    it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
    my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
    Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?
    R Johnson, Aug 13, 2009

  2. R Johnson

    andy Guest

    On 13 Aug, 08:31, R Johnson <> wrote:
    > Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
    > archives.
    >
    > It's two questions really.
    > Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
    > Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?
    >
    > In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and narrow
    > it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
    > my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
    > Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

    This website can tell you who the number provider is

    http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

    But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    Voxalot in my case
    andy, Aug 13, 2009

  3. R Johnson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 13/08/09 09:52, andy wrote:
    > On 13 Aug, 08:31, R Johnson<> wrote:
    >> Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
    >> archives.
    >>
    >> It's two questions really.
    >> Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
    >> Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?
    >>
    >> In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and narrow
    >> it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that OLO's on
    >> my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but so are BT.
    >> Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

    > This website can tell you who the number provider is
    >
    > http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    >
    > But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    > number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    > Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    > Voxalot in my case

    If you're using Sipgate the call list on the website will tell you if a
    call is on their system or not.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 13, 2009
  4. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:38:35 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

    > On 13/08/09 09:52, andy wrote:
    >> On 13 Aug, 08:31, R Johnson<> wrote:
    >>> Probably been asked before, but I can't find a terse answer in the
    >>> archives.
    >>>
    >>> It's two questions really.
    >>> Is it possible to work out if a published number is in a VoIP range?
    >>> Is it possible to trace it back to the provider?
    >>>
    >>> In the 'good ole days' you could look at the number for a town and
    >>> narrow it down to the village/switch it was on. Today I can tell that
    >>> OLO's on my local exchange are using numbers that begin with '80', but
    >>> so are BT. Is this a mess that cannot easily be unjumbled?

    >> This website can tell you who the number provider is
    >>
    >> http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    >>
    >> But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    >> number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    >> Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    >> Voxalot in my case

    Thanks Andy, details noted and appreciated.

    > If you're using Sipgate the call list on the website will tell you if a
    > call is on their system or not.

    Nope, it's to look at spammer phone numbers in emails and to pin down the
    provider. Nothing more interesting than that :-(

    R Johnson, Aug 13, 2009
  5. R Johnson

    Roger Mills Guest

    andy <> wrote:

    > This website can tell you who the number provider is
    >
    > http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    >
    > But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    > number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    > Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    > Voxalot in my case

    Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives the
    operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Aug 13, 2009
  6. R Johnson

    Graham. Guest

    >> This website can tell you who the number provider is
    >>
    >> http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    >>
    >> But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    >> number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    >> Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    >> Voxalot in my case

    > Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives
    > the operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!

    I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
    I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
    VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 14, 2009
  7. In article <h6350e$1rk$-september.org>,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >>> This website can tell you who the number provider is
    >>>
    >>> http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
    >>>
    >>> But note that some rent numbers from others, so for example if the
    >>> number supplier is Magrathea, the VoIP brand might be Voiptalk,
    >>> Sipgate, Orbtalk or others set up by the user, such as JustVoip or
    >>> Voxalot in my case

    >> Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives
    >> the operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!

    >I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
    >I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
    >VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

    I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out the
    numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives in the
    same geographic area as the area code for the number, then it's still
    a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.

    Sure you can make/take calls from anywhere with it, but I'd hope that
    for the most part you're physically in the area it describes.

    The 03 range complicates it as it's charged as the same rate as
    geographics are but non-geographic!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Aug 14, 2009
  8. R Johnson

    Roger Mills Guest

    Gordon Henderson <> wrote:

    > In article <h6350e$1rk$-september.org>,
    > Graham. <> wrote:
    >>

    >> I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
    >> I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
    >> VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

    > I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out
    > the numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives
    > in the same geographic area as the area code for the number, then
    > it's still a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.

    Except that they don't! My VoIP supplier allows you to select *any*
    available 'geographic' number - not just one which is relevant to where you
    live. For example, I live in Warwick but one of my 'geographic' numbers is a
    Cambridge number. [You can probably have one that isn't even in the UK].
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Aug 14, 2009
  9. R Johnson

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >>> Indeed. When I look up my VoIP number (provided by voip.co.uk) it gives
    >>> the operator as Gamma Telecommunication, and says it's Geographic!

    >>I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
    >>I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
    >>VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

    >I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out the
    >numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives in the
    >same geographic area as the area code for the number, then it's still
    >a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.
    >
    >Sure you can make/take calls from anywhere with it, but I'd hope that
    >for the most part you're physically in the area it describes.

    You wouldn't be very happy with people like me then. I have an 01372
    (Esher) area code number on Sipgate, but I actually live over 6,000
    miles away in Asia.

    The purpose of this is to allow family members who live in that area
    of the UK to call me for the price of a local phone call.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Aug 14, 2009
  10. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:14:34 +0100, Chris Blunt wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    > <> wrote:

    >>>I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number. I certainly
    >>>tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with VoIP, which is
    >>>a bit silly now I think about it.

    >>I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out the
    >>numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives in the
    >>same geographic area as the area code for the number, then it's still a
    >>real geographic as far as I'm concerend.
    >>
    >>Sure you can make/take calls from anywhere with it, but I'd hope that
    >>for the most part you're physically in the area it describes.

    > You wouldn't be very happy with people like me then. I have an 01372
    > (Esher) area code number on Sipgate, but I actually live over 6,000
    > miles away in Asia.
    >
    > The purpose of this is to allow family members who live in that area of
    > the UK to call me for the price of a local phone call.
    >
    > Chris

    Which is a tad bizarre because they could call you for free if they had
    Sipgate too, removing the need the obfuscation :)
    R Johnson, Aug 14, 2009
  11. R Johnson

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 14 Aug 2009 11:54:05 GMT, R Johnson <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:14:34 +0100, Chris Blunt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out the
    >>>numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives in the
    >>>same geographic area as the area code for the number, then it's still a
    >>>real geographic as far as I'm concerend.
    >>>
    >>>Sure you can make/take calls from anywhere with it, but I'd hope that
    >>>for the most part you're physically in the area it describes.

    >> You wouldn't be very happy with people like me then. I have an 01372
    >> (Esher) area code number on Sipgate, but I actually live over 6,000
    >> miles away in Asia.
    >>
    >> The purpose of this is to allow family members who live in that area of
    >> the UK to call me for the price of a local phone call.
    >>
    >> Chris

    >Which is a tad bizarre because they could call you for free if they had
    >Sipgate too, removing the need the obfuscation :)

    You're right, of course, but that would require each of them to have a
    working Sipgate installation on a broadband connection in their homes.
    Setting that up and sorting out problems with it from the other side
    of the world is something I wouldn't want to get involved in. Dealing
    with technophobes like my 78 year old mother who has an obsessive
    hatred of anything to do with computers would be an absolute
    nightmare. Providing her with something as simple as a local phone
    number which she can dial from her own phone in the same way as she's
    been used to doing all her life is a far easier way of doing it.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Aug 14, 2009
  12. R Johnson

    1506 Guest

    On Aug 14, 10:15 am, Chris Blunt <> wrote:
    > On 14 Aug 2009 11:54:05 GMT, R Johnson <> wrote:
    >

    > >On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:14:34 +0100, Chris Blunt wrote:

    > >> You wouldn't be very happy with people like me then. I have an 01372
    > >> (Esher) area code number on Sipgate, but I actually live over 6,000
    > >> miles away in Asia.

    > >> The purpose of this is to allow family members who live in that area of
    > >> the UK to call me for the price of a local phone call.

    > >> Chris

    > >Which is a tad bizarre because they could call you for free if they had
    > >Sipgate too, removing the need the obfuscation :)

    > You're right, of course, but that would require each of them to have a
    > working Sipgate installation on a broadband connection in their homes.
    > Setting that up and sorting out problems with it from the other side
    > of the world is something I wouldn't want to get involved in. Dealing
    > with technophobes like my 78 year old mother who has an obsessive
    > hatred of anything to do with computers would be an absolute
    > nightmare. Providing her with something as simple as a local phone
    > number which she can dial from her own phone in the same way as she's
    > been used to doing all her life is a far easier way of doing it.
    >
    > Chris

    This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim. This allows Family friends and
    IT agents to contact me economically and easily.

    Most of my family could set up VoIP. However, it would be a hassle
    for my parents. And, I like having a virtual presence when I am away.

    Isn't Sipgate touchy about using their UK number outside the UK?
    1506, Aug 14, 2009
  13. R Johnson

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:54:54 -0700 (PDT), 1506
    <> wrote:

    >On Aug 14, 10:15 am, Chris Blunt <> wrote:

    >> >Which is a tad bizarre because they could call you for free if they had
    >> >Sipgate too, removing the need the obfuscation :)

    >> You're right, of course, but that would require each of them to have a
    >> working Sipgate installation on a broadband connection in their homes.
    >> Setting that up and sorting out problems with it from the other side
    >> of the world is something I wouldn't want to get involved in. Dealing
    >> with technophobes like my 78 year old mother who has an obsessive
    >> hatred of anything to do with computers would be an absolute
    >> nightmare. Providing her with something as simple as a local phone
    >> number which she can dial from her own phone in the same way as she's
    >> been used to doing all her life is a far easier way of doing it.
    >>
    >> Chris

    >This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    >Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    >mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim. This allows Family friends and
    >IT agents to contact me economically and easily.
    >
    >Most of my family could set up VoIP. However, it would be a hassle
    >for my parents. And, I like having a virtual presence when I am away.
    >
    >Isn't Sipgate touchy about using their UK number outside the UK?

    Sipgate's rules seem a bit inconsistent when it comes to this.
    There's a note on their registration page which says:

    "Important: Customers who sign up with sipgate for geographic phone
    numbers in the UK, must reside within the UK."

    But if you look at the FAQ in their help section there's a question
    which says:

    "Which tariffs apply if I operate my sipgate connection from another
    country?"

    To which their answer is:

    "As long as broadband internet is available, it doesn't matter where
    you attach your sipgate phone, all rates are charged the same,
    regardless of your gegraphic location.

    For example, a call from a sipgate telephone with a Londoner, living
    or working in Amsterdam would be charged at the same favourable rates
    as if at home."

    The way I interpret all that is that you should be a UK resident at
    the time you sign-up, but after that you can take your installation
    wherever you want and use it there. I assume they're able to tell
    where I'm located from the IP address I access their system from, but
    it's always worked for me and they've never questioned where I live
    now. I believe they may be more strict about this in Germany, and I
    heard there are even specific laws about it there.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Aug 14, 2009
  14. R Johnson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 14/08/09 11:00, Roger Mills wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Gordon Henderson<> wrote:
    >
    >> In article<h6350e$1rk$-september.org>,
    >> Graham.<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I think that expression has come to mean any 01/02 number.
    >>> I certainly tell people they can get a "real geographic number" with
    >>> VoIP, which is a bit silly now I think about it.

    >> I don't think it's stilly at all - as long as the people giving out
    >> the numbers make a reasonable job of making sure the recipient lives
    >> in the same geographic area as the area code for the number, then
    >> it's still a real geographic as far as I'm concerend.
    >>

    > Except that they don't! My VoIP supplier allows you to select *any*
    > available 'geographic' number - not just one which is relevant to where you
    > live. For example, I live in Warwick but one of my 'geographic' numbers is a
    > Cambridge number. [You can probably have one that isn't even in the UK].

    Indeed. I have numbers local to me, also Birmingham, London and even
    Düsseldorf and the USA. But then I have people in those areas who call
    me regularly, isn't the point of being able to have numbers in remote
    areas to make it cheaper for people in those areas to call you..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 14, 2009
  15. R Johnson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 14/08/09 18:54, 1506 wrote:

    [snip]

    > This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    > Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    > mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim. This allows Family friends and
    > IT agents to contact me economically and easily.
    >
    > Most of my family could set up VoIP. However, it would be a hassle
    > for my parents. And, I like having a virtual presence when I am away.
    >
    > Isn't Sipgate touchy about using their UK number outside the UK?

    No, why should they be..? The only requirement is that for a geographic
    number (rather than an 0845 or whatever) the initial registration is
    done from a UK IP address. Easily got around if necessary though :)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 14, 2009
  16. R Johnson

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 14/08/09 19:51, Chris Blunt wrote:

    [snip]

    > The way I interpret all that is that you should be a UK resident at
    > the time you sign-up, but after that you can take your installation
    > wherever you want and use it there. I assume they're able to tell
    > where I'm located from the IP address I access their system from, but
    > it's always worked for me and they've never questioned where I live
    > now. I believe they may be more strict about this in Germany, and I
    > heard there are even specific laws about it there.
    >
    > Chris

    Technically they are, although I used a friend's address to get my
    German number, they seem happy enough with it :)

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 14, 2009
  17. R Johnson

    Graham. Guest

    > Isn't Sipgate touchy about using their UK number outside the UK?

    think it's true that German law prevents +49 numbers
    leaving Germany as it were, so maybe that is the influence.
    They do say
    "Important: Customers who sign up with sipgate for geographic
    phone numbers in the UK, must reside within the UK."

    Also they had, maybe still have, a crude IP address check

    which prevents you from signing up from a non UK IP, I say

    crude because at one time it was treating Tiscali IPs as forign.

    Such a block however would not stop resourceful people

    like present company I shouldn't wonder :)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 14, 2009
  18. R Johnson

    Graham. Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > On 14/08/09 18:54, 1506 wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    >> Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    >> mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim. This allows Family friends and
    >> IT agents to contact me economically and easily.
    >>
    >> Most of my family could set up VoIP. However, it would be a hassle
    >> for my parents. And, I like having a virtual presence when I am away.
    >>
    >> Isn't Sipgate touchy about using their UK number outside the UK?

    > No, why should they be..? The only requirement is that for a geographic
    > number (rather than an 0845 or whatever) the initial registration is done
    > from a UK IP address. Easily got around if necessary though :)
    >
    > Ivor

    If you want a free Italian or Romanian number to add to your collection
    go to
    www.euteliavoip.com
    if you encounter what apears to be a barrier to signing up for an Italian
    one, just remember Google is your freind ;-)
    Oh and when you test it remember you don't drop the 0 when dialling
    Italy in international format (I did and thought it was not working)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Aug 14, 2009
  19. R Johnson

    Steve Terry Guest

    "1506" <> wrote in message
    On Aug 14, 10:15 am, Chris Blunt <> wrote:
    > On 14 Aug 2009 11:54:05 GMT, R Johnson <> wrote:
    > >On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:14:34 +0100, Chris Blunt wrote:

    <snip>
    >This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    >Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    >mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim.

    Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Bognor

    Reminds me of Trotters independent traders:
    New York, Paris and Streatham

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, Aug 14, 2009
  20. R Johnson

    zeitgeist Guest

    On 2009-08-14 21:45:34 +0100, "Steve Terry" <> said:

    > "1506" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 14, 10:15 am, Chris Blunt <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >> This is much like my situation. Normally I am based in Northern
    >> Nevada. I have numbers in Bognor Regis, Leeds and Portsmouth, not to
    >> mention West Los Angeles and Anaheim.
    >>

    > Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Bognor
    >
    > Reminds me of Trotters independent traders:
    > New York, Paris and Streatham
    >
    > Steve Terry

    Peckham even...
    --
    O2 UK Home Broadband & Vodafone IE Mobile Broadband user
    zeitgeist, Aug 14, 2009