    I know some groups post directly and some post by web page....
    Just curious.
    John Loomis
    jloo, May 3, 2007

  2. jloo

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    Unless you see "binaries" in the name of a newsgroup, don't post
    pictures directly to it.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/
    Amazingly simple photo sharing
    Bruce Lewis, May 3, 2007

  3. jloo

    Jim Townsend Guest

    jloo wrote:

    > I wonder why this group is not a binary.....I guess it is an info only.
    > I do see a binary group for amateur landscape.
    > It would be interesting to see a binary amateur digital photograph
    > newsgroup.

    All photos posted on the web are digital. They're either taken
    with a digital camera and posted directly, or they're film/prints
    that have been scanned to digital files :)

    FWIW Most photos in the binary groups are taken with digital cameras.

    alt.binaries.photos.original is one good photo sharing group. It's
    very busy and there are a lot of great amateurs posting excellent
    photos there.
    Jim Townsend, May 3, 2007
  4. jloo

    jloo Guest

    I wonder why this group is not a binary.....I guess it is an info only.
    I do see a binary group for amateur landscape.
    It would be interesting to see a binary amateur digital photograph
    newsgroup.
    Thanks for the reply
    John Loomis

    jloo, May 3, 2007
  5. jloo

    l v Guest

    jloo wrote:
    > Do people post directly to this news group with photos or is it better to
    > post by web site?
    > I know some groups post directly and some post by web page....
    > Just curious.
    > John Loomis

    Some of us pay for access to new group servers which is tracked by the
    amount of data downloaded. While a web page is free.

    --

    Len
    l v, May 3, 2007
  6. jloo

    bugbear Guest

    jloo wrote:
    > I wonder why this group is not a binary.....I guess it is an info only.
    > I do see a binary group for amateur landscape.
    > It would be interesting to see a binary amateur digital photograph
    > newsgroup.

    Web hosted image are much more versatile - thumbnails,
    meta data, variable resolution, links to other images,
    tags etc.

    BugBear
    bugbear, May 3, 2007
  7. jloo

    Scubabix Guest

    There are a lot of newsgroups for photo sharing depending on the subject you
    prefer. One I frequent is alt.binaries.photos.original

    Rob
    Scubabix, May 4, 2007
  8. jloo

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 10:25:18 +0100, bugbear wrote:

    >> I wonder why this group is not a binary.....I guess it is an info only.
    >> I do see a binary group for amateur landscape.
    >> It would be interesting to see a binary amateur digital photograph
    >> newsgroup.

    > Web hosted image are much more versatile - thumbnails,
    > meta data, variable resolution, links to other images,
    > tags etc.

    Additionally, pictures stored on a web host remain until
    intentionally removed. Pictures stored in a binary newsgroup have
    retention times that depend on the particular NNTP host, usually
    varying from several months with the better fee based hosts to as
    little as a couple of days and poor completion on the free ones.
    ASAAR, May 4, 2007