    I did a repair installation and applied all updates, including SP2.
    Ran multiple scans and found no viruses and just a couple of spyware/adware items.

    Other than the light show when shutting off, everything appears to be fine.
    Harrison, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    > XP Home
    > P4 1.7 / 128MB RAM
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone's seen this before.
    > I have one that's doing weird stuff when it's shutdown.
    > Windows will close and the screen goes blank as you'd normally expect.
    > However, after the system seems to have powered off, the power LED and HDD
    > blink in unison. At first, they blink rapidly, then the rate slows to a
    > few last blinks before they stop altogether. Then the system appears to
    > off as it should be.

    Maybe it (bios or power supply) is wanting to tell you about some
    malfunction. Have a look at the power supply and cpu fans.
    No mainboard buzzer/speaker connected?

    > I got the system because it was not booting.
    > It would go into a reboot loop when Windows started (Safe Mode and
    > Normal). I did a repair installation and applied all updates, including
    > SP2. Ran multiple scans and found no viruses and just a couple of
    > spyware/adware items.
    >
    > Other than the light show when shutting off, everything appears to be
    > fine.

    Is it getting somehow warm or hot under the hood?
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Harrison

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:26:36 +0200, Walter Mautner <> wrote:

    >Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >> XP Home
    >> P4 1.7 / 128MB RAM
    >>
    >> Just wondering if anyone's seen this before.
    >> I have one that's doing weird stuff when it's shutdown.
    >> Windows will close and the screen goes blank as you'd normally expect.
    >> However, after the system seems to have powered off, the power LED and HDD
    >> blink in unison. At first, they blink rapidly, then the rate slows to a
    >> few last blinks before they stop altogether. Then the system appears to
    >> off as it should be.
    >>

    >Maybe it (bios or power supply) is wanting to tell you about some
    >malfunction. Have a look at the power supply and cpu fans.
    >No mainboard buzzer/speaker connected?
    >
    >> I got the system because it was not booting.
    >> It would go into a reboot loop when Windows started (Safe Mode and
    >> Normal). I did a repair installation and applied all updates, including
    >> SP2. Ran multiple scans and found no viruses and just a couple of
    >> spyware/adware items.
    >>
    >> Other than the light show when shutting off, everything appears to be
    >> fine.

    >Is it getting somehow warm or hot under the hood?

    Temps are fine with all fans working.
    BIOS reset to defaults.
    I'm thinking it's something in the PSU. Maybe a switch not making all the way or something like that.
    Harrison, Sep 13, 2005