[Possible OT] Wierd effects with CD player

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    Try this:
    Get a CD walkman (or equivalent CD playing device with headphone socket,
    and turn off G-protection or equivalent)
    Put a CD in (an ORIGINAL CD, or one burnt from a lossless source [NOT
    MP3]).
    Play the CD, wait for the vocals to start.
    Pull the headphones cord out by about 1mm or less (you will probably have
    to hold it there, it will want to pop out or back in).
    On SOME CDs, the vocals will completely vanish.
    On others they wont, but other parts, eg guitar, drums, may.
    I quickly tried a few CDs:
    Where the vocals disappeared:
    Metallica - Kill 'em all
    Guns 'n roses - Greatest hits (some songs only, eg Sweet child o' mine and
    Patience). Note that with these 2 songs it seems they have applied a slight
    echo or reverb effect to the vocals and that is all you can hear of them.
    Where it had little effect:
    Megadeth - Rust in peace
    Pantera - Cowboys from hell - Some interesting things happened with the
    drums though.

    I also tried listening to a version of Sweet child o' mine burnt from MP3
    and heard a wavery metallic effect (sort of like the old WMAs used to sound
    all the time :D )

    My theory is that the vocals are mixed across both channels, with a slight
    delay on one track and they somehow cancel each other out?
    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004

  2. -[Myth]-

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:26:02 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >Try this:
    >Get a CD walkman (or equivalent CD playing device with headphone socket,
    >and turn off G-protection or equivalent)
    >Put a CD in (an ORIGINAL CD, or one burnt from a lossless source [NOT
    >MP3]).
    >Play the CD, wait for the vocals to start.
    >Pull the headphones cord out by about 1mm or less (you will probably have
    >to hold it there, it will want to pop out or back in).
    >On SOME CDs, the vocals will completely vanish.
    >On others they wont, but other parts, eg guitar, drums, may.
    >I quickly tried a few CDs:
    >Where the vocals disappeared:
    >Metallica - Kill 'em all
    >Guns 'n roses - Greatest hits (some songs only, eg Sweet child o' mine and
    >Patience). Note that with these 2 songs it seems they have applied a slight
    >echo or reverb effect to the vocals and that is all you can hear of them.
    >Where it had little effect:
    >Megadeth - Rust in peace
    >Pantera - Cowboys from hell - Some interesting things happened with the
    >drums though.
    >
    >I also tried listening to a version of Sweet child o' mine burnt from MP3
    >and heard a wavery metallic effect (sort of like the old WMAs used to sound
    >all the time :D )
    >
    >My theory is that the vocals are mixed across both channels, with a slight
    >delay on one track and they somehow cancel each other out?

    Or the vocals are only on one channel and pulling it out slightly
    disconnects one?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Nov 13, 2004

  3. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:50:58 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:26:02 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Try this:
    >>Get a CD walkman (or equivalent CD playing device with headphone socket,
    >>and turn off G-protection or equivalent)
    >>Put a CD in (an ORIGINAL CD, or one burnt from a lossless source [NOT
    >>MP3]).
    >>Play the CD, wait for the vocals to start.
    >>Pull the headphones cord out by about 1mm or less (you will probably have
    >>to hold it there, it will want to pop out or back in).
    >>On SOME CDs, the vocals will completely vanish.
    >>On others they wont, but other parts, eg guitar, drums, may.
    >>I quickly tried a few CDs:
    >>Where the vocals disappeared:
    >>Metallica - Kill 'em all
    >>Guns 'n roses - Greatest hits (some songs only, eg Sweet child o' mine and
    >>Patience). Note that with these 2 songs it seems they have applied a slight
    >>echo or reverb effect to the vocals and that is all you can hear of them.
    >>Where it had little effect:
    >>Megadeth - Rust in peace
    >>Pantera - Cowboys from hell - Some interesting things happened with the
    >>drums though.
    >>
    >>I also tried listening to a version of Sweet child o' mine burnt from MP3
    >>and heard a wavery metallic effect (sort of like the old WMAs used to sound
    >>all the time :D )
    >>
    >>My theory is that the vocals are mixed across both channels, with a slight
    >>delay on one track and they somehow cancel each other out?

    > Or the vocals are only on one channel and pulling it out slightly
    > disconnects one?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    No, its across both channels when its fully connected.
    -[Myth]-, Nov 13, 2004
  4. -[Myth]-

    Krazy BoB Guest

    Some one has to much time on their hands to figure this one out

    lol

    Krazy BoB, Nov 13, 2004