possible virus

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by lsj7, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm today.
    Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro online Housecall.
    It found one virus it says.

    HKTL Prockilla
    file
    C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe

    I did this Google
    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any one has
    heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.

    thanx

    --
    lsj7

    It may be true that you can't fool all the people all the time, but you can
    fool
    enough of them to rule a large country.
    ________will durant

    lsj7, Nov 12, 2003

  2. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    lsj7 wrote:
    > I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    > today. Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro
    > online Housecall. It found one virus it says.
    >
    > HKTL Prockilla
    > file
    > C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe
    >
    > I did this Google

    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    > I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any one
    > has heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.
    >
    > thanx

    ran across this.......maybe nothing to it.
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/voltan.shtml

    lsj7, Nov 12, 2003

  3. lsj7

    °Mike° Guest

    I can't find any information on it, from the description you
    gave. AVG has a habit of 'guessing', so I suggest you...

    Submit the file here:

    Get other opinions:

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:19:06 -0600, in
    <Ekysb.4830$>
    lsj7 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 12, 2003
  4. lsj7

    trout Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    > today.
    > Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro online
    > Housecall.
    > It found one virus it says.
    >
    > HKTL Prockilla
    > file
    > C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe
    >
    > I did this Google

    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    > I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any one
    > has
    > heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.
    >
    > thanx

    It's not a virus; although it could be classified as 'spyware'. The
    answer *is* on the site you quoted. HP, among others, has used "Backweb"
    in its 'help' software. It's probably unnecessary.
    Try Highjack This: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    --
    "I *believe* that will get rid of it, if you want."

    trout, Nov 12, 2003
  5. lsj7

    Richard Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    > today.
    > Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro online
    > Housecall.
    > It found one virus it says.

    > HKTL Prockilla
    > file
    > C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe

    > I did this Google
    > http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:VWqBoskx97gJ:bizforums.itrc.hp.
    > com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xeb065f938a10d6118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html+
    > terminator.exe+virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    > I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any one
    > has
    > heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.

    > thanx

    Did you check the properties and source information?
    There was a "terminator" virus around but that doesn't mean that a
    legitimate file can't have that name.
    I had a virus and wasn't aware of it until I updated the list for AVG, then
    it caught the thing.

    Unless it effects the BIOS, any virus is cleanable. A reformat does the
    trick every time.

    Richard, Nov 12, 2003
  6. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > I can't find any information on it, from the description you
    > gave. AVG has a habit of 'guessing', so I suggest you...
    >
    > Submit the file here:
    > http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html
    >
    > Get other opinions:
    > http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp
    >

    > On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:19:06 -0600, in
    > <Ekysb.4830$>
    > lsj7 scrawled:
    >
    >> I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    >> today. Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro
    >> online Housecall. It found one virus it says.
    >>
    >> HKTL Prockilla
    >> file
    >> C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe
    >>
    >> I did this Google

    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    >> I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any
    >> one has heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.
    >>
    >> thanx

    I tried two of the links you gave . The third could not load. That was
    yesterday and I believe it was kaspersky that would not load--I am
    remembering--so I hope I remember rightly. The other two found nothing.
    AVG by Grisoft found nothing. I could find nothing on HKTL Prockilla. My
    next step is writing to HP and some of the links you gave. Thanx.......

    lsj7, Nov 13, 2003
  7. lsj7

    lsj7 Guest

    trout wrote:
    > lsj7 wrote:
    >
    >> I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    >> today.
    >> Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro online
    >> Housecall.
    >> It found one virus it says.
    >>
    >> HKTL Prockilla
    >> file
    >> C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe
    >>
    >> I did this Google

    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    >> I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any one
    >> has
    >> heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.
    >>
    >> thanx

    > It's not a virus; although it could be classified as 'spyware'.
    > The answer *is* on the site you quoted. HP, among others, has used
    > "Backweb" in its 'help' software. It's probably unnecessary.
    > Try Highjack This: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    I ran hijack this and did not find the file. I have used Housecall gobs of
    times in the last few months as back up scanner for this system. Never has
    this shown up before. I suppose I need to email HP and Housecall and find
    out what they know of the file and why it has shown up at this time.

    Thank you

    lsj7, Nov 13, 2003
  8. lsj7

    trout Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> lsj7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have Grisoft AVG free edition. It has found nothing as of 1 pm
    >>> today.
    >>> Just a little while ago I decided to scan with TrendMicro online
    >>> Housecall.
    >>> It found one virus it says.
    >>>
    >>> HKTL Prockilla
    >>> file
    >>> C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe
    >>>
    >>> I did this Google

    http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...9,00.html terminator.exe virus&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

    >>> I will now run AVG and see if it finds this. Is this a virus any
    >>> one
    >>> has
    >>> heard of? Housecall says it is uncleanable.
    >>>
    >>> thanx

    >> It's not a virus; although it could be classified as 'spyware'.
    >> The answer *is* on the site you quoted. HP, among others, has used
    >> "Backweb" in its 'help' software. It's probably unnecessary.
    >> Try Highjack This: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    > I ran hijack this and did not find the file. I have used Housecall
    > gobs of
    > times in the last few months as back up scanner for this system.
    > Never has
    > this shown up before. I suppose I need to email HP and Housecall and
    > find
    > out what they know of the file and why it has shown up at this time.
    >
    > Thank you

    Referring to the page you posted;
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?K12052886
    and the post by Terri Gianola:

    trout, Nov 13, 2003
  9. lsj7

    Bob Cooper Guest

    I haven't added anything in quite some time until I just downloaded
    the Adaware 6.0 and then ran ravantivirus.com online virus scanner.
    Now I have Backweb files. Possibly I overlooked them before but I
    think not. It appears one of these two services dropped this on me.

    I checked the add/remove software bot in the control panel and it
    doesn't show BackWeb. I did see several surprises: RealDownload,
    Support.com Web Controls, ViewPoint MediaPlayer.

    I share this machine with my spousal unit. Perhaps thats the answer!?

    I note that where I work we had a little problem the other day when,
    out of nowhere, the printer began printing a note from Hewlett
    Packard. HP was informing us that their support service had been
    discontinued months back. I vaguely recall some mention about
    uninstalling something.

    Regards
    Bob

    Bob Cooper, Nov 18, 2003
  10. lsj7

    trout Guest

    Bob Cooper wrote:

    > I haven't added anything in quite some time until I just downloaded
    > the Adaware 6.0 and then ran ravantivirus.com online virus scanner.
    > Now I have Backweb files. Possibly I overlooked them before but I
    > think not. It appears one of these two services dropped this on me.
    >
    > I checked the add/remove software bot in the control panel and it
    > doesn't show BackWeb. I did see several surprises: RealDownload,
    > Support.com Web Controls, ViewPoint MediaPlayer.
    >
    > I share this machine with my spousal unit. Perhaps thats the answer!?
    >
    > I note that where I work we had a little problem the other day when,
    > out of nowhere, the printer began printing a note from Hewlett
    > Packard. HP was informing us that their support service had been
    > discontinued months back. I vaguely recall some mention about
    > uninstalling something.
    >
    > Regards
    > Bob

    This is *most likely* "Support.com Web Controls". Often, when
    Backweb shows up, it's in one of these automated 'support' programs;
    probably installed by the manufacturer or ISP. As they're not necessary
    for regular performance; I'd let AdAware remove them. You could always
    keep a copy in quarantine, in case they're ever 'needed'.
    If you're still looking for more detailed information, or would like
    a 'second opinion'; I'd suggest you ask in a new thread, though.
    --
    "This one's getting kind of old and obscure."

    trout, Nov 18, 2003