    main difference between the two versions that Cisco has.

    TIA
    Bhawkins
    bhawkins, Jun 11, 2009

  2. bhawkins <> writes:
    >I was wondering before I fry one of my Cisco IP phones if I can use an
    >AIR-PWRINJ3 instead of the IP Phone version to power it, I have a
    >7971G-GE and a few AIR-PWRINJ3 injectors from a friend who was getting
    >rid of them at work. It currently runs on the power cube but would
    >prefer to wall mount it and not have a wire running up the wall.

    >And if I do use this injector will I loose gigabit and what is the
    >main difference between the two versions that Cisco has.

    The AIR-PWRINJ3 doesn't support gigabit. Just 10/100.

    You need the Cisco Unified IP Phone Power Injector (ie. CP-PWR-INJ) to
    support 802.3af over Gigabit ethernet support (or a gig switch doing PoE).

    They have more than 3 models of power injectors. The main diff
    is what devices they target for each, and how much power each can supply.
    (ie. some AP operating in certain modes need more power than others).
    Date of release is another factor. They essentially all operate the
    same otherwise.

    I believe the AIR-PWRINJ3 is designed for recent Access Points rather
    than the phones.

    It should power the phone fine though, but at 100Mbps. I have one
    powering an older model Cisco IP Phone.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 12, 2009