Post Installation Hang

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=, May 14, 2006.

  1. After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
    trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to install
    like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
    tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo screen.
    If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same place
    every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and it
    reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem occurs. I
    hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go back to
    32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.

    System Info:

    AMD Athlon64 3200+
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS
    2x1024 GeiL DDR400
    2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)

    I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
    64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half way
    point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the install is
    complete that it fails to load.

    Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=, May 14, 2006

  2. Hi,

    If you have any devices such as Printers, scanners, external drives or usb
    devices attached when XP x64 is booting, remove them and try booting up
    again. You might want to check out a recent post by Martin Racette -
    Installation Problem, some suggestions were made by Carlos about things you
    can do in such a situation. :)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 14, 2006

  3. ok I've removed all the cards from the pci slots, unhooked the third sata
    storage drive and the problem persists. theres nothing else plugged into the
    machine except a keyboard/mouse/monitor so i don't expect that to be the
    problem. I've also re-installed again just to be certain, but no joy. The
    machine actually hangs with the following error if anyone knows how to
    interpret it:

    0x0000007b (0xFFFFFADFC8C0F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000,
    0x0000000000000000)

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=, May 14, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=

    Jane Colman Guest

    Jane Colman, May 14, 2006
  5. 0x7b - inaccessible boot device. There can be a number of causes, but the
    most common one is a bad F6 driver.

    And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
    setup, and why you care:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 14, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=

    RonK Guest

    Have you set the boot order and priority in the bios settings ?
    Are you using the nvidia or sil raid ?
    Set the bios boot order accordingly.

    Check pages 3 to 10 in the Raid section of the motherboard manual.

    RonK, May 14, 2006
  7. Thanks everyone I got it working. I finally gave up on the onboard raid
    chipset. I think you were right about the driver being the problem. I tried
    drivers from 3 different sources and had no luck. I ended up using the Sil
    raid card instead and was up and running next time around. Unsure why the
    nvidia drivers wouldn't take, but at least its working now. Excellent help
    everyone. Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=, May 14, 2006