    I want PoE to for some ip phones I'll be connecting to the switch. I
    think I read somewhere the 2600 routers won't power the phones, is this
    true?
    tg, Nov 23, 2008

  2. tg

    Thrill5 Guest

    PoE is not supported on the 2600. On the 2800 series an upgraded power
    supply that supports PoE is required.

    Thrill5, Nov 23, 2008

  3. "tg" <> writes:
    >Cisco 2651XM router
    >fitted with ...
    >NM-16ESW 16 port switch

    >I was going to buy a PoE daughtercard (PPWR-DCARD-16ESW?) and fit it to
    >the NM-16ESW switch but I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my money.
    >I want PoE to for some ip phones I'll be connecting to the switch. I
    >think I read somewhere the 2600 routers won't power the phones, is this
    >true?

    You can power the daughtercard seperately and have it work in the
    2600, but you'll need the external power supply chassis and at least
    one power supply to do so.

    You can do away the external power box on the 2800,3700,3800 iff these
    boxes have the appropriate inline-power supply add-on. The 3700 had it
    as only a factory installed option, but the 2800 & 3800 have a FRU version.
    (ie. its not a stock option, but you specificly had to add it).
    Then the extra power outputs of the IP version of the power supply
    cables over seperately the daughtercard.

    Without those IP power supplies, (ie. on the 2600 or 3600), you have
    to have a PPWR-PS-CHASSIS and at least one PPWR-PS-360W to go in
    it. Then there is a custom power cable (CAB-PPWR-PS1-1) feeding out of
    that that goes direct into the NM switch card.

    If you didn't want to spend quite so much on the cisco solution, you
    could look at a midspan power injector. DSine makes boxes that handle
    Cisco pre-standard and af versions that work fine.

    These sit inbetween the switch and the stations. Ie you have one port
    in, one port out times # of ports the box has. 16 and 24 are popular.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 24, 2008
  4. tg

    tg Guest

    "Thrill5" <> wrote in message
    > PoE is not supported on the 2600. On the 2800 series an upgraded
    > power supply that supports PoE is required.

    ok thanks for that advice thrill
    tg, Nov 25, 2008
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > "tg" <> writes:

    thanks for your response Doug. Based on what you said I think the best
    solution for now is some singlePoE usints and I managed to get several
    really cheap off ebay.
    tg, Nov 25, 2008