    leveled Guest

    Despite setting power options as instructed in XP my computer does not
    "turn off monitor" or "turn off hard disks" any ideas please Ed

    leveled, Jan 21, 2006

  2. leveled

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:38:10 -0000, "leveled" <> wrote:

    >Despite setting power options as instructed in XP my computer does not
    >"turn off monitor" or "turn off hard disks" any ideas please Ed

    I'm guessing you are talking about Control Panel?

    Your monitor may not turn off but go into a standby mode. Depends on
    your monitor.

    How do you know your hard drives aren't being turned off?
    Is it possible you have an application that is accessing your drive
    every <x> minutes?

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2006

  3. leveled

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Evan Platt spewed forth:
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:38:10 -0000, "leveled" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Despite setting power options as instructed in XP my computer does
    >> not "turn off monitor" or "turn off hard disks" any ideas please Ed

    > I'm guessing you are talking about Control Panel?
    >
    > Your monitor may not turn off but go into a standby mode. Depends on
    > your monitor.
    >
    > How do you know your hard drives aren't being turned off?
    > Is it possible you have an application that is accessing your drive
    > every <x> minutes?

    for instance antivirus background scans (some run intentionally during
    screen savers) or screen savers that access disk files (photo slideshow
    types) - many possibilities exist

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006
  4. leveled

    Budweiser Guest

    "leveled" <> wrote in message
    > Despite setting power options as instructed in XP my computer does not
    > "turn off monitor" or "turn off hard disks" any ideas please Ed

    Did you click apply after setting your option?
    At the end of the day --its really not worth the effort,your hard drive
    basically goes into park if it is not being used as default,your monitor
    will hit the screen saver etc.
    There is still a mantra out there that suggests not turning things
    off --shut down---electronics for home use have moved on.If something is
    running its going to wear out,not before you have finished with it tho!!
    If you are not using it,or nobody needs to access it(server,p2p,etc)
    turn the damn thing off and save some of the blue smoke till later.You
    do know that once you release the blue smoke ,nothing electrical will
    work.
    Just leave the options as they are ,it will not kill your machine,well
    not before its fail by date or your interference anyway.

    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006
  5. leveled

    leveled Guest

    I have set hard drives and monitor to turn off and both still run ? Screen
    saver on ,two blue lights in actual computer?

    leveled, Jan 21, 2006
  6. leveled

    leveled Guest

    How can tell ??

    leveled, Jan 21, 2006
  7. leveled

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Jan 21, 2006
  8. leveled

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:59:45 -0000, "leveled" <> wrote:

    >How can tell ??

    How can tell what?

    Who are you talking to and what did they say?

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2006
  9. leveled

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:58:24 -0000, "leveled" <> wrote:

    >I have set hard drives and monitor to turn off and both still run ? Screen
    >saver on ,two blue lights in actual computer?

    What are the two blue lights?

    And reread my answer to your first post about hard drive activity.

    Evan Platt, Jan 21, 2006
  10. leveled

    leveled Guest

    Thank you I am an amateur and would like this to work

    leveled, Jan 21, 2006