    Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

    Regards

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 23, 2007

  2. Alan

    Tim Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    > network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    > line (POTS?)
    >
    > Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one
    > supplier)

    For home?

    So you want the choice of whether the call goes down your normal phone
    line or through your VoIP provider?

    Siemens C460IP is the simplest device that does this, and give you a
    cordless phone in the process.

    http://www.provu.co.uk/siemens_c460IP.html

    Tim

    Tim, Apr 23, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    Alan <> wrote:
    >Morning
    >
    >Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    >network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    >line (POTS?)
    >
    >Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

    The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
    Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
    independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
    the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
    of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.

    Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
    CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
    I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 23, 2007
  4. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Alan <> wrote:
    >> Morning
    >>
    >> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    >> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    >> line (POTS?)
    >>
    >> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

    > The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
    > Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
    > independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
    > the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
    > of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
    >
    > Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
    > CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
    > I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks chaps

    Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that

    I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
    ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
    continue (at least in the short term to use BT)

    Does anyone have any experience of this baby?

    http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

    Cheers

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 23, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    Alan <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Alan <> wrote:
    >>> Morning
    >>>
    >>> Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    >>> network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    >>> line (POTS?)
    >>>
    >>> Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

    >> The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
    >> Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
    >> independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
    >> the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
    >> of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
    >>
    >> Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
    >> CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
    >> I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >Thanks chaps
    >
    >Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
    >
    >I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
    >ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
    >continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
    >
    >Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
    >
    >http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

    I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
    router functions are overkill for most needs.

    I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
    units) - drop me an email if interested.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 23, 2007
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    >> Thanks chaps
    >>
    >> Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
    >>
    >> I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
    >> ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
    >> continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
    >>
    >> http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

    > I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
    > router functions are overkill for most needs.
    >
    > I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
    > units) - drop me an email if interested.

    Have emailed you direct.

    Kind regards

    Alan

    Alan, Apr 23, 2007
  7. Alan

    Herman Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Alan <> wrote:
    >>Gordon Henderson wrote:

    >>> The generic name for what you want is an ATA - Analogue Telephone
    >>> Adapter. There are dozens of makes out there. If you buy one off an
    >>> independant reseller then it won't be tied to anything - you just have
    >>> the box which you can program (web interface) and enter in the details
    >>> of the SIP account which you can buy from many other resellers.
    >>>
    >>> Everyone has their favourite ATA - right now, mine is the Siemens
    >>> CP460IP which comes with a DECT phone and it relatively simple to setup.
    >>> I've deployed quite a few of these for my clients now.
    >>>
    >>> Gordon

    >>Thanks chaps
    >>
    >>Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
    >>
    >>I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
    >>ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
    >>continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
    >>
    >>http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

    > I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
    > router functions are overkill for most needs.
    >
    > I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
    > units) - drop me an email if interested.
    >
    > Gordon

    I had a Grandstream 486 which I did not rate especially not if you want
    majority of calls to go over PSTN. Fritzbox is my personal favourite
    although on the pricey side, so could be overkill for your requirements.

    Herman, Apr 23, 2007
  8. Alan

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:37:24 GMT, "Herman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> Alan <> wrote:

    >>>Thanks chaps
    >>>
    >>>Ah so its called an ATA - thanks for that
    >>>
    >>>I already have an up to date DECT phone and ideally am looking for an
    >>>ATA that defaults to POTS, but allows me to dial VOIP when I want ie I
    >>>continue (at least in the short term to use BT)
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any experience of this baby?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.grandstream.com/ht386.html

    >> I've deployed a few Grandstream 488's. They seem to work OK, but their
    >> router functions are overkill for most needs.
    >>
    >> I have a couple surplus to requirements (clients moved on to Siemens
    >> units) - drop me an email if interested.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >I had a Grandstream 486 which I did not rate especially not if you want
    >majority of calls to go over PSTN. Fritzbox is my personal favourite
    >although on the pricey side, so could be overkill for your requirements.

    As Linksys/Sipura has not been mentioned yet.....
    I think that the SPA-3102 is good because it is very configurable, has
    fall back to PSTN line, can auto route to up to 5 outgoing providers
    depending on number type as well as PSTN. I can only take calls on
    one incoming number though. If you want more incoming lines you'd need
    to look at using addtional ATAs, a trixbox or voxalot.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Apr 23, 2007
  9. Alan

    LVMarc Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Morning
    >
    > Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    > network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    > line (POTS?)
    >
    > Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one
    > supplier)
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Alan

    the best long term solution, in terms of connectivity, power consumption
    and surge protetion is rigth here::

    ""

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300104462713&rd=1&rd=1

    read the reviews and listing for product details

    Marco

    LVMarc, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Alan

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Morning
    >
    > Looking for a device to attach to my Internet connection (via switch)
    > network that will allow me to dial out via VOIP or by an ordinary BT
    > line (POTS?)
    >
    > Any names or suggestions appreciated (don't wish to be tied to one supplier)

    Fritzbox fon ATA.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Apr 24, 2007
  11. Alan

    mr deo Guest

    > the best long term solution, in terms of connectivity, power consumption
    > and surge protetion is rigth here::
    >
    > ""

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300104462713&rd=1&rd=1

    > read the reviews and listing for product details
    >
    > Marco

    The charter actually specifically forbids you trying to sell your own
    products in here. Not to say that it wasnt close to valid for his responce.

    so go away mr Marc H.Popek..

    mr deo, Apr 24, 2007
  12. Alan

    Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:01:03 GMT, "mr deo"
    <> wrote:

    >The charter actually specifically forbids you trying to sell your own
    >products in here. Not to say that it wasnt close to valid for his responce.
    >
    >so go away mr Marc H.Popek..

    Oh my God not another charter enthusiast now YOU go away also .

    , Apr 24, 2007
  13. Alan

    mr deo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:01:03 GMT, "mr deo"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >The charter actually specifically forbids you trying to sell your own
    > >products in here. Not to say that it wasnt close to valid for his

    responce.

    > >so go away mr Marc H.Popek..
    > >

    > Oh my God not another charter enthusiast now YOU go away also .

    newsgroup charters are in place for a reason..

    one reason is simple, so noobs dont get peddled a cheap box of plastic by
    some guy like the above Marc op.....

    It's a shame you young people dont actually respect rules.....

    mr deo, Apr 24, 2007
  14. Alan

    LVMarc Guest

    mr deo wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:01:03 GMT, "mr deo"
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>The charter actually specifically forbids you trying to sell your own
    >>>products in here. Not to say that it wasnt close to valid for his

    > responce.
    >
    >>>so go away mr Marc H.Popek..
    >>>

    >>Oh my God not another charter enthusiast now YOU go away also .

    > newsgroup charters are in place for a reason..
    >
    > one reason is simple, so noobs dont get peddled a cheap box of plastic by
    > some guy like the above Marc op.....
    >
    > It's a shame you young people dont actually respect rules.....

    mr deo,

    the poster specifically asked for a simple POTS voip adapter. one f the
    posters suggested a "frtizbox" a gaint switch that uses an entire PC
    for base support. I merely, suggested yet another product, that he is
    looking for.

    Marc

    sig has link to newly listed product

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=300104462713&rd=1&rd=1

    LVMarc, Apr 25, 2007
  15. Alan

    alexd Guest

    LVMarc wrote:

    > mr deo wrote:

    >> It's a shame you young people dont actually respect rules.....

    I can only presume you're using that cliche tongue in cheek.

    > the poster specifically asked for a simple POTS voip adapter. one f the
    > posters suggested a "frtizbox" a gaint switch that uses an entire PC
    > for base support.

    I think you may be confusing a Fritzbox [an ATA] with Trixbox [an
    Asterisk-based softswitch distribution].

    > I merely, suggested yet another product, that he is looking for.

    To your credit, not every spammer actually reads the groups they post to.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:37:11 up 13 days, 20:56, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.42, 0.31

    alexd, Apr 27, 2007
  16. Alan

    LVMarc Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > LVMarc wrote:
    >

    >>mr deo wrote:

    >>>It's a shame you young people dont actually respect rules.....

    > I can only presume you're using that cliche tongue in cheek.
    >

    >>the poster specifically asked for a simple POTS voip adapter. one f the
    >>posters suggested a "frtizbox" a gaint switch that uses an entire PC
    >>for base support.

    > I think you may be confusing a Fritzbox [an ATA] with Trixbox [an
    > Asterisk-based softswitch distribution].
    >

    >>I merely, suggested yet another product, that he is looking for.

    > To your credit, not every spammer actually reads the groups they post to.

    I am not aspammer. merely an engineer that makes gadgets. The
    combine-a-line phone "gadget" is one of my favorite items. The need to
    be able to switch between two phone lines(sources) stems from the high
    price difference between single line phones and dual line phones.Plus
    they do not make two line answering machines nor two line modems.

    A hand operated switch was my first approach, simple however it seemed
    to me that you could put some electronics inside an automate the
    switching. This was accomplished on a breadboard. Then I realized that
    once in a call (say on line 1) and a call came in on line2 then it would
    switch right in the middle of a call! Yikes. So time to place a
    switching inhibit function when in call. Then the surge protectors and
    connectors to add utility.

    It would have been an easier design if I use a wall wart power supply,
    and a microprossesor to provide control. More expensive too. The
    combine--a-line uses fixed logic to provide control. The power used is
    minimal, and only consumes power during the instant of switching, so no
    power supply and no computer chip.

    The units are fabricated in Taiwan and USA with a great Contract
    Manufacturer! These are then sold direct and to distributor use with
    thier products and service operations.

    I read the voip ngs all the time as VOIP and PSTN line combining is the
    application that has propelled the clt to record sales each month! I
    post here when folks ask"what the best way to swtich between voip and
    pstn for my single equipment.

    Best regards,

    marc

    LVMarc, Apr 27, 2007