  1. In articles that say you should turn the modem's power off and on,
    they usually say you should totally unplug the power instead of just
    turning off the power with the power button. What's the diff?

    Richard Fangnail, Dec 30, 2010

  2. Note:I have written a number of times saying I will lose my DSL
    connection (I have Vista and DSL) and the blue globe will turn to a
    yellow triangle.
    This time around, I looked at the modem lights, and they were both on
    (LAN and link), like usual. Then I restarted the modem and I was okay.

    It only happens once every 3-4 weeks so I will take no action.

    Richard Fangnail, Dec 30, 2010

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > In articles that say you should turn the modem's power off and on,
    > they usually say you should totally unplug the power instead of just
    > turning off the power with the power button. What's the diff?

    That depends on the device and its 'power button'.

    Why don't you name the specific brandname and modelno of 'DSL modem'
    which you are asking about.

    Many do not even have a power button, so you disconnect the power supply
    to get a power on boot - a 'power cycle'.

    You may think that some 'imaginary' DSL modem might have a power button,
    but since you haven't identified one properly yet, it is just a
    hypothetical question which doesn't work for such very specific issues.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2010
  4. Richard Fangnail

    Tony Guest

    There's been some questions and confusion in a previous post in regards
    why you "hard boot" (or "power drains" as chuck likes to call it) your
    DSL
    modem. I'm compiling a website for these NG's to cut down on the utter
    bullshit that's been posted in here by some posters (*caugh* chuck). So

    lets clear out the bullshit and get back to business. This took me 30
    mins
    to compile and write. This is for those who wanted to know exactly why
    you
    turn your modem on and off, and why this works.

    Power cycling your modem or hard booting your modem, by completely
    unplugging it for about 30 - 40 seconds then turn it back on again, can
    fix
    some internet connection problems. Here is a more in-depth response to
    this
    issue as to why this is done.

    This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to
    Packet
    Loss; and this intern can cause your modem to loose sync with the
    connection. This is the most common problem that causes loss of sync
    with
    your connection and power cycling your modem is used to re-sync it.
    However
    this is a quick fix to this problem. In most cases this can be
    prevented by
    having the appropriate network tweaks and settings in place, which is
    something that the tech turnips at Sympatico should be informing us on.

    Supportive Research:

    http://www.dslreports.com/speed - Explains Packet Loss and other speed
    related issues, plus links to tweaks page. For those of you who notice
    decrease in speed during certain times of the day, might want to check
    out
    Enemy #3 on this page.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111644,pg,2,00.asp# -
    Excellent
    Article.

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ - Listed in PC World Article

    After you have ruled out all possibly for connection problems i.e..
    Routers,
    adware, viruses, browser cache etc..and if after you are still having
    Sync
    Problems with the tweaks you have done, visit section 5.3 : Sync
    Problems on
    the following site:

    http://www.docmirror.net/en/linux/howto/networking/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html

    --
    Steve

    Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > In articles that say you should turn the modem's power off and on,
    > they usually say you should totally unplug the power instead of just
    > turning off the power with the power button. What's the diff?

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Dec 30, 2010
  5. Richard Fangnail

    RickMerrill Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > In articles that say you should turn the modem's power off and on,
    > they usually say you should totally unplug the power instead of just
    > turning off the power with the power button. What's the diff?

    Many devices have keepalive that draws power even when nominally "power off".

    By pulling the plug out of the wall you guarantee a virgin startup.

    RickMerrill, Dec 31, 2010