    Carl

    http://www.gaihosa.com
    , Mar 26, 2008

  2. Bob Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering which computer configuration uses the least power, a
    > laptop, server, or desktop. Running full out and in idle.

    Some desktops use far more power than a server due to dual or even quad
    SLI and overclocking. A desktop based on the VIA C7 processor might draw
    50W under 100% CPU loading, exclusive of the monitor being used.

    The VIA based desktop could easily be configured as a home server. An
    enterprise grade server can contain 32 or more processors, which creates a
    great deal of heat. Such a unit could easily draw 1500-2000W under load.
    Bob, Mar 26, 2008

  3. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering which computer configuration uses the least power, a
    > laptop, server, or desktop. Running full out and in idle.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Carl

    Since the laptop runs on batteries, and typically uses a slower performing 2.5W
    disk drive, there is a good chance the laptop is the winner. The laptop
    has the ability to dim the screen, and has more attention to power
    saving in its design. On a desktop, with AC power to rely on at all
    times, they don't have to worry as much.

    Here is a portable computing device, that comes with a 22W power adapter.
    It would be pretty hard to beat that with a desktop or a server. Even
    the LCD monitor on my desktop, draws more power than that.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220295

    So in a "least power and I don't care about performance" kind of
    question, the laptop wins.

    *******
    This compares a laptop to a desktop. Processors selected for roughly the
    same benchmark results. Laptop 35W, desktop 65W.

    Merom T7700 2.4GHz FSB800 Sisoftware Sandra Arithmetic (Integer) = 22174
    Power draw is 35W TDP.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html?model1=1077&model2=1082&chart=512

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLADL

    Conroe E6600 2.4GHz FSB1066 Sisoftware Sandra Arithmetic (Integer) = 22207
    Power draw is 65W TDP.

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=877&model2=918&chart=410

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZL

    The fact that the number is TDP, makes the results meaningless, but
    at least you can see there is a significant difference, no matter what
    the exact numbers might be.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Guest

    Well, if there was a gold medal for an answer I would definitely give
    it to you. That thoroughly answered my question.

    Thanks,

    Carl

    http://www.gaihosa.com

    On Mar 26, 4:20 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I was wondering which computer configuration uses the least power, a
    > > laptop, server, or desktop. Running full out and in idle.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Carl

    > Since the laptop runs on batteries, and typically uses a slower performing 2.5W
    > disk drive, there is a good chance the laptop is the winner. The laptop
    > has the ability to dim the screen, and has more attention to power
    > saving in its design. On a desktop, with AC power to rely on at all
    > times, they don't have to worry as much.
    >
    > Here is a portable computing device, that comes with a 22W power adapter.
    > It would be pretty hard to beat that with a desktop or a server. Even
    > the LCD monitor on my desktop, draws more power than that.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220295
    >
    > So in a "least power and I don't care about performance" kind of
    > question, the laptop wins.
    >
    > *******
    > This compares a laptop to a desktop. Processors selected for roughly the
    > same benchmark results. Laptop 35W, desktop 65W.
    >
    > Merom T7700 2.4GHz FSB800 Sisoftware Sandra Arithmetic (Integer) = 22174
    > Power draw is 35W TDP.
    >
    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_mobile.html?model1=1077&model2=1082...
    >
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLADL
    >
    > Conroe E6600 2.4GHz FSB1066 Sisoftware Sandra Arithmetic (Integer) = 22207
    > Power draw is 65W TDP.
    >
    > http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=877&mode...
    >
    > http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9ZL
    >
    > The fact that the number is TDP, makes the results meaningless, but
    > at least you can see there is a significant difference, no matter what
    > the exact numbers might be.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul
    >
    > Paul
    , Mar 27, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Mar 27, 6:16 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Well, if there was a gold medal for an answer I would definitely give
    > it to you.  That thoroughly answered my question.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Carl

    just to add..

    things to google to find a plug that shows you how much power - Watts
    a device is using.

    plugin/plug in power meter
    plugin/plug in energy monitor

    as a general rule.. Laptops use less power because a)to preserve
    battery b)sometimes, they are designed to be quieter! (less heat so
    less fan noise - if has enough power / produces enough heat to have
    fans)
    So the fan noise can be an indicator.

    Servers/SERVERS(i.e. hardware wise) can be very loud.. They tend to be
    called server computers, because of the powerful hardware in them.
    Many big fast hard drives.. They tend to have a high wattage power
    supply, particularly because the components may need to use a high
    wattage.

    Desktops tend to be in the middle.
    But since laptop is technically a type of case. And SERVER is a like a
    desktop with extra powerful components, (sometimes with non standard
    components, like not ATX)

    You could have a desktop that uses less power than a laptop.

    A low power fanless desktop with a 2.5" (i.e. laptop style) hard drive
    attached could use more or less or equal power as a laptop fanless
    laptop. The difference in definition between desktop and laptop there
    may largely be the case (if the desktop has one).
    A desktop would most probably have a chunkier monitor though. A laptop
    would not. I don't know how many watts the monitors/displays use.

    Some years ago I wanted to get a little monitor - no more expensive
    than a regular one - that plugged into my USB port , but couldn't find
    one!!!! An alternative would be an ACDC adaptor with a little ATX plug
    (like the ones that are for the PicoPSU power supply). But also with
    another little plug connector to plug it into a little monitor. So the
    monitor has no additional chunky cable. With that, a desktop would
    be very much like a laptop. (except for perhaps the case!)
    , Mar 30, 2008