    leo Guest

    How do you like the prints from an 8MP camera. Where do you print and
    how do you prepare the file?

    leo, Dec 24, 2004

  2. leo

    philipp Guest

    I printed a cropped aerial photo from my Canon D300 and "printed" on an
    HP 1055 plotter. I used Satin finish photo paper (roll) and made a 24 x
    36 print. I was surprised how well it came out. I want to experiment
    with some full resolution / tripod shots to see how they do. BTW - I
    pasted the raster image into AutoCAD so that I could draw in the
    property lines; then plotted the AutoCAD file.

    philipp, Dec 24, 2004

  3. leo

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, I use Photoshop CS to upsize the image to 360dpi at the size I want to
    print. Then I print it on my Epson 7600, up to 24x36.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Dec 24, 2004
  4. leo

    leo Guest

    philipp wrote:
    > I printed a cropped aerial photo from my Canon D300 and "printed" on an
    > HP 1055 plotter. I used Satin finish photo paper (roll) and made a 24 x
    > 36 print. I was surprised how well it came out. I want to experiment
    > with some full resolution / tripod shots to see how they do. BTW - I
    > pasted the raster image into AutoCAD so that I could draw in the
    > property lines; then plotted the AutoCAD file.

    Thanks. I should have been more specific. What service do people use?
    Ofoto is the cheapest. Can I send the file in AdobeRGB or need to
    convert to sRGB? Or better yet, to convert the photo to the printer
    profile it uses. As I think that 50" HDTV is good enough to my eyes so
    an 8MP would be more than enough for 20x30 prints. I heard that Lightjet
    is great but a causal search found out they are extremely expensive for
    the first print setup!

    leo, Dec 24, 2004
  5. leo

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Thanks. I should have been more specific. What service do people use?
    > Ofoto is the cheapest. Can I send the file in AdobeRGB or need to
    > convert to sRGB? Or better yet, to convert the photo to the printer
    > profile it uses. As I think that 50" HDTV is good enough to my eyes so
    > an 8MP would be more than enough for 20x30 prints. I heard that Lightjet
    > is great but a causal search found out they are extremely expensive for
    > the first print setup!

    The difference between a 50" HDTV and a poster is that people don't walk
    to within 10 inches of the TV and look for any flaw they can find. : )

    My boss has a 20x30 print on his office wall from Ofoto that he took with
    his 6mp digital rebel. It's an aerial shot taken from his glider, and it
    looks pretty good. Of course, if you walk right up to it and expect it to
    be as razor-sharp as a 4x6 print would be, you will be disappointed-but as
    long as he doesn't tell anyone that he used a digital camera, nobody sticks
    their face right up to the print, and they think it's a great photo.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 24, 2004
  6. leo

    RustY© Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I use Photoshop CS to upsize the image to 360dpi at the size I want
    > to print. Then I print it on my Epson 7600, up to 24x36.

    What size file does this give you Tom ? 24x36 @ 360 dpi must be pretty
    hefty.
    --
    For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

    RustY©, Dec 24, 2004
  7. Hi Tom,

    << I use Photoshop CS to upsize the image to 360dpi at the size I want to
    print. Then I print it on my Epson 7600, up to 24x36. >>

    I am very happily surprised at how good the upsizing program is in PS CS. I've
    taken rather small files and upsized for 12x18 color prints. Outstanding.

    I have a Fuji S7000 digital camera (6 MP; interpolation to 12 MP) and can get
    rather large files for printing enlargements this way also.

    I suppose my next wish is to have 24x36 printing capability and may get the
    Epson 7600. I'm also interested in the HP 130 Designjet (?) which prints up to
    24x64 and costs about half as much as the Epson 7600.

    Best wishes,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Dec 24, 2004
  8. leo

    Arthur Small Guest

    Check out http://bigphotohelp.com/. I have had 24 x 36 prints made from a 5
    MP camera that looks great. As others have said you don't view a 24 x 36
    like you do a 4 x 6.

    Arthur Small, Dec 24, 2004
  9. leo

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >Well, I use Photoshop CS to upsize the image to 360dpi at the size I want to
    >print. Then I print it on my Epson 7600, up to 24x36.
    >
    >Tom

    Your own control and the ability to use a + or- 700mb file is great. How much
    ram are you using? gig and a half or so? Have you experimented with B&W I'm
    curious about the consistancy of the 7600.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Dec 24, 2004
  10. leo

    leo Guest

    Arthur Small wrote:
    > Check out http://bigphotohelp.com/. I have had 24 x 36 prints made from a 5
    > MP camera that looks great. As others have said you don't view a 24 x 36
    > like you do a 4 x 6.

    I don't want inkjet prints. Are most posters size photos printed on
    inkjets besides the expensive LightJet/Chromira?

    leo, Dec 24, 2004
  11. leo

    Arthur Small Guest

    These are NOT inkjet. Printed on choice of papers.

    Arthur Small, Dec 24, 2004
  12. leo

    leo Guest

    Arthur Small wrote:
    > These are NOT inkjet. Printed on choice of papers.

    From their website:

    We use HP Designjet 5000 ink jet printers and Kodak Premium
    PhotographicPaper.

    Our HP Designjet 5000 printers use six ink colors. This compares with
    three dye colors for silver halide (standard photographic paper), and
    four for most high-quality offset color printing. Its resolution is 600
    x 1200 dpi. Its ink layering technology provides the effect of even
    higher resolution.

    The lifetime of these prints, in bright indoor lighting, is about 10-25
    years. This compares with 5 years for stabilized silver halide prints
    (most rapid turnaround photofinishers), and 20 years for washed silver
    halide prints (commercial photofinishers). Both ink jet and silver
    halide prints will last longer if protected from UV light.

    leo, Dec 24, 2004
  13. leo

    Tom Scales Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message
    > Arthur Small wrote:
    >> Check out http://bigphotohelp.com/. I have had 24 x 36 prints made from a
    >> 5 MP camera that looks great. As others have said you don't view a 24 x
    >> 36 like you do a 4 x 6.

    > I don't want inkjet prints. Are most posters size photos printed on
    > inkjets besides the expensive LightJet/Chromira?

    Good grief, why not?

    My Epson 7600 prints 24x36" prints -- all inkjet and they are stunning!
    Used by professionals all over the world.

    Tom Scales, Dec 24, 2004
  14. Tom Scales wrote:

    > Good grief, why not?
    >
    > My Epson 7600 prints 24x36" prints -- all inkjet and they are
    > stunning! Used by professionals all over the world.

    Pretty much all wide format printers or plotters are some sort of inkjet
    printer. All the HPs and Encads I have seen are inkjet. They do a great
    job.

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 24, 2004
  15. leo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> My Epson 7600 prints 24x36" prints -- all inkjet and they are
    >> stunning! Used by professionals all over the world.

    >From: "Rita Ä Berkowitz"
    >
    >Pretty much all wide format printers or plotters are some sort of inkjet
    >printer. All the HPs and Encads I have seen are inkjet.

    Exceptions are the laser printers that use straight RGB, with exceptional
    results. The two I'm most familiar with are the LightJet series and the
    Chromira.

    Bill Hilton, Dec 24, 2004
  16. Bill Hilton wrote:

    >> Pretty much all wide format printers or plotters are some sort of
    >> inkjet printer. All the HPs and Encads I have seen are inkjet.

    > Exceptions are the laser printers that use straight RGB, with
    > exceptional results. The two I'm most familiar with are the LightJet
    > series and the Chromira.

    Thanks for letting me know about Lightjet, that thing is pretty nice. I'm
    not sure if I want to run a 70 PSI dedicated air supply to the den or pay
    for a maintenance contract on the three lasers, though. I have an older
    Designjet and Encad that yields average results. If I need anything beyond
    the quality I can get from those two plotters I can just go to the local
    printer and have them run me a copy.

    http://www.cymbolic.com/lightjet430.html

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 24, 2004
  17. leo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Rita Ä Berkowitz"

    >Thanks for letting me know about Lightjet, that thing is pretty nice. I'm
    >not sure if I want to run a 70 PSI dedicated air supply to the den or pay
    >for a maintenance contract on the three lasers, though.

    It was the $130,000 initial cost on the LightJet 5000 that made me look
    elsewhere :) I'm happy with my Epson 4000 (17" wide) but if I had the room I'd
    definitely get the 9600 (44" wide) ...

    Bill Hilton, Dec 24, 2004
  18. Bill Hilton wrote:

    >> Thanks for letting me know about Lightjet, that thing is pretty
    >> nice. I'm not sure if I want to run a 70 PSI dedicated air supply
    >> to the den or pay for a maintenance contract on the three lasers,
    >> though.

    > It was the $130,000 initial cost on the LightJet 5000 that made me
    > look elsewhere :) I'm happy with my Epson 4000 (17" wide) but if I
    > had the room I'd definitely get the 9600 (44" wide) ...

    I know what you mean, that damn sticker shock is a killer. If you play your
    cards right you'll be able to one up for under a $1,000 when the Joint
    Chiefs or the Department of Defense scrap theirs in about 4 years.
    Unfortunately, by then this model will be as obsolete as the dinosaur.

    Rita
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 25, 2004
  19. leo

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <>,
    dy says...

    >>From: "Rita Ä Berkowitz"

    >>Thanks for letting me know about Lightjet, that thing is pretty nice. I'm
    >>not sure if I want to run a 70 PSI dedicated air supply to the den or pay
    >>for a maintenance contract on the three lasers, though.

    >It was the $130,000 initial cost on the LightJet 5000 that made me look
    >elsewhere :) I'm happy with my Epson 4000 (17" wide) but if I had the room

    I'd
    >definitely get the 9600 (44" wide) ...

    Plus you need a print processor at the width you want to use from your
    lightjet. 44 inch wet proceesors take even more room. if you are running a wide
    format lightjet or chromira most companies have factory trained technicians on
    them 24 hours a day.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Dec 25, 2004