    L.D. Guest

    If this shows up I will repost
    L.D.
    L.D., Jul 20, 2007

  2. L.D.

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:45:34 GMT, "L.D." <>
    wrote:

    >If this shows up I will repost

    You know there ARE test groups for just this purpose?
    Evan Platt, Jul 21, 2007

  3. L.D.

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:45:34 GMT, L.D. wrote:

    >If this shows up I will repost
    >L.D.

    One can only hope not.

    Me
    why?, Jul 21, 2007
  4. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    Yes, I know there are test groups and my messages worked there and on
    other groups. I was testing this group which is the one I've had a post
    not show up on .

    NOW, since "One can only hope not", I won't.

    I have ask questions on this group for several years and have had a lot
    of good information given me that helped me out with my computer
    problems. With these 2 answers I'm not sure I would ever want to post
    here again.

    L.D.

    L.D., Jul 21, 2007
  5. L.D. wrote:

    > Yes, I know there are test groups and my messages worked there and on
    > other groups. I was testing this group which is the one I've had a post
    > not show up on .
    >
    > NOW, since "One can only hope not", I won't.
    >
    > I have ask questions on this group for several years and have had a lot
    > of good information given me that helped me out with my computer
    > problems. With these 2 answers I'm not sure I would ever want to post
    > here again.

    Yes, it's true you need a thick skin to use newsgroups. But when *you*
    goof up and post a test message don't expect to get love letters in return.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007
  6. L.D. wrote:

    > Yes, I know there are test groups and my messages worked there and on
    > other groups. I was testing this group which is the one I've had a
    > post not show up on .

    Are you referring to your starting threads with the subject of "Computer
    locks up" three times in the last month? Each about a week apart?

    You have answers for all of those posts, so obviously they showed up.

    > NOW, since "One can only hope not", I won't.

    That answer is solely because you posted a 'test' message to a non-test
    group.

    > I have ask questions on this group for several years and have had a
    > lot of good information given me that helped me out with my computer
    > problems. With these 2 answers I'm not sure I would ever want to post
    > here again.

    Did you solve your "Computer locks up" problem? <g>

    BTW, please do not top-post in your replies. This is Usenet, not email.
    Carefully trim the quoted material and post replies inline, such as I
    have done here. Thanks for your consideration.
    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#upside

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2007
  7. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    Yes, I did post about a month ago about it locking up on a bank site and
    it stopped for a while. It has started again but it might do it on any site.

    I posted the following message 2 times several days ago which never
    showed up, at least on my computer. How can I test to see if my message
    comes to this group without posting a test to it?. What do you mean by
    trimming. I will delete all the quoted part and hope that is what you mean.

    Anyway the following is the post that didn't show

    I have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with 1024 mb ram and connected with
    internet wireless with 2 other computers. It has Windows vista basic. It
    has started locking up. There is no pattern, some time after using a
    minute or two, sometime after and hour or so and other time not at all.
    Sometime you can hardly use it because it will lock up several times in
    10 minutes. There is no error message. It just locks up and only thing
    you can do is turn it off with off button. I have looked in event log
    but I don't understand that. I have cleared cache, temp. internet files,
    and cookies and that hasn't helped.. Any simple ideas will be appreciated.

    Sorry I didn't do the post right. In the several years I've been doing
    it I have never been told not to do it that way. As a matter of fact I
    am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on top so anyone wouldn't
    have to read through everything to get to the post on the bottom. Maybe
    I am not remembering right.

    L.D.
    L.D., Jul 21, 2007
  8. L.D. wrote:

    > Sorry I didn't do the post right. In the several years I've been doing
    > it I have never been told not to do it that way. As a matter of fact I
    > am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on top so anyone wouldn't
    > have to read through everything to get to the post on the bottom. Maybe
    > I am not remembering right.

    The common practice in this group for years has been top or bottom
    posting either way is okay. For a while top posting was encouraged
    because of a reg with vision problems had to wait for her voice software
    to read through all the old data to get to the new info. I've noticed
    lately that some people have started getting militant about demanding
    that people bottom post. Not sure where they got the authority to do that.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 21, 2007
  9. L.D. wrote:

    > I posted the following message 2 times several days ago which never
    > showed up, at least on my computer.

    I see three posts by you of the same subject, on June 30th, July 19th,
    and July 21st.

    > How can I test to see if my message comes to this group without
    > posting a test to it?.

    If you had posted your latest with a
    Subject: "Computer locks up - repost"
    and a body of "I've posted this before and it looks as if my posts
    aren't showing up. Can someone verify if they are?" ..then chances are
    nobody would have jumped on you.

    > What do you mean by trimming.

    Trimming is: editing out non-relevant parts of the quoted material,
    leaving only the concise parts you reply to, and then post your reply
    after each relevant bit, as I am doing here. "Inline."

    > I will delete all the quoted part and hope that is what you mean.

    No, that is not it. The reason for not completely removing the quoted
    material is that your reply may arrive on others' news servers before
    the message you replied to, and thus having us guess about what you
    mean.

    > Anyway the following is the post that didn't show

    ...but it did show across Usenet. There may have been a problem with your
    newsreader. Did you have yourself filtered out? (It's been done before.)

    <snip your repost>

    > Sorry I didn't do the post right. In the several years I've been doing
    > it I have never been told not to do it that way.

    Consider that if I had written all of my comments in this message at the
    top of my reply, or all at the bottom of my reply, how it would be more
    difficult to follow what I was writing and replying to. You've made
    numerous points, and I have addressed them directly after each point.

    > As a matter of fact I am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on
    > top so anyone wouldn't have to read through everything to get to the
    > post on the bottom. Maybe I am not remembering right.

    Sure, but I'd suggest those folks were not astute /inline/ posters. <g>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 21, 2007
  10. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > L.D. wrote:
    >
    >> I posted the following message 2 times several days ago which never
    >> showed up, at least on my computer.

    > I see three posts by you of the same subject, on June 30th, July 19th,
    > and July 21st.

    They go back to June 20th:

    <q>

    I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I have
    2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with my home
    network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time, never got
    on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any web site or
    for any other reason. What might be the problem?

    </q>

    It participated downthread as well; the thread contains 18 messages.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jul 21, 2007
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I see three posts by [L.D.] of the same subject, on June 30th, July
    >> 19th, and July 21st.

    > They go back to June 20th:

    Oh, yeah. I missed that one .. and even participated in it. <lol>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 22, 2007
  12. L.D.

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:14:18 GMT, L.D. wrote:

    >Yes, I know there are test groups and my messages worked there and on

    You didn't say that.

    >other groups. I was testing this group which is the one I've had a post

    So you say that.

    Since your other posts appeared in 24HSHD you start your tests at your
    end, check with the ISP/usenet provider about propagation errors. Check
    Google groups.

    Computer locks up Group: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    LD 24hoursupport helpdesk I have an Acer 5100 with
    vista
    and 1024 ram and use it wireless with a netgear 614 router. I am using
    Seamonkey
    browser.It is less than 3 months old. It has started locking up, no
    pattern, some
    time after only a few min. of surfing and some time not at all. ...
    Jul 11 by L.D.

    Which you also made repeated posts
    Just a question Group: alt.internet.wireless
    LD alt internet wireless I have 3 computers
    networked
    wireless. Every once in a while they can't find the network. I can
    connect the
    one close to the router wired to the router and then it and the other 2
    wireless
    can find the network. I unplug the wire from that one and then all three
    will ...
    Jun 24 by L.D.

    Computer locks up Group: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    LD 24hoursupport helpdesk OK, I am now on the
    laptop and used
    Internet Explorer and got on the page OK. Then went to Seamonkey and
    ,guess what,
    got on ok. I had tried at least 7 or 8 times over a 3 day period with no
    success.
    The site is http://www.texaspremier.com/ I hope it will continue to ...
    Jun 21 by L.D.

    Saw that posts, in other groups.

    how to open large window Group: netscape.public.mozilla.browser
    netscape public mozilla browser Yes, it worked.
    Thanks very
    much. LD Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    wrote: I have
    an Acer laptop with seamonkey. Seamonkey just started opening in a small
    window.
    How do I get it to open in a big window again. ...
    Jul 12 by - 3 messages - 2 authors

    repeated posts,

    How to open Seamonkey in large window Group:
    mozilla.support.seamonkey
    mozilla support seamonkey I have an Acer laptop
    with seamonkey.
    Seamonkey just started opening in a small window. How do I get it to
    open in a big
    window again. I read one place to maximize then close with the file
    close menu.
    That didn't work. Also it used to bring up Google when I pushed the ...
    Jul 12 by

    how to open large window Group: netscape.public.mozilla.browser
    netscape public mozilla browser I have an Acer
    laptop with
    seamonkey. Seamonkey just started opening in a small window. How do I
    get it to
    open in a big window again. I read one place to maximize then close with
    the file
    close menu. That didn't work. LD.
    Jul 12 by - 3 messages - 2 authors

    Basically the same 3 questions in 7 different groups, changing the
    subjet which makes it hard to follow any question and replies.

    >not show up on .
    >
    >NOW, since "One can only hope not", I won't.
    >
    >I have ask questions on this group for several years and have had a lot
    >of good information given me that helped me out with my computer
    >problems. With these 2 answers I'm not sure I would ever want to post
    >here again.
    >
    >L.D.
    >
    >why? wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:45:34 GMT, L.D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> If this shows up I will repost
    >>> L.D.

    >> One can only hope not.
    >>
    >> Me

    Me
    why?, Jul 22, 2007
  13. L.D.

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:00:12 GMT, L.D. wrote:

    >Yes, I did post about a month ago about it locking up on a bank site and
    >it stopped for a while. It has started again but it might do it on any site.
    >
    > I posted the following message 2 times several days ago which never
    >showed up, at least on my computer. How can I test to see if my message

    So what if it didn't show on your computer? There is your PC/Usenet
    provider / Google before you see the post. Then the return path.

    You didn't say if the post left your PC, got to you ISP/Usenet provider
    internal newsserver first. If it did then you check another usenet
    provider or Google Groups. If it's on your usenet server but not google
    then you tell your usenet provider / check the status page.

    Since the test post worked it may have been a glitch at the usenet
    provider. If you compare Google Groups to your or another usenet server
    you may see an obvious gap in posts. Hence asking your provider.

    For most groups
    http://groups.google.com/
    for 24HSHD

    >comes to this group without posting a test to it?. What do you mean by

    Find out what's wrong first.

    >trimming. I will delete all the quoted part and hope that is what you mean.

    Not all, and you say you have been posting for years. It's the not
    relevant / bits you don't reply to that are snipped.

    >Anyway the following is the post that didn't show

    You are doing it agin, mixing up a post about testing / posting with the
    problem.

    >I have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with 1024 mb ram and connected with

    <snip>
    Computer locks up Group: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    LD 24hoursupport helpdesk I have an Acer 5100 with
    vista
    and 1024 ram and use it wireless with a netgear 614 router. I am using
    Seamonkey
    browser.It is less than 3 months old. It has started locking up, no
    pattern, some
    time after only a few min. of surfing and some time not at all. ...
    Jul 11 by L.D.

    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...5c72efd38bf?lnk=st&q=&rnum=4#72f925c72efd38bf
    or shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3azkcr

    >Sorry I didn't do the post right. In the several years I've been doing

    You look at posts in a group and get a feel for things, different groups
    don't work all the same.

    >it I have never been told not to do it that way. As a matter of fact I
    >am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on top so anyone wouldn't

    Maybe in some cases, however consider any reply at the top is disjointed
    from any question / reply further down.

    >have to read through everything to get to the post on the bottom. Maybe
    >I am not remembering right.

    Different for different groups.

    >L.D.

    Me
    why?, Jul 22, 2007
  14. L.D.

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:14:18 +0000, L.D. wrote:

    > I have ask questions on this group for several years and have had a lot
    > of good information given me that helped me out with my computer
    > problems. With these 2 answers I'm not sure I would ever want to post
    > here again.

    Sounds good. Buh-bye.

    Dan C, Jul 22, 2007
  15. L.D.

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:00:12 +0000, L.D. wrote:

    <snip>

    > am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on top so anyone wouldn't
    > have to read through everything to get to the post on the bottom. Maybe
    > I am not remembering right.

    .....or maybe..... you're just stupid.

    Dan C, Jul 22, 2007
  16. L.D.

    L.D. Guest

    Gosh, you guys have sure gone to a lots of trouble to go back and find
    my old posts. You can see that I have ask questions and got answers that
    fix my problems on wireless networking and window oping up small and
    others. I got good answers and no haggled. Some of you have top posted,
    bottom posted, trimmed, not trimmed, you don't even follow your own
    rules. You even went into detail on how I could have found out why my
    posts didn't show even though I hadn't why it didn't show. If I knew all
    that much about computers, I wouldn't need to come to a group to ask
    questions. Yes, I did delete temp. internet files and no I don't use IE,
    except to delete the files. I didn't have any idea those files had
    nothing to do with Seamonkey.If you had spent as much time trying to
    help my latest problem as you have going over my old posts, my problem
    might have been fixed. If not, I would at least had respect in your efforts.
    L.D.
    L.D., Jul 22, 2007
  17. L.D.

    Guest

    "L.D." <> wrote:

    >Gosh, you guys have sure gone to a lots of trouble to go back and find
    >my old posts. You can see that I have ask questions and got answers that
    >fix my problems on wireless networking and window oping up small and
    >others. I got good answers and no haggled. Some of you have top posted,
    >bottom posted, trimmed, not trimmed, you don't even follow your own
    >rules. You even went into detail on how I could have found out why my
    >posts didn't show even though I hadn't why it didn't show. If I knew all
    >that much about computers, I wouldn't need to come to a group to ask
    >questions. Yes, I did delete temp. internet files and no I don't use IE,
    >except to delete the files. I didn't have any idea those files had
    >nothing to do with Seamonkey.If you had spent as much time trying to
    >help my latest problem as you have going over my old posts, my problem
    >might have been fixed. If not, I would at least had respect in your efforts.
    >L.D.

    Just the way it works...

    I haven't been following your adventure, but if you can't seem to fix
    the problem you might want to do a repair install

    Done right you will have replaced all missing files and nothing will
    change (profile wise- Your account will be unchanged).

    Back up your registry with ERUNT first, in case you don't like the
    results. http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    --
    Microsoft Sees Stronger XP Sales in FY08
    www.pcworld.com/article/id,134908-page,1/article.html
  18. L.D.

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:06:50 GMT, L.D. wrote:

    >Gosh, you guys have sure gone to a lots of trouble to go back and find

    It's not a lot of trouble, a couple of seconds. That's basically the
    point. You now know how to look in Google for posts.

    You are the only 1 that said the post wasn't on your computer. That of
    course means nothing. It's not on your computer -

    a) sent but not in your outbox, only you can tell.
    b) mistaken belief the ISP/Usenet server view means it's on your PC
    without downloading.
    c) It's arrived at the ISP/Usenet provider but you forgot to download
    current headers.
    d) othere reasons already mentioned.

    The post had to get at least that far (your Usenet service) , as it
    propogated to Google groups. Why you couldn't see it won't help by
    posting tests which did work as did the original in any case. Not only
    to Google groups but other usenet servers/ISPs.

    The post should have at least appeared on your Usenet server, which is
    easy for you to check via them.

    A test post would only have really been of use if you got the headers of
    the test and the message from another source and sent them both to your
    Usenet provider saying 1 worked 1 failed.

    <snip>
    >bottom posted, trimmed, not trimmed, you don't even follow your own
    >rules. You even went into detail on how I could have found out why my

    There isn't a moderator / FAQ for 24HSHD. You should know that by now.

    >posts didn't show even though I hadn't why it didn't show. If I knew all

    <snip>
    >help my latest problem as you have going over my old posts, my problem

    Isn't the test post you latest problem, it's a more recent date than the
    acer issue?

    >might have been fixed. If not, I would at least had respect in your efforts.
    >L.D.

    Me
    why?, Jul 22, 2007
  19. L.D.

    nobody > Guest

    L.D. wrote:

    > Sorry I didn't do the post right. In the several years I've been doing
    > it I have never been told not to do it that way. As a matter of fact I
    > am pretty sure I was told at one time to post on top so anyone wouldn't
    > have to read through everything to get to the post on the bottom. Maybe
    > I am not remembering right.
    >
    > L.D.

    The problem with your posts not showing up on *your* newsfeed may be real.

    75.18.102.229 is AT&T/"Prodigy" as your provider (although it could be
    something else on the bill). Most all of the inhouse newsfeeds from
    providers like Verizon/Cox/Comcast/AT&T/ etc have gone far downhill over
    the past few years. Some providers DO use a REAL newsfeed form outside,
    like Newsguy, Supernews, Giganews or others.

    I had the same problem when I used VeryStoned (Verizon) as newsfeed.
    About 3 of 10 of my posts seemed to vanish. I only knew they went thru
    when someone replied to them. No valid technical reason why, it just
    happened.

    "Happened" is the keyword. I went to Newsguy instead and have had one
    post disappear when they had a meltdown.

    As for your lockups..
    I suspect you have a hardware issue, possibly overheating. Are the
    cooling vents clear? Does the fan cycle on and off like normal? Does the
    bottom of the laptop seem hotter than normal? (Normal being 'how it was
    before this crap started') Try taping some new pencils carefully to the
    bottom as spacers to improve the airflow and see if that helps.
    nobody >, Jul 30, 2007