    This is an Athlon64 4800 sitting on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard, running XP
    64-bit. I have 3 LCD panels hooked up to it, so it would be nice if they
    shut off as they should... Thoughts, suggestions?

    Homer J. Simpson, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Homer J. Simpson

    John Barnes Guest

    I have a program which doesn't show anything on the screen, but records
    streams in the background, that causes the same condition.

    John Barnes, Jul 14, 2006

  3. Yes, I agree, it is the strangest things, apparently, that registers as an
    'activity' to the ACPI(?) subsystem. I do run a screensaver and even after
    activating it manually before leaving, the desktop may well be sitting there
    in full splendour when I return. Not frequently - also, not rare!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 15, 2006
  4. I have never figured out why my wife's Compaq Presarion 4025US sometimes
    will keept the screen awake for hours and sometimes goes to sleep as
    expected.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Homer J. Simpson

    John Barnes Guest

    I have resorted to turning off the monitor when I will be gone for hours and
    the background recording program is scheduled to activate.

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Well, here at this end I've nailed it down to one game - can only run in
    full screen mode, if I leave the machine with the game active, the saver
    never kicks in. If I [Alt + Tab] this game to minimize, Display properties
    shows the screensaver to be disabled - closing the game again enables the
    screensaver. I enjoy i-net radio and have a custom desktop player that I am
    beginning to suspect. It seems to be a bit 'buggy', it is probably a sort of
    flash thing or something.

    These are not solely responsible, there are other things as well, some may
    even be standard Windows stuff, probably network related.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Yea - me too! If I remember not to trust the spine.

    Tony Sperling, Jul 16, 2006
  8. I always turn off the monitor when I'm sure that I'll be far from the PC for
    a couple of hours.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Hello,
    A couple of things to look at.
    1) look in the event logs. Sometimes we log the reason why we do not go
    into hibernation or stand-by. If you see any such event report them back.
    This can be an application, a driver or a filter driver for example. The
    event only shows the topmost reason, so you may have to drill down some.
    2) When it happens, open a CMD prompt and run powercfg /a >power.txt.
    Open power.txt in notepad see what options are listed for not
    enabling\disabling hibernation or stand-by ( This is only Windows Server
    2003 and x64 edtions of Windows. This option is not on 32-bit versions of
    Windows XP)
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Homer J. Simpson" <root@127.0.0.1>