  1. Blank

    Blank Guest

    I am new on newsgroups. Where is the best place to go for help in posting?
    Blank, Apr 8, 2008

  2. Blank

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:01:04 -0400, "Blank" <>
    wrote:

    >I am new on newsgroups. Where is the best place to go for help in posting?

    So are you going to stay as Blank or Lanham?
    Evan Platt, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Blank

    ded Guest

    "Blank" <> wrote in message
    >I am new on newsgroups. Where is the best place to go for help in posting?

    As you can see from another reply, your headers reveal all and that you
    were posting under a diff nym very recently, there is nothing wrong with
    being new to usenet, and you'll learn as you go along.
    Usenet can be highly volitile, very contentious, provocative and clique'ish.
    Initially just pick a few groups which cover something that interests you
    and watch how others do things.
    ded, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Blank

    Dan C Guest

    **** off and die, troll.

    Dan C, Apr 9, 2008
  5. Blank

    Tony Guest

    Beware of this Steve aka Steve Y aka Steve O etc character - he
    questions every post he doesn't understand and if you get irritated at
    him, he will follow you through usenet trolling your posts. Plonk
    (killfile) him and *never* answer any of his posts.

    --
    The 3, 2, 1 master of the CyberFROG

    Tony, Apr 9, 2008
  6. Blank

    VanguardLH Guest

    Blank wrote:

    > I am new on newsgroups. Where is the best place to go for help in posting?

    http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html
    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_6.html

    Regarding use of FollowUp-To when cross-posting, I disagree with the
    netiquette sites that recommend using it; see rant below.

    --- Rant on inappropriate use of the FollowUp-To header ---

    Don't use the FollowUp-To header. Posting to, say, 5 newsgroups but
    moving replies to just 1 of them or to a completely different one means
    you disconnect the visitors of those other 4 (or 5) newsgroups from the
    rest of the discussion. If a newsgroup is appropriate for your post
    then it is also appropriate for the replies. Or, converserly, if the
    continued discussion of your post is not appropriate in all the
    newsgroups to which you cross-posted then you should not have posted to
    those other newsgroups in the first place. You are using the
    FollowUp-To header to move replies to YOUR "home" newsgroup but which
    the users of the other newsgroups may not visit. After all, if you
    cross-post and include your "home" newsgroup then you'll see all those
    replies in your home newsgroup and meanwhile all the other users can
    still see the replies in their newsgroup where you decided to also
    publish your post.

    In http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/, it says, "For a
    cross-post, you may want to set the Followup-To: header line to the most
    suitable group for the rest of the discussion". Read another way, that
    means you disconnect the discussion from all the visitors of the other
    newsgroups to which you decided to publish your post. Why did you
    publish to those other newsgroups if you are going to yank the
    discussion away from those users and perhaps even from the respondents
    you were attempting to elicit? It is exasperating to post a reply and
    never see it in the newsgroup where you read the original post. If your
    post was appropriate for all the groups to which you cross-posted then
    why wouldn't those same groups be appropriate for the replies? To yank
    away the discussion to your "home" group is rude since that is probably
    not the "home" group for your respondents. You wanted replies which may
    require further replies but now your respondents no longer see the
    thread in the newsgroup that they visit to where you published your
    post. Also, the respondents may not know if their reply is appropriate
    in the "home" group that you happen to choose. In general, malcontents
    and spammers use the FollowUp-To header to hide negative replies to
    their flame or spam posts, often sending the replies off to a *.test
    newsgroup.

    There are some cases where FollowUp-To should be used. For example, say
    a newsgroup is supposed to only get used for citing the content of a
    spam e-mail. Discussions about that spam are not supposed to be
    published in that citing newsgroup. Just the exhibits are published
    there. If someone wants to discuss that particular spam, their replies
    should go into a different newsgroup meant for those discussions. I
    believe that is how some of the NANAE newsgroups operate but the
    principle may apply elsewhere but it is rare few newsgroups where
    FollowUp-To is appropriate. For the vast majority of newsgroups,
    FollowUp-To is *not* appropriate. If you do not want continue the
    discussion in the other newsgroups then don't cross-post over there (and
    then use FollowUp-To to yank away the continued discussion). If the
    discussion is not appropriate in those other newsgroups then it seems
    you have nominated your post to be spam.

    If you do use the FollowUp-To header, you are expected per netiquette to
    alert the readers of your post that you used that header. Be polite and
    add a note (at the start of your post) saying that you used the header
    (ex., "WARNING: FollowUp-To was used and points to <newsgroup>". You
    might also want to explain why any further discussion in the other
    newsgroups is inappropriate despite your rudeness in posting to those
    other newsgroups. Many times respondents wonder where their reply post
    went because they expect to see it in the group they visited and where
    they read your post. Not all NNTP clients alert the user that the
    poster used the FollowUp-To header. Think about it: you post to
    multiple newsgroups but yank the replies to a different newsgroup than
    where your respondents visited, then you need more help and reply to
    those replies but which are now only in your "home" newsgroup, but the
    respondents won't see their posts nor will they see your replies to them
    asking for more help. FollowUp-To is not required when you cross-post
    since your "home" newsgroup should be one those that were specified in
    the list of newsgroups. You'll watch the discussion in your home
    newsgroup and the respondents or lurkers can watch that same discussion
    in their own newsgroup. If you don't want replies to show up in all the
    newsgroups to which you cross-posted then don't cross-post over there in
    the first place!

    When crossposting, there are not multiple copies of your post that
    wastes bandwidth for each to get them propagated to other NNTP servers
    and there aren't multiple copies of your post consuming disk space. A
    single copy gets sent to the other NNTP servers and a single copy
    resides on each NNTP server with pointers to it to make it show up in
    multiple newsgroups. You aren't saving bandwidth or disk space by
    redirecting replies for a cross-posted message to a single newsgroup.
    You are just being rude to the visitors of the other newsgroups to which
    you cross-posted but tried to yank away the discussion.

    --- End of rant ---
    VanguardLH, Apr 10, 2008