    I know there's not much to go on here, but I'm hoping that someone has had an experience like that (the beeping) and can point to a general aspect of the computer that I should look at in order to fix this. Bad motherboard, RAM not seated correctly, etc...

    Any help would be appreciated.
    B.K.
    Intrinsic, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Intrinsic

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The monitor flashing yellow/orange means it senses no signal from the computer (either built in video on the motherboard or a separate video card). Constant beeping is an error code probably unique to the motherboard manufacturer. You'll need to look at the machine as this can't be fixed over the phone. If the machine was working fine before the "outage", perhaps a power surge hit the machine that caused the power supply, motherboard, RAM, or videocard to fail. It could just be a loose connection. If you get your hands on the machine, plug it into a known good power outlet (ideally through a surge protector which is something it should have had in the first place) and see if it tries to post the BIOS information. If you get nothing but beeps, open the box up and look for any fried components. A likely cause is the power supply (assuming there was a power issue in the home) but sometimes you need to try PSU, then RAM, then video card to see if it boots up. If you can learn what the error codes mean (usually "no video card, no RAM, bad motherboard, etc.) it may help you diagnose the problem quicker.
    bigal, Dec 6, 2008