    routers are cisco 2621 and 2505

    Thanks
    , Jun 14, 2005

  2. Matt Guest

    Well first of all I'd find a new hosting facility... one that can
    provide redundant power.. and doesn't shut down their systems for a day!
    Hope you aren't paying them too much.

    Matt, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Matt Guest

    > How do other people get round this type of problem? If we change dns
    > then it is about 500 urls I dont want to change if I can avoid it. All
    > routers are cisco 2621 and 2505

    Sorry forgot to answer this question in my previous post.
    People get around this by A) choosing hosting providers that have
    redundant power and a/c feeds into their data centers, and by choosing
    hosting providers who care enough to have a generator! There is no
    excuse for not having power to a data center. We just went through a
    power outage here where I work and had no issues, as we have a
    generator. PPL turned their power off to do work.. lights went out..
    server room hummed along and looked kinda pretty...
    B) if you are the hosting provider, then providing a power backup
    generator if things are really that important.. or worst case.. get a
    little generator and run a tiny little apache machine with a maintance
    page.. run your core router and maybe a switch and that machine.
    Matt, Jun 14, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have a situation where a remote network of ours at a hosting
    > facility will be down for one day as all the hosts will not have
    > power(over 2 floors) I want to redirect all traffic ultimately to one
    > server here running a maintainence page so that any web traffic will
    > have maintainence page. Our ISP's router will not be down during the
    > day as it is in another floor. Question is as follows
    >
    > 1) Can i ask the isp to add a static route on their router to redirect
    > all the traffic to my router here?
    > 2) As the destination address would not physically exists on our
    > network - I guess I would have to perform some sort of nat to fool it
    > that it is so could I
    > - perform some nat on my router so that all destination ips would get
    > translated to one ip(of the webserver running the maintainence page),
    > then I guess I would have to make sure traffic is returned to the isp's
    > router by putting in a policy based route so the router would route all
    > traffic back to the isp's router based on the source address of the
    > webserver(that was just natted), instead of its default one.

    A static route won't do it, because TCP/IP is routed hop-by-hop. So
    *every* router along the path would have to have static routes.

    A better solution might be to create an IP-in-IP tunnel from the hosting
    ISP to your router, and configure a static route that points to this
    tunnel.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Jun 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    Thankyou, I do understand now, that there would be difficulties as
    every router in between would need a static route for it to work. I am
    interested to learn about IP-in-IP tunnel, where can I learn more about
    it? - does it have another common name?
    , Jun 15, 2005
  6. Hansang Bae Guest

    wrote:

    > Thankyou, I do understand now, that there would be difficulties as
    > every router in between would need a static route for it to work. I am
    > interested to learn about IP-in-IP tunnel, where can I learn more
    > about it? - does it have another common name?

    If you tell your provider you would like to use a GRE tunnel, they will
    know what you mean.

    Changing the DNS entry is also a hit-n-miss because you can't control
    the propagation across the world.

    Another possibility would be to ask your provider to NAT it for you.
    Have them NAT the existin address to your new address for the day.

    I'd seriously consider a new hosting facility.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Guest

    Ok I will ask about GRE. Regarding the comment with DNS, I have noticed
    that doing this way is never reliable either as you said but Im not
    quite sure why, is it because of the way some big ISP dns servers
    refresh their cache or something?
    Our ttl on the domain is 4 hours, so if I changed it to 10 minutes, I
    would have thought after 4 hours the world will see
    the new ttl, then it should mean that all the domain entries have a
    life of 10 minutes, then they are refreshed from the authoritative
    server. So if I set a url to one ip, then set it to anther, updated the
    dns, the change should be seen around the world after 10 mins.
    >From past experience this does not work for everyone and some of our

    customers have to wait a few hours, or restart their dns server.
    , Jun 16, 2005