    Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
    There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
    More than 500.000 already infected!
    Ronald, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Ronald

    Osprey Guest

    "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    news:bi7vfa$683hk$-berlin.de...
    > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    > patch.exe. I presume it is a fake message although my antivirus software

    AVG
    > says that the file is a virus.

    Get these every day;-) I'd suggest AVG could be right;-)

    Osprey
    Osprey, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Ronald

    Boomer Guest

    Ronald said:

    > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment
    > called patch.exe. I presume it is a fake message although my
    > antivirus software AVG says that the file is a virus.
    >
    > Jackie
    >
    > Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
    > There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
    > More than 500.000 already infected!

    MS doesn't not send out patches.
    Delete the e-mail.
    Boomer, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Ronald

    °Mike° Guest

    It *is* a fake - Microsoft do NOT send out patches. You need
    to replace/supplement your antivirus program.

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    KAV
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Anti-trojan:
    ------------
    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Defence Suite (TDS-3)
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:58:46 +0100, in
    <bi7vfa$683hk$-berlin.de>
    Ronald scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Ronald

    gfx Guest

    Ronald wrote:
    > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    > patch.exe. I presume it is a fake message although my antivirus software AVG
    > says that the file is a virus.
    >
    > Jackie
    >
    > Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
    > There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
    > More than 500.000 already infected!

    Change "Possible" to "Is". Has Microsoft ever written to you before
    wanting you to open an attachment? I didn't think so.
    gfx, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Ronald

    Bob Wilcox Guest

    "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    > patch.exe.

    Microsoft doesn't send attachments!
    Bob Wilcox, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    "Bob Wilcox" <> wrote in message

    > "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    > > patch.exe.

    > Microsoft doesn't send attachments!

    SUPPOSEDLY from Microsoft
    I did a scan with an online anti virus site and it said it is a virus. And
    yet I updated my AVG software last week. I suppose I will have to do it
    again

    Ronald, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Ronald

    bb3 Guest

    "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    > > > patch.exe.

    > > Microsoft doesn't send attachments!
    > >

    > SUPPOSEDLY from Microsoft
    > I did a scan with an online anti virus site and it said it is a virus. And
    > yet I updated my AVG software last week. I suppose I will have to do it
    > again

    The newest AVG database is 309 released 19 Aug 03.
    bb3, Aug 23, 2003
  9. Ronald

    acanofcant Guest

    I'd get rid of AVG and use another one, personally I use Norton AntiVirus, I
    know it gets a lot of stick from people (included in this newsgroup), but
    I've never had any problems with it, it has always detected all viruses and
    successfully eliminated them also (heard AVG has problems eliminating
    certain viruses).

    Acanofcant

    acanofcant, Aug 23, 2003
  10. Ronald

    Osprey Guest

    No AVG can be 100% foolproof IMHO. Someone must get infected! How else would
    they be discovered?

    Osprey

    Osprey, Aug 23, 2003
  11. Ronald

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Osprey said:

    > No AVG can be 100% foolproof IMHO. Someone must get infected! How else would
    > they be discovered?

    In the same way anti-venon was created *after* the first few snake bites.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 23, 2003
  12. Ronald

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Microsoft *NEVER* sends attachments through the email. It is a virus.

    "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    : Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment called
    : patch.exe. I presume it is a fake message although my antivirus
    software AVG
    : says that the file is a virus.
    :
    : Jackie
    :
    PuppyKatt, Aug 23, 2003
  13. Ronald

    Kraftee Guest

    Ronald wrote:
    > "Osprey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment
    >>> called patch.exe. I presume it is a fake message although my
    >>> antivirus software AVG says that the file is a virus.

    >> Get these every day;-) I'd suggest AVG could be right;-)
    >>
    >> Osprey

    > Sorry AVG says it is NOT a virus

    Suggest you update AVG then...

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 23, 2003
  14. Ronald

    PhilGreg Guest

    "Osprey" <> wrote in message
    > No AVG can be 100% foolproof IMHO. Someone must get infected! How

    else would
    > they be discovered?

    ==> Redundancy. One for real time monitoring and one for on demand
    scanning.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    PhilGreg, Aug 23, 2003
  15. Ronald

    Kraftee Guest

    Ronald wrote:
    > "Bob Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ronald" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi I got an email supposedly from Microsoft with an attachment
    >>> called patch.exe.

    >> Microsoft doesn't send attachments!
    >>

    > SUPPOSEDLY from Microsoft
    > I did a scan with an online anti virus site and it said it is a
    > virus. And yet I updated my AVG software last week. I suppose I
    > will have to do it again

    Just because your AV is upto date (you think) won't stop anyone
    sending you, intentionally or not, emails with virus attatchments....

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....
    Kraftee, Aug 24, 2003