post retention time

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by davo, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. davo

    davo Guest

    I originally sent this to the Comcast ng, hope
    nobody gets annoyed, but Comcast group isn't very
    active, so now I'm here

    Comcast says retention time for text posts is 1150
    days. I've recently noticed that in at least 3
    groups, all posts prior to around May/June 2007 are
    gone---just disappeared. Yet some groups show pasts
    posts going back 3 years. The only thing in common
    with the groups that have had their posts disappear
    is
    Zero unread
    All read
    All downloaded
    Is there a way to retrieve these posts other than
    Unsubscribing, then resubscribing, then
    re-downloading months and months worth of past
    posts? Also, how can I get back my 1150 days of
    retention so this won't continue to happen? Under
    Tools>Options>Maintenance, all the boxes for
    "Cleaning Up Messages: are unchecked.

    It's odd that this has just started happening
    without me changing anything. I have Windows XP, SP
    2, OE6, Giganews is the newsreader Comcast uses
    Comcast told me to contact Giganews, Microsoft,
    repair and/or re-install OE and/or IE, then said
    get a new newsreader.

    Any help please? Thanks
    davo, Aug 26, 2007

  2. davo wrote:
    > I originally sent this to the Comcast ng, hope
    > nobody gets annoyed, but Comcast group isn't very
    > active, so now I'm here
    >
    > Comcast says retention time for text posts is 1150
    > days. I've recently noticed that in at least 3
    > groups, all posts prior to around May/June 2007 are
    > gone---just disappeared. Yet some groups show pasts
    > posts going back 3 years. The only thing in common
    > with the groups that have had their posts disappear
    > is
    > Zero unread
    > All read
    > All downloaded
    > Is there a way to retrieve these posts other than
    > Unsubscribing, then resubscribing, then
    > re-downloading months and months worth of past
    > posts? Also, how can I get back my 1150 days of
    > retention so this won't continue to happen? Under
    > Tools>Options>Maintenance, all the boxes for
    > "Cleaning Up Messages: are unchecked.
    >
    > It's odd that this has just started happening
    > without me changing anything. I have Windows XP, SP
    > 2, OE6, Giganews is the newsreader Comcast uses

    No, Giganews is a news server.

    > Comcast told me to contact Giganews, Microsoft,
    > repair and/or re-install OE and/or IE, then said
    > get a new newsreader.
    >
    > Any help please? Thanks

    Nope. Don't do OE. Good luck.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 26, 2007

  3. davo

    davo Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in
    message
    > davo wrote:
    >> I originally sent this to the Comcast ng, hope
    >> nobody gets annoyed, but Comcast group isn't
    >> very
    >> active, so now I'm here
    >>
    >> Comcast says retention time for text posts is
    >> 1150
    >> days. I've recently noticed that in at least 3
    >> groups, all posts prior to around May/June 2007
    >> are
    >> gone---just disappeared. Yet some groups show
    >> pasts
    >> posts going back 3 years. The only thing in
    >> common
    >> with the groups that have had their posts
    >> disappear
    >> is
    >> Zero unread
    >> All read
    >> All downloaded
    >> Is there a way to retrieve these posts other
    >> than
    >> Unsubscribing, then resubscribing, then
    >> re-downloading months and months worth of past
    >> posts? Also, how can I get back my 1150 days of
    >> retention so this won't continue to happen?
    >> Under
    >> Tools>Options>Maintenance, all the boxes for
    >> "Cleaning Up Messages: are unchecked.
    >>
    >> It's odd that this has just started happening
    >> without me changing anything. I have Windows XP,
    >> SP
    >> 2, OE6, Giganews is the newsreader Comcast uses

    > No, Giganews is a news server.
    >
    >> Comcast told me to contact Giganews, Microsoft,
    >> repair and/or re-install OE and/or IE, then said
    >> get a new newsreader.
    >>
    >> Any help please? Thanks

    > Nope. Don't do OE. Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky
    > RLU 297263

    You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it down
    to an OE problem. Well, that does help, I didn't
    know where to start. Thanks Blinky
    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  4. davo wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>> I originally sent this to the Comcast ng, hope nobody gets annoyed,
    >>> but Comcast group isn't very active, so now I'm here
    >>>
    >>> Comcast says retention time for text posts is 1150 days. I've
    >>> recently noticed that in at least 3 groups, all posts prior to
    >>> around May/June 2007 are gone---just disappeared. Yet some groups
    >>> show pasts posts going back 3 years. The only thing in common with
    >>> the groups that have had their posts disappear is Zero unread All
    >>> read All downloaded Is there a way to retrieve these posts other
    >>> than Unsubscribing, then resubscribing, then re-downloading months
    >>> and months worth of past posts? Also, how can I get back my 1150
    >>> days of retention so this won't continue to happen? Under
    >>> Tools>Options>Maintenance, all the boxes for "Cleaning Up Messages:
    >>> are unchecked.
    >>>
    >>> It's odd that this has just started happening without me changing
    >>> anything. I have Windows XP, SP 2, OE6, Giganews is the newsreader
    >>> Comcast uses

    >> No, Giganews is a news server.
    >>
    >>> Comcast told me to contact Giganews, Microsoft, repair and/or
    >>> re-install OE and/or IE, then said get a new newsreader.
    >>>
    >>> Any help please? Thanks

    >> Nope. Don't do OE. Good luck.
    >>
    >> -- Blinky RLU 297263
    >>

    > You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it down to an OE problem.
    > Well, that does help, I didn't know where to start. Thanks Blinky

    The obvious way to determine that for sure is to look at one of those
    groups with another client, davo.

    Or I suppose you could telnet directly into the server and see what's
    there for one of them.

    What's one of the groups?

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 26, 2007
  5. davo

    davo Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in
    message
    > davo wrote:
    >>
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    >> in message

    >>> No, Giganews is a news server.

    >>> Nope. Don't do OE. Good luck.
    >>>
    >>> -- Blinky RLU 297263
    >>>

    >> You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it
    >> down to an OE problem.
    >> Well, that does help, I didn't know where to
    >> start. Thanks Blinky

    > The obvious way to determine that for sure is to
    > look at one of those
    > groups with another client, davo.
    >
    > Or I suppose you could telnet directly into the
    > server and see what's
    > there for one of them.
    >
    > What's one of the groups?
    >

    > --
    > Blinky

    Yea, that makes sense, try another client. But the
    posts are already gone, so even with a new client
    I'd have to wait a while to see when the posts
    start dropping off, or if they do.
    Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for
    almost 3 years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are
    gone. You know, it's not a huge deal, I mean, if I
    needed to see something in an old post, I could
    Google (aaaaaaacccckkkk!!!!!), but really, now I'm
    mostly just curious . Thanks again

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  6. davo

    davo Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in
    message
    > davo wrote:
    >>
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    >> in message

    >>> No, Giganews is a news server.

    >>> Nope. Don't do OE. Good luck.
    >>>
    >>> -- Blinky RLU 297263
    >>>

    >> You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it
    >> down to an OE problem.
    >> Well, that does help, I didn't know where to
    >> start. Thanks Blinky

    > The obvious way to determine that for sure is to
    > look at one of those
    > groups with another client, davo.
    >
    > Or I suppose you could telnet directly into the
    > server and see what's
    > there for one of them.
    >
    > What's one of the groups?
    >

    > --
    > Blinky

    Hey Blinky, even this group shows no posts prior to
    5/5/07---impossible!
    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  7. davo

    Vanguard Guest

    "davo" wrote in message
    > I originally sent this to the Comcast ng, hope nobody gets annoyed,
    > but Comcast group isn't very active, so now I'm here
    >
    > Comcast says retention time for text posts is 1150
    > days. I've recently noticed that in at least 3
    > groups, all posts prior to around May/June 2007 are
    > gone---just disappeared. Yet some groups show pasts
    > posts going back 3 years. The only thing in common
    > with the groups that have had their posts disappear
    > is
    > Zero unread
    > All read
    > All downloaded
    > Is there a way to retrieve these posts other than
    > Unsubscribing, then resubscribing, then
    > re-downloading months and months worth of past
    > posts? Also, how can I get back my 1150 days of
    > retention so this won't continue to happen? Under
    > Tools>Options>Maintenance, all the boxes for
    > "Cleaning Up Messages: are unchecked.
    >
    > It's odd that this has just started happening
    > without me changing anything. I have Windows XP, SP
    > 2, OE6, Giganews is the newsreader Comcast uses
    > Comcast told me to contact Giganews, Microsoft,
    > repair and/or re-install OE and/or IE, then said
    > get a new newsreader.

    Comcast contracts with GigaNews to provide their NNTP service. You
    need to look at GigaNews' web site to find their retention times. The
    long retention time you mention is probably just for text-only
    newsgroups. Binary groups get flushed more often; i.e., the binary
    groups have a far shorter expiration due to the size of those posts
    (the consumption of disk space for text-only newsgroups is tiny
    compared to all the, um, "stuff" in binary newsgroups). You never
    bothered to mention WHICH newsgroups you thought there was a problem,
    so I'm guessing they are binary groups and also guessing why you don't
    want to reveal them (sidelook wink-wink, muffled cough-cough).

    Read the Help/FAQ page at Giganews. It says, "~160 days of binary
    newsgroups retention, 1525+ days of text newsgroups retention". Not
    1150 days for text-only newsgroups. 1525+ days (the overage is due to
    how many posts show up before they run their trim function). And
    binary posts only hang around 160 days. That's their intended
    retention intervals. If there were a deluge of binary posts that were
    exhausting their storage capacity, they'd have to temporarily reduce
    those retentions.

    In OE, right-click on the subscribed newsgroup, Properties, Local File
    tab, click Reset. Now you will get to redownload all the posts again
    as if you just freshly subscribed to that newsgroup. If the old posts
    aren't there then they have already expired. GigaNews does not honor
    cancel requests (so you nor anyone else pretending to be you can get
    rid of your posts on *that* NNTP server) so if they are not shown then
    either they were never there, your message index is screwed up in your
    local NNTP client (and why I said to reset the message list), or
    they've expired already.

    Why would you bother to download "months and months of past posts"?
    You actually have nothing better to do than read ancient posts which
    are probably not applicable anymore (i.e., that discussion is dead)?
    Set OE to download only some max number of posts, like 300 or 1000,
    and when done reading those then right-click on the newsgroup and
    select Catch Up. Now when you revisit the newsgroup, just the newest
    posts show up as unread.
    Vanguard, Aug 26, 2007
  8. davo

    davo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > you just freshly subscribed to that newsgroup.
    > If the old posts aren't there then they have
    > already expired. GigaNews does not honor cancel
    > requests (so you nor anyone else pretending to be
    > you can get rid of your posts on *that* NNTP
    > server) so if they are not shown then either they
    > were never there, your message index is screwed
    > up in your local NNTP client (and why I said to
    > reset the message list), or they've expired
    > already.
    >
    > Why would you bother to download "months and
    > months of past posts"? You actually have nothing
    > better to do than read ancient posts which are
    > probably not applicable anymore (i.e., that
    > discussion is dead)? Set OE to download only some
    > max number of posts, like 300 or 1000, and when
    > done reading those then right-click on the
    > newsgroup and select Catch Up. Now when you
    > revisit the newsgroup, just the newest posts show

    Hi, the retention time of 1150 was for text, not
    binaries, but this info was from Comcast.Samples of
    ng alt.support.diabetes,
    alt.penpals-forty-plus-years, and this very ng, no
    binary groups. And you're saying Giga retains for
    1525 days of text--that's all I use.
    I may be wrong, but it sounds like you think I'm
    doing something not quite right. I've done as you
    saaid & reset the list, in this case for
    alt.support.diabetes, and it appears the old
    messages are there, I just have to re-download them
    all, which I don't wasnt to take the time to do.
    I really don't care about old posts, it's just that
    now I'm only retaining 2 months worth of posts,
    although I KNOW there were over 2 years of posts a
    few weeks ago. I just want to know what happened, I
    don't care about the posts. How do I know if my
    message index is screwed up? As you';ve guessed,
    I'm not very computer literate.

    I'm only asking because I'm curious, since
    *something* has changed without me changing it.
    Hope I'm making sense. Thanks

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  9. davo

    Vanguard Guest

    "davo" wrote in message

    > even this group shows no posts prior to 5/5/07---impossible!

    Using a rule that deletes (locally only) messages older than N days
    (where, in this case, N looks to be around 112 days)?

    Or maybe you are using a customized view to eliminate *seeing* posts
    that are more than around 112 days old.

    Is OE configured to download only 300 (or some other number up to a
    max of 1000) messages? Maybe that takes you back to that date.
    You'll have to unselect that "Get N headers at a time" option; else,
    you have to repeatedly use the "Tools -> Get next N headers" menu
    repeatedly until there are no more to retrieve.
    Vanguard, Aug 26, 2007
  10. davo

    davo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "davo" wrote in message
    >>
    >> even this group shows no posts prior to
    >> 5/5/07---impossible!

    > Using a rule that deletes (locally only) messages
    > older than N days (where, in this case, N looks
    > to be around 112 days)?
    >
    > Or maybe you are using a customized view to
    > eliminate *seeing* posts that are more than
    > around 112 days old.
    >
    > Is OE configured to download only 300 (or some
    > other number up to a max of 1000) messages?
    > Maybe that takes you back to that date. You'll
    > have to unselect that "Get N headers at a time"
    > option; else, you have to repeatedly use the
    > "Tools -> Get next N headers" menu repeatedly
    > until there are no more to retrieve.

    No, that's the thing, I haven't changed anything,
    no customized views limiting seeing older posts, OE
    is config to download 1000, and once I get to
    5/12./07 in this very group, there are no more left
    to download
    Like I said, I'm just wondering why this has
    changed when I've done nothing to change it

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  11. davo

    Vanguard Guest

    "davo" wrote in message
    > I really don't care about old posts, it's just that now I'm only
    > retaining 2 months worth of posts,

    Note that NNTP clients, like OE, will synchronize with the NNTP
    server. When they connect, if the old post is no longer available on
    the server then they are also no longer available in your local NNTP
    client. If you try to reaccess the old but now purged post, a red
    line shows through the Subject and you see in the body that the
    message is no longer available. If you want to keep posts around
    longer and not have them subject to deletion due to synchronization
    then you need to move them out of the newsgroup to which you
    subscribed. I don't archive old newsgroup posts but some other users
    do and can help on how to do it.

    See my other post on some other possibilities (although if you reset
    the group then they may not apply for awhile longer from now). One
    way would be to create a new folder under your local message store
    (i.e., under the "Local folders" tree) and drag the selected posts
    from newsgroups into that folder. I suspect the posts over there
    won't be subject to syncrhonization to the NNTP server. If you are
    trying to archive from multiple newsgroups then you probably want to
    use subfolders under this "Archive" folder to keep them organized.
    Vanguard, Aug 26, 2007
  12. davo

    Vanguard Guest

    "davo" wrote in message

    > No, that's the thing, I haven't changed anything, no customized
    > views limiting seeing older posts, OE is config to download 1000,
    > and once I get to 5/12./07 in this very group, there are no more
    > left to download
    > Like I said, I'm just wondering why this has changed when I've done
    > nothing to change it

    I've noticed since yesterday that there have been some connection
    problems with Comcast's contracted newsgroups service (GigaNews).
    Although GigaNews is the actual NSP and despite that Giganews owns the
    boundary host used by Comcast, it is still up to Comcast to manage
    that boundary host. Since last night, I'd get connected, worked for
    awhile, then couldn't connect for awhile (so I went off to
    msnews.microsoft.com), then it would connect, then not, and so on.
    That in itself is not a sure indicator of NSP problems since Comcast
    has always had a load problem on that boundary host (if too many
    connection requests come in then they get rejected without a
    reasonable error comment - and it happens too often for Comcast
    newsgroups). Could be Comcast or Giganews are doing some
    "maintenance" or recovery. Since it just happened, you might have to
    wait a few days for it to unhappen.

    Unless you archive the posts yourself, I wouldn't rely on the NSP to
    do it for you. I don't bother with (and also delete the local copy
    of) posts over 5 days old so there isn't much retention that I would
    need, anyway.
    Vanguard, Aug 26, 2007
  13. davo

    davo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "davo" wrote in message
    >> I really don't care about old posts, it's just
    >> that now I'm only retaining 2 months worth of
    >> posts,

    > Note that NNTP clients, like OE, will synchronize
    > with the NNTP server. When they connect, if the
    > old post is no longer available on the server
    > then they are also no longer available in your
    > local NNTP client. If you try to reaccess the
    > old but now purged post, a red line shows through
    > the Subject and you see in the body that the
    > message is no longer available. If you want to
    > keep posts around longer and not have them
    > subject to deletion due to synchronization then
    > you need to move them out of the newsgroup to
    > which you subscribed. I don't archive old
    > newsgroup posts but some other users do and can
    > help on how to do it.
    >
    > See my other post on some other possibilities
    > (although if you reset the group then they may
    > not apply for awhile longer from now). One way
    > would be to create a new folder under your local
    > message store (i.e., under the "Local folders"
    > tree) and drag the selected posts from newsgroups
    > into that folder. I suspect the posts over there
    > won't be subject to syncrhonization to the NNTP
    > server. If you are trying to archive from
    > multiple newsgroups then you probably want to use
    > subfolders under this "Archive" folder to keep
    > them organized.

    I'm not getting any notations like a red line
    through the Subject. And I'm sorry, it's not your
    job to teach me, but I don't understand the NNTP
    issue---but would you agree that only 2 months
    retention would indicate that something's wrong?
    Why would a post only 2 months old not be available
    in my local NNTP client? I understand about moving
    posts that I want to save, but again, I'm just
    trying to find a reason for this happening, and
    *maybe*
    how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but I'd
    just like to have the *ability* to see a post from
    March 2007, as an example

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  14. davo

    davo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "davo" wrote in message
    >>
    >> No, that's the thing, I haven't changed
    >> anything, no customized views limiting seeing
    >> older posts, OE is config to download 1000, and
    >> once I get to 5/12./07 in this very group, there
    >> are no more left to download
    >> Like I said, I'm just wondering why this has
    >> changed when I've done nothing to change it

    > I've noticed since yesterday that there have been
    > some connection problems with Comcast's
    > contracted newsgroups service (GigaNews).
    > Although GigaNews is the actual NSP and despite
    > that Giganews owns the boundary host used by
    > Comcast, it is still up to Comcast to manage that
    > boundary host. Since last night, I'd get
    > connected, worked for awhile, then couldn't
    > connect for awhile (so I went off to
    > msnews.microsoft.com), then it would connect,
    > then not, and so on. That in itself is not a sure
    > indicator of NSP problems since Comcast has
    > always had a load problem on that boundary host
    > (if too many connection requests come in then
    > they get rejected without a reasonable error
    > comment - and it happens too often for Comcast
    > newsgroups). Could be Comcast or Giganews are
    > doing some "maintenance" or recovery. Since it
    > just happened, you might have to wait a few days
    > for it to unhappen.
    >
    > Unless you archive the posts yourself, I wouldn't
    > rely on the NSP to do it for you. I don't bother
    > with (and also delete the local copy of) posts
    > over 5 days old so there isn't much retention
    > that I would need, anyway.

    Ok, *that's* what I'm talkin about! I wondered all
    along if it was a Gigi problem, but in the past,
    having always had Comcast & I know their reputation
    for screw ups and no answers, I've just been trying
    to narrow down where the change originated from. As
    you said, I also don't need much retention, I just
    hate it when something changes and I don't know
    why. If CC and/or Gigi might be "working on it "
    (yea, right), I'll take your advise and see what,
    if anything, happens in the next few days.
    Thank you for taking the time to address what
    really isn't a problem, just a curiosity (although
    I *still* want to know what happened, dammit!!) I
    hope you're right, cause I'll go crazy--for a
    while-- trying to figure it out! Thanks again---if
    you think of anything else, pass it on

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  15. davo

    Vanguard Guest

    "davo" wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Why would a post only 2 months old not be available in my local NNTP
    > client? I understand about moving posts that I want to save, but
    > again, I'm just trying to find a reason for this happening, and
    > *maybe*
    > how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but I'd just like to have
    > the *ability* to see a post from March 2007, as an example

    You could call Comcast or use their chat support but I already know
    their answer: contact GigaNews. Done that, been there. GigaNews will
    usually reply to contact Comcast. Sometimes they surprise you. Maybe
    today GigaNews might answer a question. They would know best if there
    are problems with their service.

    http://www.giganews.com/contact.html

    Make sure to tell them that you are a Comcast customer but that
    Comcast cannot or refuses to resolve your problem because the issue
    with GigaNews' own service, not with Comcast's interface to it.
    Vanguard, Aug 26, 2007
  16. davo

    davo Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "davo" wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> Why would a post only 2 months old not be
    >> available in my local NNTP client? I understand
    >> about moving posts that I want to save, but
    >> again, I'm just trying to find a reason for this
    >> happening, and *maybe*
    >> how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but
    >> I'd just like to have the *ability* to see a
    >> post from March 2007, as an example

    > You could call Comcast or use their chat support
    > but I already know their answer: contact
    > GigaNews. Done that, been there. GigaNews will
    > usually reply to contact Comcast. Sometimes they
    > surprise you. Maybe today GigaNews might answer
    > a question. They would know best if there are
    > problems with their service.
    >
    > http://www.giganews.com/contact.html
    >
    > Make sure to tell them that you are a Comcast
    > customer but that Comcast cannot or refuses to
    > resolve your problem because the issue with
    > GigaNews' own service, not with Comcast's
    > interface to it.

    Yea, I did the chat thing with comcast today and of
    course they did refer me to Giga, MS, etc, then
    just told me to get a new news server. If I do try
    to contact Giga, would I not need some kind of
    logon info or user ID? I don't have anything like
    that---or are you saying I might actually get to
    talk to a real person? I will definitely give that
    a try. Thanks again so much

    davo, Aug 26, 2007
  17. davo wrote:

    > ... Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for almost 3
    > years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are gone.

    I just looked at my primary newsserver (AT&T Worldnet, not outsourced)
    and found 30,512 posts for alt.support diabetes, going back to April 26,
    2007. I also checked that group on my alternate newsserver (RoadRunner,
    outsourced) and there are 69,842 posts back to October 16, 2006.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 26, 2007
  18. "davo" <> wrote in

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in
    > message
    >> davo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    >>> in message

    >>> You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it
    >>> down to an OE problem.
    >>> Well, that does help, I didn't know where to
    >>> start. Thanks Blinky

    >> The obvious way to determine that for sure is to
    >> look at one of those
    >> groups with another client, davo.
    >>
    >> Or I suppose you could telnet directly into the
    >> server and see what's
    >> there for one of them.
    >>
    >> What's one of the groups?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Blinky

    > Yea, that makes sense, try another client. But the
    > posts are already gone

    How do you know that, if the problem is with the client? Just
    because you can't see them,it doesn't follow that they are gone.

    That's why you were asked about a specific group. Those of us
    accessing the same server can tell you the actual message count.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    The mutant alien skull man has a smile for all smiles, an answer
    for all answers.
    Christopher Jahn, Aug 26, 2007
  19. davo wrote:

    > Yea, that makes sense, try another client. But the
    > posts are already gone, so even with a new client
    > I'd have to wait a while to see when the posts
    > start dropping off, or if they do.
    > Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for
    > almost 3 years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are
    > gone. You know, it's not a huge deal, I mean, if I

    The oldest posts at netnews.comcast.net for alt.support.diabetes are
    from November 5, **2004**. Here's the oldest one I just got from that
    server (not from Google or another archive). From the server.

    <q>

    From: URAQT2 <>
    Newsgroups: alt.support.diabetes
    Subject: Re: The election is over
    Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:00:32 GMT

    Guy wrote:
    > Really related to diabetes not OT^
    >
    > The election has been settled and we will live with the
    > results. We will still have the free loaders hustling
    > us in all aspects of life.
    >
    > BUT, you still have diabetes and it will be the big
    > issue for you later. The election will be forgotten.

    Will it? The 2000 election certainly has not and will not be forgotten.

    > Health care will be the big issue. But because it is
    > a gross economic burden, t he problems it will
    > bring will not be minor.
    >
    > Problems will come because you are indulging in fads,
    > excuses, and using this group as your baby setter.
    >
    > The election was settled by moral and religious
    > issues. Might be a lesson to some. We will never
    > win the diabetes game with politics and religious
    > evangelism. Others in their selfish pursuits will
    > always get a reaction they do not like.
    >
    > There is a real world.
    > .
    > Non diabetics that have no vested interest in diabetes
    > should get the hell out of here. You are very
    > sick and do not understand the harm you are doing
    > to diabetics.

    Thank you for an excellent post Guy.
    As usual you show the wisdom of your years.

    --
    Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    "Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt,
    kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to
    evaporate."
    - Albert Schweitzer

    </q>

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 26, 2007
  20. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > davo wrote:
    >
    >> ... Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for almost 3
    >> years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are gone.

    > I just looked at my primary newsserver (AT&T Worldnet, not outsourced)
    > and found 30,512 posts for alt.support diabetes, going back to April 26,
    > 2007. I also checked that group on my alternate newsserver (RoadRunner,
    > outsourced) and there are 69,842 posts back to October 16, 2006.

    I just telnetted into *his* server, and found stuff going back to
    Novembner 2004. See my reply to him.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 26, 2007