    up to shutdown in power management after a time period but explorer has
    the annoying habbit and polling the drives and cdroms on its own and
    the damn thing powers up for no good reason.
    elsamo, Nov 15, 2004

  2. In article <> in
    nz.comp on 14 Nov 2004 20:07:34 -0800, elsamo <> says...
    > Is it possible to manually power down a harddrive in windows XP? Ive
    > got two 120gig hdds in my pc and Id like to be able to power down the
    > second one and bring it up only when its needed. I know you can set it
    > up to shutdown in power management after a time period but explorer has
    > the annoying habbit and polling the drives and cdroms on its own and
    > the damn thing powers up for no good reason.

    Explorer obviously has to get some information from the HDD at certain
    times, like when it needs to list all the drives, and it can only get
    that when the drive is running.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004

  3. elsamo wrote:
    > Is it possible to manually power down a harddrive in windows XP?

    if scsi or SATA then supposedly yes.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 15, 2004
  4. elsamo wrote:
    > Is it possible to manually power down a harddrive in windows XP? Ive
    > got two 120gig hdds in my pc and Id like to be able to power down the
    > second one and bring it up only when its needed. I know you can set it
    > up to shutdown in power management after a time period but explorer has
    > the annoying habbit and polling the drives and cdroms on its own and
    > the damn thing powers up for no good reason.

    Not using the Windows API, apparently. The WMI (Windows Management
    Instrumentation) provides a disk.setpowerstate() function, but Microsoft
    says that it is not implemented yet. Looks like it is not possible. The
    only way you could do it would be to set the power down delay to a very
    small value.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 15, 2004