Possible PSU Problems?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnUK, May 29, 2004.

  1. JohnUK

    JohnUK Guest

    Hi,

    I have a homebuilt PC which has been working fine for the past 16
    months.

    The system has been hanging (normally with a clunk) very recently and
    I presumed was coming from hard disk.

    The specification was as follows :-

    P4 Celeron 1.7, Socket 478 Motherboard
    2 x 256MB 333Mhz DDR RAM
    300 watt PSU
    CD rewriter
    Maxtor DiamondPlus 60gbyte Hard Disk.
    MaxtorDiamondMax 120 Hard Disk

    I've been trying to track down a problem with my PC, originally I
    thought it was a hard disk problem, the Maxtor test software said
    everything was OK. Anyway I replaced the drive to no avail.

    I then replaced the motherboard including processor and memory ( all
    new and Tested by the manufacturer). The new motherboard is a Matsonic
    8147C with AMD Athlon processor and 512mbyte of memory. This seemed to
    work fine initially but the occassion freeze normally when running the
    hard disk. Again manufacturers test software says everything OK.

    I have installed Motherboard monitor 5.

    The main figures are :-

    CPU Temp 77c
    Case Temp 34c

    I'm concerned about the voltages which are below :-

    +3.3 3.44v
    +5 4.26v
    +12.00 10.98v
    -12.00 -4.98v (!!!!)
    -5.00 0.00v

    Is the 12volts the problem?

    As the PSU is the only thing I've not changed is this the problem! If
    it needs changing should I plump for a 400w or is a 300w big enough.

    Thanks in advance for any help

    John
    (Stressed and very confussed)
    JohnUK, May 29, 2004

  2. JohnUK

    Unknown Guest

    Either you have a bad meter or power supply. You cannot operate a computer and
    modem with those voltages.

    Unknown, May 29, 2004

  3. JohnUK

    DjM Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:09:04 -0700, JohnUK blabbed:

    > I have installed Motherboard monitor 5.
    >
    > The main figures are :-
    >
    > CPU Temp 77c
    > Case Temp 34c
    >
    > I'm concerned about the voltages which are below :-
    >
    > +3.3 3.44v
    > +5 4.26v
    > +12.00 10.98v
    > -12.00 -4.98v (!!!!)
    > -5.00 0.00v
    >
    > Is the 12volts the problem?

    Is your CPU Temp really at 77 degrees celtigrade, or was it a typo? If so
    that is most likely your problem.....check it again and if it is then get
    back here and I'll tell you possible solutions as it shouldnt really be
    above 50 degrees C.

    On the other hand your +12v rail is awfully low, does your PSU have
    anything to vary the voltage on the rails? (all depends how good it is,
    the good Antec ones do..)

    Ok, hope i helped,

    DjM
    DjM, May 29, 2004
  4. JohnUK

    ICee Guest

    JohnUK wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a homebuilt PC which has been working fine for the past 16
    > months.
    >
    > The system has been hanging (normally with a clunk) very recently and
    > I presumed was coming from hard disk.
    >
    > The specification was as follows :-
    >
    > P4 Celeron 1.7, Socket 478 Motherboard
    > 2 x 256MB 333Mhz DDR RAM
    > 300 watt PSU
    > CD rewriter
    > Maxtor DiamondPlus 60gbyte Hard Disk.
    > MaxtorDiamondMax 120 Hard Disk
    >
    > I've been trying to track down a problem with my PC, originally I
    > thought it was a hard disk problem, the Maxtor test software said
    > everything was OK. Anyway I replaced the drive to no avail.
    >
    > I then replaced the motherboard including processor and memory ( all
    > new and Tested by the manufacturer). The new motherboard is a Matsonic
    > 8147C with AMD Athlon processor and 512mbyte of memory. This seemed to
    > work fine initially but the occassion freeze normally when running the
    > hard disk. Again manufacturers test software says everything OK.
    >
    > I have installed Motherboard monitor 5.
    >
    > The main figures are :-
    >
    > CPU Temp 77c
    > Case Temp 34c
    >
    > I'm concerned about the voltages which are below :-
    >
    > +3.3 3.44v
    > +5 4.26v
    > +12.00 10.98v
    > -12.00 -4.98v (!!!!)
    > -5.00 0.00v
    >
    > Is the 12volts the problem?
    >
    > As the PSU is the only thing I've not changed is this the problem! If
    > it needs changing should I plump for a 400w or is a 300w big enough.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help
    >
    > John
    > (Stressed and very confussed)

    The power supply is most likely the problem, especially with those low
    voltages. Get at least a 400 watt PSU, good quality, such as Antec or
    Enermax.
    ICee, May 29, 2004
  5. JohnUK

    one_red_eye Guest

    "JohnUK" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a homebuilt PC which has been working fine for the past 16
    > months.
    >
    > The system has been hanging (normally with a clunk) very recently and
    > I presumed was coming from hard disk.
    >
    > The specification was as follows :-
    >
    > P4 Celeron 1.7, Socket 478 Motherboard
    > 2 x 256MB 333Mhz DDR RAM
    > 300 watt PSU
    > CD rewriter
    > Maxtor DiamondPlus 60gbyte Hard Disk.
    > MaxtorDiamondMax 120 Hard Disk
    >
    > I've been trying to track down a problem with my PC, originally I
    > thought it was a hard disk problem, the Maxtor test software said
    > everything was OK. Anyway I replaced the drive to no avail.
    >
    > I then replaced the motherboard including processor and memory ( all
    > new and Tested by the manufacturer). The new motherboard is a Matsonic
    > 8147C with AMD Athlon processor and 512mbyte of memory. This seemed to
    > work fine initially but the occassion freeze normally when running the
    > hard disk. Again manufacturers test software says everything OK.
    >
    > I have installed Motherboard monitor 5.
    >
    > The main figures are :-
    >
    > CPU Temp 77c
    > Case Temp 34c
    >
    > I'm concerned about the voltages which are below :-
    >
    > +3.3 3.44v
    > +5 4.26v
    > +12.00 10.98v
    > -12.00 -4.98v (!!!!)
    > -5.00 0.00v
    >
    > Is the 12volts the problem?
    >
    > As the PSU is the only thing I've not changed is this the problem! If
    > it needs changing should I plump for a 400w or is a 300w big enough.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help
    >
    > John
    > (Stressed and very confussed)

    Get an Antec True 330 or higher. Antec power supplies are more stable than
    other brands at higher outputs.

    --
    Despite the high cost of living,
    it remains popular.
    one_red_eye, May 29, 2004
  6. JohnUK wrote:

    > The main figures are :-

    > CPU Temp 77c

    That's pretty hot, albeit probably a bit under the ceiling for
    your CPU. Unless you're overclocking, it shouldn't be that high.

    > I'm concerned about the voltages which are below :-

    > +3.3 3.44v
    > +5 4.26v
    > +12.00 10.98v
    > -12.00 -4.98v (!!!!)
    > -5.00 0.00v

    > Is the 12volts the problem?

    I've never seen any numbers as far off as any of those, John. They're
    usually within a few hundreths, in my experience.

    > As the PSU is the only thing I've not changed is this the problem! If
    > it needs changing should I plump for a 400w or is a 300w big enough.

    I believe that 300's pretty skimpy, these days. And you don't mention
    brand, but I'll bet it's a cheapie, too. With a respected manufacturer
    (Antec, say, which I use (480W TruPower) you get better regulated output
    *and* less burnouts.

    Replace it, and don't skimp, would be my advice.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 29, 2004