Possible Virus-related problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tom Conlon, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Tom Conlon

    Tom Conlon Guest

    I have a question for the assembled multitude.

    Recently I was on the road using my laptop at a hotel. The hotel provided
    high-speed internet in the room via a cable modem.

    While I was on line, my virus scan (Symantic's Norton Anti-virus) picked up
    and removed several viruses.

    Now I have a problem when I'm on line with the laptop.

    While I'm working, I get a message that says: "Generic Host Processor for
    Win32." After it comes up, I lose things like sound or I have problems with
    various web sites.

    When I shut down the machine, I get an error message that says: "ccApp."

    I've run virus scan a couple of time and it doesn't pick up anything.
    AdAware & SpyBot don't pick up anything "interesting."

    I'm really not all that enthusiastic about reloasing the OS, etc., but I
    will if I have to.

    Anyone have any ideas? You can respond here or you can email me at either
    or .

    Thanks,
    \Tom Conlon

    Tom Conlon, Jun 15, 2005

  2. Tom Conlon

    AG Guest

    "Tom Conlon" <> wrote in message
    >I have a question for the assembled multitude.
    >
    > Recently I was on the road using my laptop at a hotel. The hotel provided
    > high-speed internet in the room via a cable modem.
    >
    > While I was on line, my virus scan (Symantic's Norton Anti-virus) picked
    > up and removed several viruses.
    >
    > Now I have a problem when I'm on line with the laptop.
    >
    > While I'm working, I get a message that says: "Generic Host Processor for
    > Win32." After it comes up, I lose things like sound or I have problems
    > with various web sites.
    >
    > When I shut down the machine, I get an error message that says: "ccApp."
    >
    > I've run virus scan a couple of time and it doesn't pick up anything.
    > AdAware & SpyBot don't pick up anything "interesting."
    >
    > I'm really not all that enthusiastic about reloasing the OS, etc., but I
    > will if I have to.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? You can respond here or you can email me at either
    > or .
    >
    > Thanks,
    > \Tom Conlon

    Hey Tom you don't say what OS you are using. That would help.

    AG

    AG, Jun 15, 2005

  3. Tom Conlon

    Jack Guest

    "Tom Conlon" <> wrote in message
    >I have a question for the assembled multitude.
    >
    > Recently I was on the road using my laptop at a hotel. The hotel provided
    > high-speed internet in the room via a cable modem.
    >
    > While I was on line, my virus scan (Symantic's Norton Anti-virus) picked
    > up and removed several viruses.
    >
    > Now I have a problem when I'm on line with the laptop.
    >
    > While I'm working, I get a message that says: "Generic Host Processor for
    > Win32." After it comes up, I lose things like sound or I have problems
    > with various web sites.
    >
    > When I shut down the machine, I get an error message that says: "ccApp."
    >
    > I've run virus scan a couple of time and it doesn't pick up anything.
    > AdAware & SpyBot don't pick up anything "interesting."
    >
    > I'm really not all that enthusiastic about reloasing the OS, etc., but I
    > will if I have to.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? You can respond here or you can email me at either
    > or .
    >
    > Thanks,
    > \Tom Conlon

    Download the security update from MS related to the RPC overrun.

    http://microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

    Jack, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Tom Conlon

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Tom Conlon

    me Guest

    I will give you the advice that I always follow when I suspect a virus.
    First--never trust your own installed antivirus program IF you suspect your
    computer is infected. I say this for a couple of reasons--First if your
    computer got infected through the internet--your antivirus could have either
    been outdated, or the program simply isn't any good because it does not use
    real-time scanning to catch the viruses as they attempt to infect your
    machine--one reason I really like Mcafee. Nothing has gotten through my
    machine that McAfee has not caught. Second, assuming your computer is
    infected and your antivirus didn't catch it--assume the antivirus is
    compromised or disabled in some way--so you will need to completely remove
    the hard disk from the laptop and attach it as a slave device to another
    known good machine--you can attach it to a desktop or floor model using an
    adapter, with updated antivirus definitions and scan the drive that way.
    This is to me the first step in eliminating the antivirus program and the
    possibility of a virus in one move.

    Once you have eliminated the existence of a virus you can move on to other
    possibilities.

    me, Jun 16, 2005