    interpolation?

    Thanks.

    Ed

    Ed Wurster, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Ed Wurster

    Bob Williams Guest

    Ed Wurster wrote:
    > I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
    >
    > 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
    >
    > 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
    > Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
    > interpolation?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ed

    I have used "EZ Prints".
    They do excellent work at a very reasonable price.
    They also handle your prints like Gold.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Ed Wurster

    Rich Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:18:22 -0400, "Ed Wurster" <>
    wrote:

    >I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
    >
    >1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
    >
    >2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
    >Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
    >interpolation?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Ed

    You are pushing a 4 meg for this but doing it in Photoshop is ok.
    Experiment with different upsizing methods to see what looks best.
    Keep the dpi at 300. Expect a file around 100m in size. Might be
    best to error on the side or excess as far as colour saturation
    and contrast goes, and noise reduction via Neat Image or some other
    program will be important. Sharpness should be pretty high as well.
    A faster way to do it would be to crop a small section of image and
    try different combos on it. All this assumes you have the time,
    otherwise letting a printer do it might be better.
    -Rich

    Rich, Oct 16, 2005
  4. "Ed Wurster" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
    >
    > 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
    >
    > 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
    > Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
    > interpolation?

    I've had several posters made from 5mp images by http://www.clubphoto.com/.
    They do a great job. Using Photoshop Elements, I resized my images as much
    as I could without exceeding Clubphoto's 100mb file size limit

    Tony Whitaker, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Ed Wurster

    Guest

    I have been pleased with mpix.com

    Paul B.

    , Oct 16, 2005
  6. Ed Wurster

    l e o Guest

    Ed Wurster wrote:
    > I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
    >
    > 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
    >
    > 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
    > Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
    > interpolation?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ed

    Does Anybody have experience with Snapfish? Costco online uses it.

    l e o, Oct 16, 2005
  7. "l e o" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Wurster wrote:
    > Does Anybody have experience with Snapfish? Costco online uses it.

    I don't think they do poster size enlargments.

    Tony Whitaker, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Ed Wurster

    Conrad Guest

    Hi Leo,

    I've made 20x30's with Costco (on-line) made by Snapfish. Really nice
    job. Delivered in mailing tube for just $14.98! (That's the whole price
    for everything).

    Compared with same picture printed at Costco Warehouse (Bend, Oregon)
    12x18's ($2.99) and 20x30's look to have the same resolution in
    finished prints. Amazing.

    Costco on-line (Snapfish) also do 16x20's for $14.98 (complete price
    delivered to you).

    I generally pump these pics up in PS CS2 to 12x18 or 20x30 sizes using
    Canon Digital Rebel 350XT (8 megapixel sensor or Fuji S7000 (6
    megapixel sensor ---> or, Fuji's 12 megapixel interpolation) cameras.

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Ed Wurster

    bob Guest

    "Ed Wurster" <> wrote in news:ft6dnUl0beftF8_eRVn-
    :

    > 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
    > Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
    > interpolation?

    I would do it myself, unless I knew they would do a good job.

    We have a big printer at the office and I made some 36" prints for some guy
    from 100k .jpg images. I resampled them in Photoshop, and then changed the
    mode from RGB to Lab. In Lab mode can do all kinds of neat tricks, because
    you work with the two color channels seperate from the luminance channel.
    The color channels can be softened to reduce noticable artifacts, without
    altering the luminance, which we all know is the more important when it
    comes to perceptual sharpness.

    In the end, 36" prints from 100k jpgs don't look very good, but they looked
    much, much better than I expected them to.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Ed Wurster

    W (winhag) Guest

    MPIX.com does a very good job although not as cheap as some of the
    others mentioned below. Also, they have no file size limit.

    W (winhag), Oct 19, 2005