Possible Mozilla keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Daniel Prince, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. I use Mozilla 1.6 on Windows XP SP1 on an Epox 8RGA+ with a gig of
    ram and a SIIG ATA133 controller.

    Lately I have had an intermittent problem with repeated key
    sequences and with my keyboard going completely dead. I am sure it
    is not a stuck key because it is a sequence of keys and restarting
    Windows always fixes the problem.

    One of the key sequences that repeated was alt-g, v, u, return.
    Another time it was S, control-end, return. I have tried three
    different keyboards and it happened with all of them. Sometimes it
    will happen just a few hours after I boot up and sometimes I can go
    several days without it happening.

    Usually the key sequence will repeat four or five times and then My
    computer will beep several times and the keyboard will stop working
    completely. Sometimes the sequence will keep repeating until I
    manage to restart Windows with the mouse or the reset button. Once
    the keyboard just went dead without any repeated key sequences that
    I noticed.

    Recently I started closing down Mozilla when I was not using it
    because if I restart my computer with the reset button or Windows
    shuts its self down, Mozilla loses all its settings. Since I
    started keeping Mozilla closed most of the time, the keyboard
    problem has occurred MUCH less frequently and it has only happened
    when Mozilla was open.

    Does anyone know what is causing this problem and how I can stop it
    from happening completely? Is there a version of Mozilla that would
    not cause this problem? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
    it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.
    Daniel Prince, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Daniel Prince

    Travis Evans Guest

    Daniel Prince wrote:
    > Lately I have had an intermittent problem with repeated key
    > sequences and with my keyboard going completely dead. I am sure it
    > is not a stuck key because it is a sequence of keys and restarting
    > Windows always fixes the problem.
    >
    > One of the key sequences that repeated was alt-g, v, u, return.
    > Another time it was S, control-end, return. I have tried three
    > different keyboards and it happened with all of them. Sometimes it
    > will happen just a few hours after I boot up and sometimes I can go
    > several days without it happening.

    Since you said you tried several keyboards, one suggestion I was
    thinking of (make sure the keyboard is plugged in securely) probably
    doesn't apply.

    The only other hardware problem I can think of might be that there is
    something wrong with the keyboard port, but I doubt that.

    > Recently I started closing down Mozilla when I was not using it
    > because if I restart my computer with the reset button or Windows
    > shuts its self down, Mozilla loses all its settings. Since I
    > started keeping Mozilla closed most of the time, the keyboard
    > problem has occurred MUCH less frequently and it has only happened
    > when Mozilla was open.

    I don't know how likely this is, but could it be possible that the
    version of Mozilla you got was corrupted in some way that caused it to
    behave strangely (assuming you downloaded it)? (Bad downloads happen
    sometimes.) You might try downloading a new version of Mozilla and
    reinstall it and see if the problem still happens.

    Other than the possibility of your having some sort of computer virus, I
    can't think of anything else at the moment that might be causing it.

    --
    Travis
    [Remove all three q's to demunge my email address.]
    Travis Evans, Nov 28, 2004