    of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    lbbss, Apr 3, 2008

  2. lbbss

    Quean Guest

    the way i think it is...

    think so - though webmail may be a solution for the sent folder

    though, i maybe considered a leech - pole, please...

    if i can get what i desie for free... what's to stop me?

    "lbbss" <> Is it possible to setup up your email so you

    Quean, Apr 3, 2008

  3. lbbss

    JANA Guest

    For this you would need an email client system that is server based, and
    using the proper email client software. This would not be very practical
    for at home.

    Maybe someone here on the groups has a simple idea...

    I have a simple system at my home using a laptop and a desktop. They are
    both on line, and can access my email account. I have the laptop set up
    so that it does not delete the emails when it downloads them. It is set
    up to check for and retrieve emails automatically every 10 minutes. I
    have the desktop set the same way.

    About once a week, I log in to my ISP remote email access for my account
    and do a cleanup. This is once I am sure that the both computers have
    the newest emails downloaded. If you don't want to have to log in to do
    a cleanup, you can always temporarily set one of the computers to delete
    the emails on the ISP server after doing the download. The default is
    to delete emails on the ISP server after downloading.

    As for having the sent emails on both computers to be the same, this
    will require the need to for an email client system, as I mentioned
    above.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more

    JANA, Apr 3, 2008
  4. lbbss

    PeeCee Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    > business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more
    > of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    > all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    > send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    Ibbss

    With Outlook, though not officially sanctioned, you can have more than one
    PC access the same personal store file (usually Outlook.pst)
    The trick is to place the pst file in a shared folder and set each PC's copy
    of Outlook to use this shared pst file via your LAN.
    Downside is only one PC at a time can use the pst file at a time.
    i.e. if PC 1 has it open PC 2 will display an error until PC 1 has exited
    from Outlook.

    I haven't the same trick with Outlook Express but it may work, up to you to
    experiment, unless someone else has tried it and can comment.

    The geek alternative is to build a small Linux box with a mail server on it.
    Not within my area of knowledge so you will have to get others input if you
    fancy this idea.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 3, 2008
  5. lbbss

    Mike Easter Guest

    "lbbss"
    > My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    > business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more
    > of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    > all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    > send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    Your post doesn't show on many systems because you are posting from
    googlegroups. I accessed it from the References line of those who
    answered you. I filter googlegroupers because they don't ask questions
    very well, such as naming the operating system and mailuser agent in
    question.

    You can synchronize the email files and folders of two networked
    computers either by using the same store folder for the mail app's
    folderfiles or by using the synchronizing app Briefcase, which is still
    available in XP except that it is accessed/created with the command Run
    syncapp instead of the way it works in Win98.

    Your provider Cogeco provides a free usenet news server for you
    news.cogeco.ca and it can be accessed very similarly as your mailuser
    agent such as OE and Tbird access a mailserver. The interface is far
    superior to what you are seeing with googlegroups, you can filter
    undesirable posts better, and you won't be filtered by so many other
    readers.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 3, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    And can you close outlook #1 from computer #2? Or do I need to
    physically go to computer 1 and close it. And obviously both
    computers need to be powered on. thanks for your replies.

    lbbss, Apr 3, 2008
  7. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    I have xp and MS outlook 2003. so if one email is marked as read on
    computer 1, will it also be marked as read on comp 2?

    lbbss, Apr 3, 2008
  8. lbbss

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    > business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more
    > of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    > all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    > send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    The simplest way to do this using standard mail clients is to use a mail
    provider (Or your own internal mail server) that supports IMAP.

    I see others have suggested sharing the data files, in my opinion and
    experience this is a very bad idea and is highly likely to lead to user
    confusion at best and at worst data corruption.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 3, 2008
  9. lbbss

    Jordon Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    > business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more
    > of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    > all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    > send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    Besides the other suggestions, you could keep email on just
    one computer and run something like UltraVNC (free) to remote
    control your email program from the second computer.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Apr 3, 2008
  10. lbbss

    Sqwertz Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:

    > The simplest way to do this using standard mail clients is to use a mail
    > provider (Or your own internal mail server) that supports IMAP.

    This is the winning answer. Nothing convoluted about using IMAP.

    > I see others have suggested sharing the data files, in my opinion and
    > experience this is a very bad idea and is highly likely to lead to user
    > confusion at best and at worst data corruption.

    -sw

    Sqwertz, Apr 3, 2008
  11. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    So with the remote you can see from computer 1 what is on computer 2
    screen (as if you were physically there). And you could open
    emails on computer 2, from computer 1? is that correct? thank.

    lbbss, Apr 3, 2008
  12. lbbss

    Jordon Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > So with the remote you can see from computer 1 what is on computer 2
    > screen (as if you were physically there). And you could open
    > emails on computer 2, from computer 1? is that correct? thank.

    That's correct. It's pretty easy to set up.

    http://www.uvnc.com/

    Just install it on both machines with the host running on
    the computer to be controlled. Run the viewer on the other
    machine and enter the ip of the host.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Apr 3, 2008
  13. lbbss

    ded Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > My wife would like to have a second computer near the kitchen for here
    > business. Sharing files is no problem with a network. Email is more
    > of a problem. Is it possible to setup up your email so you can have
    > all the same email on both computers, so it identical? Even your
    > send folder to have the same history. Thanks.

    "near the kitchen for her business".... Is that a misogynists euphemism?

    ded, Apr 3, 2008
  14. lbbss

    Guest

    Sqwertz <> wrote:

    >> The simplest way to do this using standard mail clients is to use a mail
    >> provider (Or your own internal mail server) that supports IMAP.

    >This is the winning answer.

    Nobody told me there were prizes!, $#!# I bet there was cake served as
    well!

    --
    Pix - Space shuttle
    http://tinyurl.com/29psgf

    , Apr 3, 2008
  15. lbbss

    PeeCee Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > And can you close outlook #1 from computer #2? Or do I need to
    > physically go to computer 1 and close it. And obviously both
    > computers need to be powered on. thanks for your replies.

    Sounds like Jordan's suggestion to use VNC may be the better way for you to
    go.
    That way all the email is in one place, and you reduce the risk of data
    corruption.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 4, 2008
  16. lbbss

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > Sqwertz <> wrote:
    >
    >>> The simplest way to do this using standard mail clients is to use a mail
    >>> provider (Or your own internal mail server) that supports IMAP.

    >> This is the winning answer.

    > Nobody told me there were prizes!, $#!# I bet there was cake served as
    > well!

    MMMmmmm Carrot Cake for the Desk Rabbit. Yummy!

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 4, 2008