Possible to open multiple instances/profiles of Firefox (win32)?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Isak Dinesen, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Isak Dinesen

    Isak Dinesen Guest

    I was under the impression that the thinking behind browser-based user
    profiles was that it should be possible for multiple people sharing one
    computer to manage separate preferences, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc,
    without actually setting up multiple accounts on and constantly logging onto
    and off of the system (closing programs, waiting, etc.). Now let's say I
    have 6 tabs open in a Firefox window and my wife wants to quickly check an
    RSS list that is stored in her profile. My first instinct here is to type
    "firefox -ProfileManager", to "force" firefox to diplay the profile
    selection dialog. But it doesn't force the dialog to appear -- is that by
    design?

    A second related problem is this: Let's say I periodically open a Terminal
    Services session from the office to my home computer (to check personal
    email, view recent market activity, scan /., etc.). If I was careless enough
    to forget to close Firefox the night before, I am not allowed to open
    another instance using the same profile (thus I have to kill the currently
    running instance which has the strange side effect that all of the custom
    icons for bookmarks in my personal toolbar disappear). Firefox should not
    have a need to exclusively lock any of the files in a profile directory for
    any extended period of time. What gives?

    Any workarounds and/or insights are much appreciated.
    Isak Dinesen, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Isak Dinesen

    Isak Dinesen Guest

    *Bump*

    Isak Dinesen, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Isak Dinesen wrote:

    > I was under the impression that the thinking behind browser-based user
    > profiles was that it should be possible for multiple people sharing one
    > computer to manage separate preferences, bookmarks, mail accounts, etc,
    > without actually setting up multiple accounts on and constantly logging onto
    > and off of the system (closing programs, waiting, etc.). Now let's say I
    > have 6 tabs open in a Firefox window and my wife wants to quickly check an
    > RSS list that is stored in her profile. My first instinct here is to type
    > "firefox -ProfileManager", to "force" firefox to diplay the profile
    > selection dialog. But it doesn't force the dialog to appear -- is that by
    > design?

    Where are you typing this? Location bar? Start>>Run?

    Regardless, I think the only way in FF is to close the program and
    reopen it in the new profile. Mozilla has Tools>>Options>>Switch
    Profile. This opens Profile Manager and reopens the ap in the new profile.

    > A second related problem is this: Let's say I periodically open a Terminal
    > Services session from the office to my home computer (to check personal
    > email, view recent market activity, scan /., etc.). If I was careless enough
    > to forget to close Firefox the night before, I am not allowed to open
    > another instance using the same profile (thus I have to kill the currently
    > running instance which has the strange side effect that all of the custom
    > icons for bookmarks in my personal toolbar disappear). Firefox should not
    > have a need to exclusively lock any of the files in a profile directory for
    > any extended period of time. What gives?
    >
    > Any workarounds and/or insights are much appreciated.

    Unfortunatetly, I have no insight on this one.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jul 27, 2004