    --
    email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Fierce Guppy, Feb 14, 2009

  2. Fierce Guppy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
    >
    > Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
    > building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
    > good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

    I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still only
    rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if there's
    going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going to be for
    versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more rumours.)

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2009

  3. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    ~misfit~ submitted this idea :
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
    >>
    >> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
    >> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
    >> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

    > I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still only
    > rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if there's
    > going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going to be for
    > versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more rumours.)
    >
    > Good luck,

    Last Thursday from PlayTech along with a sporty x58 board and a CPU.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Feb 14, 2009
  4. In message <>, Fierce Guppy wrote:

    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
    >
    > Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
    > building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
    > good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

    Looks like your purchase lies outside the "Program Eligibility Period"
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2015>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 14, 2009
  5. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    Max Burke explained :
    > ~misfit~ wrote:

    [...]
    >> I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still
    >> only rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if
    >> there's going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going
    >> to be for versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more
    >> rumours.)
    >>
    >> Good luck,

    > Not news: After a certain time, Vista-based PC buyers will get free Windows 7
    > upgrade
    > Every time that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, it offers free
    > upgrades to that OS to users who buy a PC running the previous Windows
    > version in the months right before and after that new release. Despite this,
    > the web was a aglow this week with news that Microsoft would--get this--give
    > Vista-based PC buyers a free copy of Windows 7 if they bought that PC close
    > enough to the release of Windows 7. Wake up people. They've been doing this
    > for years. Moving on.
    >
    > http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/101517/wininfo-short-takes-week-of-february-16-2009.html

    Ah, Ok. Damnation!

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Fierce Guppy

    Fierce Guppy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro explained on 14/02/2009 :
    > In message <>, Fierce Guppy wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
    >>
    >> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
    >> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
    >> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

    > Looks like your purchase lies outside the "Program Eligibility Period"
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2015>.

    Yeah, the situation turns out to be pretty sucky after all. At least
    Vista Ultimate has MS Lili (Mandarine Chinese TTS). She'll make it
    better.

    Tony.

    Fierce Guppy, Feb 14, 2009
  7. Fierce Guppy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Max Burke wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
    >>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
    >>>
    >>> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally
    >>> started building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel
    >>> pretty damn good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

    >> I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are
    >> still only rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear
    >> that, if there's going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option
    >> it's only going to be for versions of Vista purchased after a
    >> certain date. (LOL, more rumours.) Good luck,

    > Not news: After a certain time, Vista-based PC buyers will get free
    > Windows 7 upgrade
    > Every time that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, it offers
    > free upgrades to that OS to users who buy a PC running the previous
    > Windows version in the months right before and after that new release.
    > Despite this, the web was a aglow this week with news that Microsoft
    > would--get this--give Vista-based PC buyers a free copy of Windows 7
    > if they bought that PC close enough to the release of Windows 7. Wake
    > up people. They've been doing this for years. Moving on.
    >
    > http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/101517/wininfo-short-takes-week-of-february-16-2009.html

    Ok, quotation marks around the quoted bit would have been more informative.
    (Unless you're really Paul Thurrott?)

    As Paul says in the quote above, MS gives free upgrades to folks who buy a
    new PC " in the months right before...". Normally this is announced previous
    or concurrent with it happening. I've seen it myself in advertisments for
    new PCs. However there is talk of late that this time around there's a
    chance that it'll be retroactive, applying to purchases made before it's
    announced. I'm of the opinion that it's likely wishful thinking on the part
    of the poor saps who've bought Vista and are hearing good things about W7.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2009