopped. I could smell the
    >electric arc. It is an Antec 350 W. Model SL350 that came with the
    >tower I got from new egg not so long ago.
    >Does that sound like the only problem or should I remove other
    >components before I replace the power pack?
    >joevan

    I will have to wait till monday to call new egg as they are not
    available on weekends. In the meantime I guess I can remove the old
    power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
    components are protected from such happenings?
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    joevan wrote:

    > power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
    > components are protected from such happenings?

    I don't know...are you?

    If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 16, 2004
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
    >> components are protected from such happenings?

    >I don't know...are you?
    >
    >If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

    I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?
    Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
    cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now
    this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 16, 2004
  5. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >| wrote:

    >| >I don't know...are you?
    >| >If so, it's probably not a good assumption.
    >| >
    >| I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be
    >| damaged? Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and
    >| what would cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this
    >| year and now this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.
    >| joevan

    I had two identical systems at work blow a PS unit...both of them took out
    the motherboard. The CPU, memory, add-in cards, etc. were all okay. But the
    replacment mobo used different memory, so now I have spares <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    joevan wrote:

    > On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>joevan wrote:

    >>> power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
    >>> components are protected from such happenings?

    >>I don't know...are you?

    >>If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

    > I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?

    I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".

    > Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
    > cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now

    A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus old/old,
    which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the chances of the
    old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than the old mobo
    blowing out the old PS.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 17, 2004
  7. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| joevan wrote:

    >| > I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be
    >| > damaged?
    >|
    >| I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".
    >|
    >| > Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what
    >| > would cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year
    >| > and now
    >|
    >| A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    >| old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    >| are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus
    >| old/old, which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the
    >| chances of the old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than
    >| the old mobo blowing out the old PS.

    Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But then, I've
    lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.) dying. Just lucky, I
    guess ;)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>| I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".

    >>| A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    >>| old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    >>| are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus
    >>| old/old, which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the
    >>| chances of the old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than
    >>| the old mobo blowing out the old PS.

    > Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But then, I've
    > lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.) dying. Just lucky, I
    > guess ;)

    With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
    components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
    seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 17, 2004
  9. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|
    >| >>|

    >| > Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But
    >| > then, I've lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.)
    >| > dying. Just lucky, I guess ;)
    >|
    >| With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
    >| components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
    >| seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

    Me either. The last fuses I saw were on the keyboard input connection...I
    think it was designed for anti-static. But hey, that was back on 386 and 486
    motherboards - haven't seen it since!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  10. joevan

    Pennywise Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    On 17 Oct 2004 02:49:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    |>With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
    |>components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
    |>seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

    Not sure if it's to protect the power supply or MB, but there is a 5A
    fuse in the power supply. The old AT's were pretty much replaceable
    (plug in, pull out), newer one's have to be unsolder'd to test or
    replace.

    Pennywise, Oct 17, 2004
  11. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    On 17 Oct 2004 01:28:16 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I don't know...are you?

    >>>If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

    >> I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?

    >I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".
    >
    >> Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
    >> cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now

    >A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    >old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    >are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus old/old,
    >which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the chances of the
    >old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than the old mobo
    >blowing out the old PS.
    >
    >> this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.

    The computer I am talking about is one that has all new and compatible
    parts that I got through new egg in July. It has worked just great
    until this.
    I hope I will have Toolman Tim's luck with minimal damage.
    Thanks guys, for the feedback and I will report what I find next week.
    I'll call new egg tomorrow and try for some warranty parts. ?? Any
    body had luck there?
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 17, 2004
  12. joevan

    JJO Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    Never assume but it is possible that the other components are fine. My
    daughter-in-laws PS gave up the ghost but nothing else was affected. However
    you have no idea until you pop in another PS. Since all of the components
    are new I would hope that it is just a PS problem. If a component is going
    to fail on a new system you usually see it in the first few months, at least
    in my experience. A PS seems to have an "it can fail anytime" life
    expectancy.

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Oct 17, 2004
  13. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| Not sure if it's to protect the power supply or MB, but there is a 5A
    >| fuse in the power supply. The old AT's were pretty much replaceable
    >| (plug in, pull out), newer one's have to be unsolder'd to test or
    >| replace.

    The fuse in the power supply is to keep the house from burning down <g>!
    Honestly, I've never found a PS where the fuse went out and prevented
    damage. In other words, replacing the fuse didn't get the PS running again.
    The fuse invariably had blown *after* the PS fried.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  14. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| Never assume but it is possible that the other components are fine.
    >| My daughter-in-laws PS gave up the ghost but nothing else was
    >| affected. However you have no idea until you pop in another PS.
    >| Since all of the components are new I would hope that it is just a
    >| PS problem. If a component is going to fail on a new system you
    >| usually see it in the first few months, at least in my experience. A
    >| PS seems to have an "it can fail anytime" life expectancy.
    >|
    >| Regards,
    >| John O.

    I'd agree completely - I've seen them go on computers that were weeks
    out-of-the-box, or on computers that have been cranking away for 4or 5
    years. There were no symptoms...they just quit (some with smoke, some
    without <g>).

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  15. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| On 17 Oct 2004 01:28:16 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >| wrote:

    >| >I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".

    >| >A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    >| >old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    >| >are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus
    >| >old/old, which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the
    >| >chances of the old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than
    >| >the old mobo blowing out the old PS.

    >| The computer I am talking about is one that has all new and
    >| compatible parts that I got through new egg in July. It has worked
    >| just great until this.
    >| I hope I will have Toolman Tim's luck with minimal damage.
    >| Thanks guys, for the feedback and I will report what I find next
    >| week. I'll call new egg tomorrow and try for some warranty parts. ??
    >| Any body had luck there?
    >| joevan

    I've bought from New Egg, but never had to do any warranty replacments.
    Please let us know how it goes!

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  16. joevan

    Pennywise Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:21:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

> [...]
    |>>|
    |>>|

    |>The fuse in the power supply is to keep the house from burning down <g>!
    |>Honestly, I've never found a PS where the fuse went out and prevented
    |>damage. In other words, replacing the fuse didn't get the PS running again.
    |>The fuse invariably had blown *after* the PS fried.

    I know, I was just trying to be tactful, the fuse is to provide
    overload protection for the computer components.

    While replaceable; the only reason I used to even check the fuse was
    to see if the power transistors were salvageable.

    Pennywise, Oct 17, 2004
  17. joevan

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:40:15 -0400, "JJO" <> wrote:

    |> If a component is going
    |>to fail on a new system you usually see it in the first few months, at least
    |>in my experience. A PS seems to have an "it can fail anytime" life
    |>expectancy.

    If you graph the failure rate of electronic devices you see failures
    at the start of the graph, nothing in between, and a sharp increase at
    the end - It's even got a name: called the bathtub graph :)

    Meaning, if it's going to fail it's going to be quick or give a long
    life, and why an extended warranty is a waste of money.

    Pennywise, Oct 17, 2004
  18. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >||>>|
    >||>>|

    >| I know, I was just trying to be tactful, the fuse is to provide
    >| overload protection for the computer components.
    >|
    >| While replaceable; the only reason I used to even check the fuse was
    >| to see if the power transistors were salvageable.

    True. I gave up most real repairs though. Most units cost less to replac
    than my time to troubleshoot and repair would be. I will still work on good
    home audio equipment though ;)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  19. joevan

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said.

    >| If you graph the failure rate of electronic devices you see failures
    >| at the start of the graph, nothing in between, and a sharp increase
    >| at the end - It's even got a name: called the bathtub graph :)
    >|
    >| Meaning, if it's going to fail it's going to be quick or give a long
    >| life, and why an extended warranty is a waste of money.

    And well said! I just bought a refurbished PC with only a 90 day warranty.
    So I'll run it *hard* the first two or three months, and expect it will last
    a long time after that.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 17, 2004
  20. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Power pack blown? Power supply I should have said. Update.

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:17:50 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On 17 Oct 2004 01:28:16 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:

    >>> I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?

    >>I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".
    >>
    >>> Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
    >>> cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now

    >>A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
    >>old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
    >>are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus old/old,
    >>which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the chances of the
    >>old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than the old mobo
    >>blowing out the old PS.
    >>
    >>> this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.

    >The computer I am talking about is one that has all new and compatible
    >parts that I got through new egg in July. It has worked just great
    >until this.
    >I hope I will have Toolman Tim's luck with minimal damage.
    >Thanks guys, for the feedback and I will report what I find next week.
    >I'll call new egg tomorrow and try for some warranty parts. ?? Any
    >body had luck there?
    >joevan

    New Egg sent the power supply at no cost. All I had to do was to give
    the invoice number.
    All is well with the computer. I replaced the power supply today and
    everything seems to be in perfect condition.
    No files damaged or other problems detected so far.
    joevan

    joevan, Oct 21, 2004