Possible Remedies Against Anti-Trojan Company DCS re: TDS Program

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Art Vark, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. Art Vark

    Art Vark Guest

    If you are not satisfied with the remedies offered by Diamond Computer
    Systems regarding the recent discontinuation of TDS and would like
    to file a complaint, here are SOME of the agencies and organizations you can
    file via the Internet with:

    Australian Competition and Consumer Commission:

    The ACCC is concerned with misleading conduct or businesses with all or
    partial operations in Australia, where DCS is based. They are
    especially interested in companies which misrepresent their goods via the
    Internet. During the past several days, several of our clients who
    were using TDS and could not come to terms with DCS have filed complaints
    with the ACCC. The ACCC has been VERY receptive to these
    complaints and would like others who have been affected to come forward and
    file a complaint. For more information about the ACCC and/or
    to file a complaint, start at this link:

    http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/3871/fromItemId/3667

    If you are in the United States of America, the Federal Trade Commission
    regulates Internet sales if ANY PART of the transaction in carried over
    telephone lines. If you ordered over the Internet, it is most likely that
    some part of the transaction was carried over phone lines, thus you are
    covered and can register a complaint with them:

    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

    Although the Federal Trade Commission can take no direct action against
    Diamond Computer Systems in Australia, the CAN block DCS from doing business
    in the United States via mail, telephone and Internet.

    There are similar federal agencies in other countries whose rules are
    similar to those in the United States. If you are outside the United States,
    search the Internet for the federal consumer protection bureau in your
    country.

    VISA and MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, OTHERS:

    If you purchased a DCS product and HAVE NOT YET paid your credit card bill,
    contact your credit card company and tell them to put a stop on that payment
    immediately. You can contest your payment for any product for which you have
    not yet paid.

    If you have ALREADY PAID your credit card bill, even if it was some time
    ago, contact your credit card company immediately and as them for
    remediation with Diamond Computer Systems. Your credit card company can
    pressure DCS to provide you with a full or partial refund, and in cases
    where fraud can be identified, can charge-back even an old bill.

    Most of all, if VISA, MASTERCARD or other credit card companies receive
    enough complaints, they will pull DCS as a credit card merchant. If you used
    PAY PAL or any other method of payment, even if it was some time ago, FILE A
    COMPLAINT IMMEDIATELY.

    Local Better Business Bureau:

    In the United States and in other parts of the world, you can file
    complaints with your local Better Business Bureaus. Although the scope of
    these non-governmental entities are limited, they will at least maintain
    your complaint on record so that others looking to make purchases
    are made aware of dubious business practices.

    These are SOME of the remedies that you have to recover all or part of your
    payment(s) for products promised and not delivered.

    IN ALL EVENTS, YOU MUST FIRST CONTACT DCS AND ATTEMPT TO REMEDY THE
    SITUATION WITH THEM. IF YOU MAKE A GOOD FAITH EFFORT AND CANNOT COME TO
    TERMS WITH DCS, START FILING COMPLAINTS **IMMEDIATELY**.

    Please add on to this thread any other local, state and federal remedies or
    others that we may have missed. In addition, if you live outside of
    Australia, where DCS is based, and other remedies are available, please post
    them in this thread.
    Art Vark, Aug 13, 2005

  2. Art Vark

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:09:07 -0400, "Art Vark" <>
    wrote:

    >If you are not satisfied with the remedies offered by Diamond Computer
    >Systems regarding the recent discontinuation of TDS and would like
    >to file a complaint,

    <snip>

    For those who are as mystified as me regarding what this rant was
    about now see:

    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Although it may vary by where your credit card is domiciled
    you have six months to request a chargeback against goods
    which are defective. In practice the card issuers are rather
    reluctant to do this on software because of the ease of buying
    it, copying it and then saying its duff and getting a refund.

    However, my initial sympathy is with DCS as it sounds like
    they have found that lots of people are using their products
    without paying and the future for anti-trojan scanners is
    limited. it looks like they are a small Aussie company trying
    hard and selling inexpensive software.

    But you can't please everyone, not even Microsoft can
    manage that :)

    I've just discontinued my payroll package (written 1982)
    hope nobody sues.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Art Vark

    Rusty 1 Guest

    Well, that was one side of the story. There are many folks who were using
    this
    anti-trojan program who are seriously concerned about recouping some of
    their losses in the investment they made. I thank Art for posting this
    information. Wayne seems to be completely unresponsive to many of the
    concerns which have been voiced. With TDS already gone down the crapper, my
    guess is that his other programs like Port Explorer, Process Guard, Worm
    Guard and the like will also be "circling the bowl" very shortly. For those
    who use these programs and have not already heard about the fiasco involving
    TDS-3 and TDS-4, I refer you to the following two message boards:

    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=81b72625b8afca998f069ea1458a
    08b6&t=90449

    (Watch the wrap on that one!)

    and

    http://www.voy.com/197627/

    Both areas have ongoing discussions about the poor and shabby treatment
    receive from Wayne at Diamond Computer Systems. I think this will help to
    provide a more balanced view of what has transpired-- essentially, the
    program was cut even thought the company had continued to sell it under the
    premise that a new version was imminent. DCS now appears reluctant to back
    their promises and has not been responsive to customers inquiries regarding
    refunds.
    Rusty 1, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Art Vark

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:02:31 -0400, "Rusty 1"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >essentially, the
    >program was cut even thought the company had continued to sell it under the
    >premise that a new version was imminent. DCS now appears reluctant to back
    >their promises and has not been responsive to customers inquiries regarding
    >refunds.

    Or looking at it from the other side, a small company sold a program
    inexpensivly which required constant updating and lots of internet
    bandwidth and which was widely pirated and decided they were not
    making anything out of it so pulled the plug.

    Given that MS give away their anti-spyware software, as do Adaware
    and Spybot, the anti-virus programs now cover trojans, who needs the
    product anyway? If it cleaned up your machjne once its cheaper than
    having someone do the job professionally.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 14, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    _way says...
    > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:02:31 -0400, "Rusty 1"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >essentially, the
    > >program was cut even thought the company had continued to sell it under the
    > >premise that a new version was imminent. DCS now appears reluctant to back
    > >their promises and has not been responsive to customers inquiries regarding
    > >refunds.

    > Or looking at it from the other side, a small company sold a program
    > inexpensivly which required constant updating and lots of internet
    > bandwidth and which was widely pirated and decided they were not
    > making anything out of it so pulled the plug.
    >
    > Given that MS give away their anti-spyware software, as do Adaware
    > and Spybot, the anti-virus programs now cover trojans, who needs the
    > product anyway? If it cleaned up your machjne once its cheaper than
    > having someone do the job professionally.

    In reading the boards it seems like there are some who would rather have
    seen them go bankrupt just so they can get another version, to hell with
    DCS if it broke them. A small company, forced to discontinue a product
    that defined them yet one they could not afford to continue and one that
    had no future. My sympathies also lie with DCS, some decisions are
    difficult enough to make without the guarantee of assholes trying to
    turn it into a huge conspiricy on the Net. They have offered to refund
    and/or grant free licenses to other products. They don't owe anyone any
    more than that.

    /steve
    --
    Free Privacy Resources
    http://www.cotse.net/resources.html
    Stephen K. Gielda, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Art Vark

    Art Vark Guest

    That' the problem Steve---- Wayne is refusing to give refunds to folks who
    already have licenses for the programs he is offering licenses for. Folks
    who bought in good faith are NOT being offered any refunds.

    Art Vark, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Art Vark

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:26:03 -0400, "Art Vark" <>
    wrote:

    >That' the problem Steve---- Wayne is refusing to give refunds to folks who
    >already have licenses for the programs he is offering licenses for. Folks
    >who bought in good faith are NOT being offered any refunds.

    You mean they have never even run the program and got
    value out of it?

    The money involved is pretty insignificant, rather
    less than one might pay for a years updates of McAfee
    or Norton.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com