    does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
    it seems like a good way to save some money.

    Thanks, Justin.

    Justin, Dec 27, 2006

  2. Justin

    Cgiorgio Guest

    It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:

    tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
    ground

    Cgiorgio, Dec 27, 2006

  3. On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:

    > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
    > the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
    > can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
    > wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
    > encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
    > good way to save some money.
    >
    > Thanks, Justin.

    I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
    this page should answer your question:

    http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.shtml

    /Kjell

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Kjell_H=F6gstr=F6m?=, Dec 27, 2006
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Cgiorgio wrote:
    > It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:
    >
    > tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
    > ground
    >

    > "Justin" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
    > > on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
    > > what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
    > > release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
    > > does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
    > > it seems like a good way to save some money.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Justin.

    Sweet. Thanks guys!

    Justin, Dec 27, 2006
  5. Justin

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Kjell Högström
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:
    >
    > > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
    > > the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
    > > can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
    > > wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
    > > encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
    > > good way to save some money.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Justin.

    > I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
    > this page should answer your question:
    >
    > http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_pin-out/pin-out.shtml

    It is.

    independence.