    Trooper Guest

    How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to, and not
    top post. Any ideas guys would be a great help. Cheers
    Trooper, May 4, 2005

  2. Trooper

    gangle Guest

    "Trooper" wrote
    > How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to, and not
    > top post. Any ideas guys would be a great help. Cheers

    WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
    Some people will filter out your posts just because they
    originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
    news servers that would allow you to post directly using
    free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
    (which I'm using to post this).
    gangle, May 4, 2005

  3. Trooper

    Trooper Guest

    Gangle wrote:

    >WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
    >Some people will filter out your posts just because they
    >originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
    >news servers that would allow you to post directly using
    >free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
    >(which I'm using to post this).

    Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
    so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
    out a bit amateur.
    Trooper, May 4, 2005
  4. Trooper

    Paul B. Guest

    Trooper wrote:
    > Gangle wrote:
    >

    >>WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
    >>Some people will filter out your posts just because they
    >>originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
    >>news servers that would allow you to post directly using
    >>free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
    >>(which I'm using to post this).

    > Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
    > so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
    > out a bit amateur.

    I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
    impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

    p.
    Paul B., May 4, 2005
  5. Trooper

    Guest

    Trooper wrote:

    > How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to,

    - firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
    nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
    - and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
    posting

    The googlegroups help place describes it like this:

    <GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
    reply?

    To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
    link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
    of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
    with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
    comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at the
    bottom.
    </GH>

    What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
    edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

    > and not
    > top post.

    The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default behavior
    of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

    Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but if
    you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
    to trim and contextualize the preceding post.
    , May 4, 2005
  6. Trooper

    Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:07:21 GMT, "Paul B." <>
    wrote:

    |>Trooper wrote:

    |>> Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
    |>> so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
    |>> out a bit amateur.

    |>I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
    |>impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

    The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
    http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

    --
    http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml
    , May 4, 2005
  7. Trooper

    Trooper Guest

    wrote:
    > Trooper wrote:
    >
    > > How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to,

    > - firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
    > nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
    > - and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
    > posting
    >
    > The googlegroups help place describes it like this:
    >
    > <GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
    > reply?
    >
    > To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
    > link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
    > of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
    > with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
    > comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at

    the
    > bottom.
    > </GH>

    Okay, that seems to work.

    > What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
    > edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

    Which I reckon I can do like this.

    > > and not
    > > top post.

    > The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default

    behavior
    > of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

    As I can see, but I asked because nearly every Google post I've seen
    always seems to be a top-poster.

    > Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but

    if
    > you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
    > to trim and contextualize the preceding post.

    Which is good old fashioned snipping I suppose.

    What I don't like about Google is that it appears by default to show
    the senders IP address. Is there a way round that?

    Thanks for the advice, I'm grateful to you. :^)
    Trooper, May 4, 2005
  8. Trooper

    Paul B. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:07:21 GMT, "Paul B." <>
    > wrote:

    > |>I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
    > |>impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.
    >
    > The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
    > http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

    Looks the same to me. Problem is there's no way to expand threads
    except to go to the thread page. Very cumbersome. Threads should
    either be shown open or be expandable via javascript. But that
    would necessitate ignore functions as well. They have a ways to
    go, but will probably get there.

    One thing they've got, however, is definitive propagation.

    p.
    Paul B., May 4, 2005
  9. Trooper

    Plato Guest

    Paul B. wrote:

    > I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
    > impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

    I know. It used to be fine, then for whatever they changed the format
    making it almost unusable, and pratically impossible on a 15 inch
    monitor in a lower resolution.
    Plato, May 4, 2005
  10. Trooper

    Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:07:52 GMT, "Paul B." <>
    wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
    |>> http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

    |>Looks the same to me. Problem is there's no way to expand threads
    |>except to go to the thread page. Very cumbersome. Threads should
    |>either be shown open or be expandable via javascript. But that
    |>would necessitate ignore functions as well. They have a ways to
    |>go, but will probably get there.
    |>
    |>One thing they've got, however, is definitive propagation.

    It changed! I no sooner posted the above, when I noticed the beta tag,
    and deleted the message hoping nobody would read my blunder :)

    This just changed, I've been using the UK site to read the groups as
    it was much easier in all ways. Now it's Beta and just as bad as the
    other sites.

    --
    http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml
    , May 4, 2005
  11. Trooper

    Mike Easter Guest

    Trooper wrote:

    > What I don't like about Google is that it appears by default to show
    > the senders IP address. Is there a way round that?

    Not without doing something tricky in how you access the webpage, like
    use a proxy.

    All the more reason to use nntp and a newsserver that doesn't put that
    in there.

    This post of mine doesn't show it because of the choice of newsservers.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 4, 2005
  12. Plato wrote:

    > Paul B. wrote:
    >
    >>I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
    >>impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

    > I know. It used to be fine, then for whatever they changed the format
    > making it almost unusable, and pratically impossible on a 15 inch
    > monitor in a lower resolution.

    But give credit where credit is due. Google has made it laughably easy
    to post to Usenet any sort of spam, pyramid scheme or any other idiotic
    shit in order to stink up the place, AND there's no repercussions.
    Google has done as much or more to ruin Usenet as any other single
    entity out there.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 4, 2005
  13. Trooper wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>Trooper wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to,

    >> - firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
    >>nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
    >> - and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
    >>posting
    >>
    >>The googlegroups help place describes it like this:
    >>
    >><GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
    >>reply?
    >>
    >>To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
    >>link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
    >>of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
    >>with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
    >>comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at

    > the
    >
    >>bottom.
    >></GH>

    > Okay, that seems to work.
    >

    >>What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
    >>edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

    > Which I reckon I can do like this.
    >

    >>>and not
    >>>top post.

    >>The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default

    > behavior
    >
    >>of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

    > As I can see, but I asked because nearly every Google post I've seen
    > always seems to be a top-poster.
    >

    >>Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but

    > if
    >
    >>you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
    >>to trim and contextualize the preceding post.

    > Which is good old fashioned snipping I suppose.
    >
    > What I don't like about Google is that it appears by default to show
    > the senders IP address. Is there a way round that?
    >
    > Thanks for the advice, I'm grateful to you. :^)

    Google posters are by and large Usenet newbies/spammers/idiots. I'm sure
    there's exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Nice group you
    want to join.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 4, 2005
  14. Trooper

    Guest Guest

    "Trooper" <> wrote in message

    > Well I got this nice gmail email addy and ...

    .... you just divulged your Gmail address to the spambots that roam the
    newsgroups looking for e-mail addresses *if* "jpgkpl" is your username
    for your Gmail address. You need to munge your e-mail address with
    obvious dummy strings (make sure the domain is NOT valid) that human
    respondents will recognize or put the demunging info in your signature.
    If you don't intend to ever take a conversation offline via e-mail then
    use a bogus one (and make sure the domain is not valid).

    Read http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html. There is no way to
    undo what you did as your e-mail address in your post will linger around
    as long as the longest Usenet archive keeps a copy of your posts
    available. If "jpgkpl" was not your username for your Gmail account
    then realize that you may have screwed over another user that has or
    will have that username. Munge the domain name first.

    Google requires that you provide a valid e-mail address to complete
    registration. That doesn't mean it has to be your true e-mail address.
    Use an e-mail alias, like from Sneakemail.com, or a temporary one, like
    from Trashmail.net, or a disposable webmail account, like at Yahoo or
    Hotmail. That registration e-mail address gets recorded in your posts
    so it gets divulged to the spambots.
    Guest, May 4, 2005
  15. Trooper

    Trooper Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:50:59 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Trooper wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> - firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
    >>>nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
    >>> - and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
    >>>posting
    >>>
    >>>The googlegroups help place describes it like this:
    >>>
    >>><GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
    >>>reply?
    >>>
    >>>To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
    >>>link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
    >>>of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
    >>>with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
    >>>comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at

    >> the
    >>
    >>>bottom.
    >>></GH>

    >> Okay, that seems to work.
    >>

    >>>What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
    >>>edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

    >> Which I reckon I can do like this.

    >>>The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default

    >> behavior
    >>
    >>>of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

    >> As I can see, but I asked because nearly every Google post I've seen
    >> always seems to be a top-poster.
    >>

    >>>Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but

    >> if
    >>
    >>>you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
    >>>to trim and contextualize the preceding post.

    >> Which is good old fashioned snipping I suppose.
    >>
    >> What I don't like about Google is that it appears by default to show
    >> the senders IP address. Is there a way round that?
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice, I'm grateful to you. :^)

    >Google posters are by and large Usenet newbies/spammers/idiots. I'm sure
    >there's exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Nice group you
    >want to join.

    I could use the method I'm using now Rôgêr, but I was trying to set up
    a system to use Usenet from any PC. If you know of a better method to
    do that I would be grateful if you would let me know. :^)
    Trooper, May 4, 2005
  16. Trooper wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:50:59 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >>Google posters are by and large Usenet newbies/spammers/idiots. I'm sure
    >>there's exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Nice group you
    >>want to join.

    > I could use the method I'm using now Rôgêr, but I was trying to set up
    > a system to use Usenet from any PC. If you know of a better method to
    > do that I would be grateful if you would let me know. :^)

    I use four to five different computers at work and two or three at home.
    Then there are customers' computers at work and relatives' computers
    when I visit them. The only time it's a hassle to setup either
    Thunderbird, Netscape or OE to access groups is when I have to download
    the entire list of groups and the fastest connection is dialup. This
    doesn't happen often anymore.

    I will use Google from time to time to look up a post, but to me the
    hassle of setting up a Google account to post and then casting my lot
    with the spammers/lamers is not a good choice.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 4, 2005
  17. Trooper

    Trooper Guest

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:22:42 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Trooper wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 04 May 2005 09:50:59 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >>>Google posters are by and large Usenet newbies/spammers/idiots. I'm sure
    >>>there's exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Nice group you
    >>>want to join.

    >> I could use the method I'm using now Rôgêr, but I was trying to set up
    >> a system to use Usenet from any PC. If you know of a better method to
    >> do that I would be grateful if you would let me know. :^)

    >I use four to five different computers at work and two or three at home.
    >Then there are customers' computers at work and relatives' computers
    >when I visit them. The only time it's a hassle to setup either
    >Thunderbird, Netscape or OE to access groups is when I have to download
    >the entire list of groups and the fastest connection is dialup. This
    >doesn't happen often anymore.

    While that works for you it doesn't help me, as you appear a great
    deal more informed than I am. I would have the same problem
    downloading all the groups just to access the two or three I want, and
    then I have to remember the various passwords, newsreaders and service
    providers.

    Google seemed to be the ideal solution.

    I take your point about the email and will change (munge) that. :^)

    >I will use Google from time to time to look up a post, but to me the
    >hassle of setting up a Google account to post and then casting my lot
    >with the spammers/lamers is not a good choice.

    Does anyone know of a better system of accessing Usenet from any PC?
    Trooper, May 4, 2005
  18. Trooper

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in news:lLmdndDGuJrYTuXfRVn-
    :

    > Google posters are by and large Usenet newbies/spammers/idiots. I'm sure
    > there's exceptions, but they are just that, exceptions. Nice group you
    > want to join.

    Which is why I have all Google posters filtered. (Thanks, Blinky.)

    I'm sure there are some very nice people who use Google, and I hope they
    eventually learn to use a newsreader and a free newsserver, but until they
    do, I won't be seeing them. All I can say is that the Google filter cleaned
    up my groups tremendously. (Thanks again, Blinky.)

    --
    "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
    want to know is - why not?"
    elaich, May 4, 2005
  19. Trooper

    Mike Easter Guest

    Trooper wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a better system of accessing Usenet from any PC?

    Same operating systems or different? How many of them? How are they
    configured, eg USB port? Any PC is too vague.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 4, 2005
  20. <Vanguard> wrote:
    > "Trooper" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Well I got this nice gmail email addy and ...

    > ... you just divulged your Gmail address to the spambots that roam

    the
    > newsgroups looking for e-mail addresses *if* "jpgkpl" is your

    username
    > for your Gmail address. You need to munge your e-mail address with
    > obvious dummy strings (make sure the domain is NOT valid) that human
    > respondents will recognize or put the demunging info in your

    signature.
    > If you don't intend to ever take a conversation offline via e-mail

    then
    > use a bogus one (and make sure the domain is not valid).

    I dont have any spam yet.
    Will Dearborn, May 4, 2005