    I rebuilt his PC only a couple of months ago because he'd buggered up the
    registry so I don't want to have to do it again :(

    Any help gratefully received,

    Harry The Horse, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Harry The Horse

    Don Guest

    "Harry The Horse" <> wrote in message
    news:Xu5dd.1460738$...
    > The home desktop of a friend of mine appears to have been affected by a
    > Trojan but I am at a loss as to what to do to help him. He is running W2K
    > SP4, McAfee
    > Viruscan 7.1 and Zone Alarm Pro. A few days ago, he went to a web site
    > and
    > his virus checker reported that it had deleted a trojan call something
    > like
    > 'exploit dialog ARG'. Since then, his PC runs like a slug and the start
    > menu has nearly all its entries gone. If you browse with explorer to
    > "documents and settings/all users/start menu" it comes back eventually
    > with
    > the error "error performing inpage operation". A virus scan reports no
    > problem.
    >
    > My guess is that the trojan has installed itself in 'start menu' some
    > where
    > and then made the folder inaccessible. Anyone seen anything like this
    > before?
    >
    > I rebuilt his PC only a couple of months ago because he'd buggered up the
    > registry so I don't want to have to do it again :(
    >
    > Any help gratefully received,

    It sounds a right mess. Back up all remaining required data. Format the hard
    drive and re install. Put his data back and give him and charge him for
    doing it. The fee will do more than any firewall to keep his machine free of
    rubbish.

    Don, Oct 19, 2004

  3. "Don" <mailto:> wrote in message

    > "Harry The Horse" <> wrote in message
    > > The home desktop of a friend of mine appears to have been affected by a
    > > Trojan but I am at a loss as to what to do to help him. He is running

    W2K
    > > SP4, McAfee
    > > Viruscan 7.1 and Zone Alarm Pro. A few days ago, he went to a web site
    > > and
    > > his virus checker reported that it had deleted a trojan call something
    > > like
    > > 'exploit dialog ARG'. Since then, his PC runs like a slug and the start
    > > menu has nearly all its entries gone. If you browse with explorer to
    > > "documents and settings/all users/start menu" it comes back eventually
    > > with
    > > the error "error performing inpage operation". A virus scan reports no
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > My guess is that the trojan has installed itself in 'start menu' some
    > > where
    > > and then made the folder inaccessible. Anyone seen anything like this
    > > before?
    > >
    > > I rebuilt his PC only a couple of months ago because he'd buggered up

    the
    > > registry so I don't want to have to do it again :(
    > >
    > > Any help gratefully received,
    > >

    > It sounds a right mess. Back up all remaining required data. Format the

    hard
    > drive and re install. Put his data back and give him and charge him for
    > doing it. The fee will do more than any firewall to keep his machine free

    of
    > rubbish.

    you could try a program called digital patrol scanner which is specifically
    built for trojans from

    http://www.antiviraldp.com/

    It's a trial version, but you can update the latest trojan definitions.

    hth

    kds

    king doodle squat, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Harry The Horse

    Timberwolf Guest

    "Don" <mailto:> wrote in message

    > "Harry The Horse" <> wrote in message
    >> The home desktop of a friend of mine appears to have been affected by a
    >> Trojan but I am at a loss as to what to do to help him. He is running
    >> W2K
    >> SP4, McAfee
    >> Viruscan 7.1 and Zone Alarm Pro. A few days ago, he went to a web site
    >> and
    >> his virus checker reported that it had deleted a trojan call something
    >> like
    >> 'exploit dialog ARG'. Since then, his PC runs like a slug and the start
    >> menu has nearly all its entries gone. If you browse with explorer to
    >> "documents and settings/all users/start menu" it comes back eventually
    >> with
    >> the error "error performing inpage operation". A virus scan reports no
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> My guess is that the trojan has installed itself in 'start menu' some
    >> where
    >> and then made the folder inaccessible. Anyone seen anything like this
    >> before?
    >>
    >> I rebuilt his PC only a couple of months ago because he'd buggered up the
    >> registry so I don't want to have to do it again :(
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received,
    >>

    > It sounds a right mess. Back up all remaining required data. Format the
    > hard drive and re install. Put his data back and give him and charge him
    > for doing it. The fee will do more than any firewall to keep his machine
    > free of rubbish.

    since when do you format the drive to remove a pest don?
    there are plenty of freeware scanners and cleaners out there---use one

    me thinks don will be formatting his drives for ever and a day
    one link for you is this
    http://www.handyarchive.com/free/trojan-cleaner/

    there are loads more and no doubt others will point you towards etc
    hth

    Timberwolf, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Harry The Horse

    pete Guest

    There are many sites that offer free online virus scans. These sites are
    useful as they have up to date protection available. I have included a few
    links below that allow you to do such online scans:

    http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/products/housecall_pre.php
    <http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/products/housecall_pre.php>

    <http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm>
    <http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php>