Postings only partially sucessful

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Murgi, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    I am testing my new usenet provider and have observed the following:

    I have subscribed to the newsgroups

    aaa.test
    alt.news.microsoft
    alt.online-service.microsoft
    microsoft.public
    microsoft.public.dotnet.general

    I can read the messages in all newsgroups, and my uploaded messages also
    appear in:
    alt.news.microsoft
    microsoft.public
    aaa.test

    However, my message does not show up in:
    microsoft.public.dotnet.general
    alt.online-service.microsoft

    I know that some messages appear a bit later due to virus and spam mail
    checking by the provider. It's been over 2 hours ago in my case...
    Is this normal? I don't know where to tweak anything.

    Murgi
    Murgi, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Murgi

    Boomer Guest

    Murgi, <-net.ne.jp> wrote:

    > I am testing my new usenet provider and have observed the
    > following:
    >
    > I have subscribed to the newsgroups
    >
    > aaa.test
    > alt.news.microsoft
    > alt.online-service.microsoft
    > microsoft.public
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.general
    >
    > I can read the messages in all newsgroups, and my uploaded
    > messages also appear in:
    > alt.news.microsoft
    > microsoft.public
    > aaa.test
    >
    > However, my message does not show up in:
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.general
    > alt.online-service.microsoft

    I would contact your news server tech/admin.

    You can always check here in a few hours to see what has been
    propagated.
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

    > I know that some messages appear a bit later due to virus and
    > spam mail checking by the provider.

    Usent and mail are two different things. Sending mail and sending a
    message to a usenet group are two different processes.

    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Murgi wrote:

    > However, my message does not show up in:
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.general
    > alt.online-service.microsoft
    >
    > I know that some messages appear a bit later due to virus and spam mail
    > checking by the provider. It's been over 2 hours ago in my case...
    > Is this normal? I don't know where to tweak anything.

    The quality and consistency of feeds varies, to be sure. That aside, is
    it possible that those are moderated groups? If it's going through a
    human intermediary, it'll take longer.

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    > > I know that some messages appear a bit later due to virus and
    > > spam mail checking by the provider.

    > Usent and mail are two different things. Sending mail and sending a
    > message to a usenet group are two different processes.

    Sorry, wrong terminology on my behalf. I have sent a "New Post" (OE
    terminology) to the NGs.
    Will check Google later on.

    Thanks,
    Murgi
    Murgi, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    > The quality and consistency of feeds varies, to be sure. That aside, is
    > it possible that those are moderated groups? If it's going through a
    > human intermediary, it'll take longer.

    I understand...
    I assume that one doesn't know whether a NG is moderated or not before
    subscribing to it. Are there locked NGs too, or NGs for Read only?
    Murgi, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Murgi wrote:

    >> The quality and consistency of feeds varies, to be sure. That aside, is
    >> it possible that those are moderated groups? If it's going through a
    >> human intermediary, it'll take longer.

    > I understand...
    > I assume that one doesn't know whether a NG is moderated or not before

    You could look for a FAQ or a charter for it. If your news client shows
    a description for newsgroups, "moderated" might appear there.

    > subscribing to it. Are there locked NGs too, or NGs for Read only?

    Never heard of that, but I've not heard of everything.

    Yet. :)

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2004