    installed and there have been other conflicts with different peripheral
    cards.

    What is the POST sequence for the Award bios.

    Mainlander, Oct 19, 2003

  2. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:30:45 +1300, Mainlander wrote:

    > I suspect it is a conflict with the CD rom drive

    So unplug it and see if the POST continues.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, alanb+google4
    @digistar.com says...
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:30:45 +1300, Mainlander wrote:
    >
    > > I suspect it is a conflict with the CD rom drive

    > So unplug it and see if the POST continues.

    Didn't make any difference, the next message that came up was "Primary
    hard disk fail".

    There have been instances of power up where the CD ROM couldn't work out
    what the disk in it was, so the system wouldn't power up.

    After a while I tried disabling the internal serial ports, and then it
    started working normally, with the ISA network card installed, and the CD
    ROM.

    But there has been a history of funny things with this Asus board,
    including the temperature sensors showing error messages and refusing to
    let the system start, until all the I/O cards were removed, and the
    parallel port not working properly (currently I use a parallel port
    card). Seen similar things on another different system with the same
    motherboard.

    There should be an error message if there are not any IRQs available to
    allocate to all devices.

    Mainlander, Oct 20, 2003