    with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian
    TIA

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005

  2. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:31:31 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > Ok, I'm trying to give this postfix install a run for its money... only
    > thing is the 'how to' Ive found is for sarge.
    > http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22
    >
    > it says I can use the testing packages if I add a couple sources to my
    > sources.list, but, it dont:\, and the sources they list dont resolve (or
    > 404)
    > with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    > for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian TIA

    I use postfix on Woody, I just used the standard Woody package. And it
    worked fine, no worries. All the standard docs from books and the website
    just applied.

    But it is too old to do decent content filtering. Apparently now that most
    of the security infrastructure is now (or very soon to be) in place for
    Sarge, I'm thinking of upgrading to Sarge when I get some time.

    If you don't want to upgrade to Sarge yet, and don't want to bother with
    pinning packages from Sarge, you could try backports...

    http://www.backports.org/package.php?search=postfix

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 5, 2005

  3. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:31:31 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > Ok, I'm trying to give this postfix install a run for its money... only
    > thing is the 'how to' Ive found is for sarge.
    > http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22
    >
    > it says I can use the testing packages if I add a couple sources to my
    > sources.list, but, it dont:\, and the sources they list dont resolve (or
    > 404)
    > with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    > for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian
    > TIA

    Most of the packages there appear to be in the official testing mirrors
    try this source line, its the one I'm using at the moment
    deb ftp://debian.ihug.co.nz/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

    (do the same apt pinning stuff)

    I can't use the other one
    deb http://ftp.nz.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    because of TC de peering from WIX

    I'm using qmail
    shannon, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Shane (aka froggy)

    thing Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > Ok, I'm trying to give this postfix install a run for its money... only
    > thing is the 'how to' Ive found is for sarge.
    > http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22
    >
    > it says I can use the testing packages if I add a couple sources to my
    > sources.list, but, it dont:\, and the sources they list dont resolve (or
    > 404)
    > with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    > for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian
    > TIA

    I run sendmail, here is a basic setup.........

    http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sendmaildeb.htm

    clamav integrates very well with sendmail and debian, way easier than on
    postfix.

    Most other commercial Unixes tend to sendmail, so I would suggest
    concentrating on this if your after learning an smtp package.

    I have setup a few sendmial's on Debian, if you have issues, ask away.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:05:04 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >> Ok, I'm trying to give this postfix install a run for its money... only
    >> thing is the 'how to' Ive found is for sarge.
    >> http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22
    >>
    >> it says I can use the testing packages if I add a couple sources to my
    >> sources.list, but, it dont:\, and the sources they list dont resolve (or
    >> 404)
    >> with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    >> for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian
    >> TIA

    > I run sendmail, here is a basic setup.........
    >
    > http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sendmaildeb.htm
    >
    > clamav integrates very well with sendmail and debian, way easier than on
    > postfix.
    >
    > Most other commercial Unixes tend to sendmail, so I would suggest
    > concentrating on this if your after learning an smtp package.
    >
    > I have setup a few sendmial's on Debian, if you have issues, ask away.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Much the same as mine, except I've bought a 'real' domain that points to
    my dynamic ( no-ip.org ) one. In the new versions of sendmail the milter
    interface adds a load of flexibility.

    In addition, I use mailwasher ( http://oss.firetrust.com ) to hack spam,
    'cos it's made in Chch and dead good, and the spamhaus rbl as well as orbs

    ( FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org',``"Mail marked as spam refused,
    see http://www.spamhaus.org";'')dnl )

    Just one thing... don't tweak the sendmail.cf - *always* modify
    sendmail.mc and rebuild. Madness lies with the alternative :)

    ( I also had loads of problems with defining ihug as my smart host -
    there's a dns strangeness somewhere - which I fixed using the line

    define(`SMART_HOST', `esmtp:[smtp.ihug.co.nz]')dnl

    in my sendmail.mc. Strange but effective )

    I then used procmail to deliver locally to the courier imap mailstore,
    giving me pop3, imap and web based ( via squirrelmail ) mail access.

    Steve
    Steve, Apr 5, 2005
  6. On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:09:43 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:05:04 +1200, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >>> Ok, I'm trying to give this postfix install a run for its money... only
    >>> thing is the 'how to' Ive found is for sarge.
    >>> http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22
    >>>
    >>> it says I can use the testing packages if I add a couple sources to my
    >>> sources.list, but, it dont:\, and the sources they list dont resolve (or
    >>> 404)
    >>> with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    >>> for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian
    >>> TIA

    >> I run sendmail, here is a basic setup.........
    >>
    >> http://www.thing.dyndns.org/debian/sendmaildeb.htm
    >>
    >> clamav integrates very well with sendmail and debian, way easier than on
    >> postfix.
    >>
    >> Most other commercial Unixes tend to sendmail, so I would suggest
    >> concentrating on this if your after learning an smtp package.
    >>
    >> I have setup a few sendmial's on Debian, if you have issues, ask away.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Much the same as mine, except I've bought a 'real' domain that points to
    > my dynamic ( no-ip.org ) one. In the new versions of sendmail the milter
    > interface adds a load of flexibility.
    >
    > In addition, I use mailwasher ( http://oss.firetrust.com ) to hack spam,
    > 'cos it's made in Chch and dead good, and the spamhaus rbl as well as orbs
    >
    > ( FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org',``"Mail marked as spam refused,
    > see http://www.spamhaus.org";'')dnl )
    >
    > Just one thing... don't tweak the sendmail.cf - *always* modify
    > sendmail.mc and rebuild. Madness lies with the alternative :)
    >
    > ( I also had loads of problems with defining ihug as my smart host -
    > there's a dns strangeness somewhere - which I fixed using the line
    >
    > define(`SMART_HOST', `esmtp:[smtp.ihug.co.nz]')dnl
    >
    > in my sendmail.mc. Strange but effective )
    >
    > I then used procmail to deliver locally to the courier imap mailstore,
    > giving me pop3, imap and web based ( via squirrelmail ) mail access.
    >

    > Steve

    right I think I've given that postfix tute a fair crack and I wasnt
    capable of getting it up (no this is the first time Ive had that problem..
    honest) so I'm going to give things sendmail tute a crack
    to be fair I think it was the postfix tutorial that was at fault

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005
  7. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    for sarge.

    Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    things like the sources.list.

    To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    syntax is pretty rigid.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 5, 2005
  8. On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:04:44 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > for sarge.

    > Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    > things like the sources.list.
    >
    > To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    > sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    > number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    > is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    > syntax is pretty rigid.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 5, 2005
  9. Shane (aka froggy)

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>for sarge.

    >>Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    >>things like the sources.list.
    >>
    >>To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    >>sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    >>number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    >>is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    >>syntax is pretty rigid.

    > agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I
    > posted, because I copied and pasted to sources as instructed
    > by them.

    Mirrors do drop out. But if the mirrors were eg debian.org
    or similar, then that is unlikely.

    One problem with cut-and-paste is that stuff which should be
    on one line is split over two or more.

    I can't paste my sources.list since I use a local apt-proxy,
    but once you get it set up, it just works.

    If you post yours, maybe someone can spot something.

    When you have a working set, then do apt-get update to
    ensure that your cache/db is up to date. I personally do an
    apt-get upgrade about once a week, but that is probably
    unnecessary. If you ar starting from a scratch system and
    apt-get upgrade might download heaps of stuff.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 6, 2005
  10. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:07:58 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    > copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    Which bits are giving 404s? You haven't really told us what problems you
    are having.

    You've basically got problems with mixing packages from different Debian
    distros. My advice would be to try it all out on a Sarge systems first.

    This is the kind of task you want to do right and having a test run or two
    is worthwhile.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 6, 2005
  11. Shane (aka froggy)

    thing Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    8><---

    > right I think I've given that postfix tute a fair crack and I wasnt
    > capable of getting it up (no this is the first time Ive had that problem..
    > honest) so I'm going to give things sendmail tute a crack
    > to be fair I think it was the postfix tutorial that was at fault

    Once sendmail is installed on debian run sendmailconfig, this walks you
    through the basic settings by asking you questions, its easy as long as
    you know the answers....

    ;]

    ie understand the smtp principles well.....

    <grin>

    regards

    thing
    thing, Apr 6, 2005
  12. On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:25:14 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    > 8><---
    >

    >> right I think I've given that postfix tute a fair crack and I wasnt
    >> capable of getting it up (no this is the first time Ive had that problem..
    >> honest) so I'm going to give things sendmail tute a crack
    >> to be fair I think it was the postfix tutorial that was at fault

    > Once sendmail is installed on debian run sendmailconfig, this walks you
    > through the basic settings by asking you questions, its easy as long as
    > you know the answers....
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > ie understand the smtp principles well.....
    >
    > <grin>
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    heh.. guess what...
    #sendmailconfig
    bash: sendmailconfig: command not found
    (bastards!)
    I suspect I broke something in my numerous tries and have reinstalled
    debian from scratch

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 6, 2005
  13. On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:17:35 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:07:58 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    >> copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    > Which bits are giving 404s? You haven't really told us what problems you
    > are having.
    >
    > You've basically got problems with mixing packages from different Debian
    > distros. My advice would be to try it all out on a Sarge systems first.
    >
    > This is the kind of task you want to do right and having a test run or two
    > is worthwhile.

    true. as Ive just posted in reply to things post (and also a part of
    another post)
    I have reinstalled debian from scratch as I suspect I broke something in
    my numerous attempts, I am also blaming the tutorial for (most likely)
    being out of date, disappointing as it was linked from postfixes site

    I have lost count of the number of tantrums I have thrown, its definitely
    a learning experience ( I installed debian on that machine specifically
    for a mailserver, and have erred on the conservative side for stability
    reasons [no I'm not expecting mountains of mail, its just a test run
    afterall])

    Theres nothing like jumping in the deep end to learn to swim!

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 6, 2005
  14. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:07:58 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >> for sarge.

    >> Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    >> things like the sources.list.
    >>
    >> To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    >> sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    >> number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    >> is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    >> syntax is pretty rigid.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    > copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    One of them was for some guys local archive
    You are probably best to use local mirrors
    Paradise has a debian mirror the line is

    deb http://debian.paradise.net.nz/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

    Thats the only line currently uncommented in my sources.list although I do
    also have others like

    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main

    for multimedia stuff like lame
    shannon, Apr 6, 2005
  15. Shane (aka froggy)

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:35:19 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > true. as Ive just posted in reply to things post (and also a part of
    > another post)
    > I have reinstalled debian from scratch as I suspect I broke something in
    > my numerous attempts, I am also blaming the tutorial for (most likely)
    > being out of date, disappointing as it was linked from postfixes site

    It's more probably a matter of knowing when to deviate from a tutorial. No
    tutorial can cover your situation exactly. It pays to try and understand
    what each step is trying to do, then decide whether it is needed at all,
    or could be tweaked a bit.

    > I have lost count of the number of tantrums I have thrown, its definitely
    > a learning experience ( I installed debian on that machine specifically
    > for a mailserver, and have erred on the conservative side for stability
    > reasons [no I'm not expecting mountains of mail, its just a test run
    > afterall])

    I know the feeling - I've been fighting an integration project (pam_krb5,
    pam_mkhomedir, sasl2, nss_ldap etc) between Debian/Ubuntu and Active
    Directory for a while now and made lots of progress only to get stymied
    towards at the end with kerberised smbfs client only working with Samba
    servers, not Windows servers. Oh well, I have a few kludges available.

    > Theres nothing like jumping in the deep end to learn to swim!

    Yep. Don't be afraid to break it and start again. It also pays to keep
    some notes of what you've done each time too.

    I think trying to achieve MTA virus filtering on Woody is a little
    optimistic unless you use backports or build your own versions of newer
    software (which isn't very 'Debian').

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 6, 2005
  16. Shane (aka froggy)

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:50:23 +1200, shannon wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:07:58 +1200, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    >>> for sarge.

    >>> Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    >>> things like the sources.list.
    >>>
    >>> To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    >>> sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    >>> number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    >>> is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    >>> syntax is pretty rigid.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    >> copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    > One of them was for some guys local archive
    > You are probably best to use local mirrors
    > Paradise has a debian mirror the line is
    >
    > deb http://debian.paradise.net.nz/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    >
    > Thats the only line currently uncommented in my sources.list although I do
    > also have others like
    >
    > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
    >
    > for multimedia stuff like lame

    This is up...

    deb ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    deb-src ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    Steve, Apr 6, 2005
  17. Steve wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:50:23 +1200, shannon wrote:

    >>>agreed, except you didnt take a look at the tutes that I posted, because I
    >>>copied and pasted to sources as instructed by them.

    >>One of them was for some guys local archive
    >>You are probably best to use local mirrors
    >>Paradise has a debian mirror the line is
    >>
    >>deb http://debian.paradise.net.nz/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    >>
    >>Thats the only line currently uncommented in my sources.list although I do
    >>also have others like
    >>
    >>deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
    >>
    >>for multimedia stuff like lame

    > This is up...
    >
    > deb ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    > deb-src ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

    I asked Paradise about their Debian mirror and thier reply was that it
    was out of date and there were no future plans of keeping it current.
    They suggested debian.co.nz. I guess it's a matter of time
    b4 that becomes international traffic too.
    Telstra scumbags...
    Graeme Woollett, Apr 6, 2005
  18. Shane (aka froggy)

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:48:54 +1200, Graeme Woollett wrote:

    > Steve wrote:

    >>>One of them was for some guys local archive
    >>>You are probably best to use local mirrors
    >>>Paradise has a debian mirror the line is
    >>>
    >>>deb http://debian.paradise.net.nz/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    >>>
    >>>Thats the only line currently uncommented in my sources.list although I do
    >>>also have others like
    >>>
    >>>deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
    >>>
    >>>for multimedia stuff like lame

    >> This is up...
    >>
    >> deb ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    >> deb-src ftp://debian.attica.net.nz/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
    >>

    > I asked Paradise about their Debian mirror and thier reply was that it
    > was out of date and there were no future plans of keeping it current.
    > They suggested debian.co.nz. I guess it's a matter of time
    > b4 that becomes international traffic too.
    > Telstra scumbags...

    What a bunch of arseholes, they cut off Telstra customers access to the
    official nz.debian.org mirror and they can't be fucked updating their own.
    It would take **** all effort for them to rsync to the official mirror at
    Citylink.
    Get a clue TC, you've taken Paradise from good to bloody useless.
    shannon, Apr 6, 2005
  19. Shane (aka froggy)

    David Preece Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    > with that in mind can someone _please_ point me towards a good 'how to'
    > for postfix on debian, or exim on debian, or sendmail on debian

    Exim's there already. Su to root then run eximconfig. For more advanced
    stuff I just read the comments in the conf file, generally.

    Mail me if you get stuck.

    Cheers,
    Dave
    David Preece, Apr 6, 2005

  20. > Sounds to me like you need to get a handle on apt-get and
    > things like the sources.list.
    >
    > To add other sources to sources.list you need to find the
    > sources and add them correctly to the souces.list. There's a
    > number of tutes on this out there, but if you got 404s, it
    > is likely that you screwed your sources.list somehow. The
    > syntax is pretty rigid.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I started again completely from scratch, fresh install, fresh tutorial,
    http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail/
    this time everything installed without a grumble (thanking ihug for
    providing the mirrors to people who's isp wont provide one)
    It would appear I had borked something in a previous attempt that was
    stopping it being redone.
    Next Job is configuration, expecting that to be job and half on its own
    Apologies to those that I snapped at when they only trying to help (Cliff)
    and thanks all that have offered aid so far

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 6, 2005